No demos anymore?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

With all of this talk about Morrowind, I thought I'd check to see if there was a demo I could check out to see if I wanted to invest in the game only to find that there wasn't one. Thought that having a playable demo level or something was standard practice (at least it was at one point). Has this been going on for long (haven't really paid much attention to demos for a while).

2. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I think not releasing a demo is becoming a trend. The shareware days of games like Wolf3D and DukeNukem3D appear to be going by the wayside. Though some recent big games - the new Wolfenstein and the new Jedi Knight, for instance - have had demos released ... someone posted the reasons for this a while ago, but now I can't remember what they were.
    Remember though that a lot of the big RPGs have traditionally not had demos. To properly capture the feel of the game the demos would just have to be enormous, too large for many to download. Maybe that is the case with Morrowind, I don't know. I'd love to see a demo for it though -and GTA3!

3. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I think the standard practice is still to release a demo. More often than not, anymore, it comes AFTER the full release, rather than before.

4. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Yup, sometimes it takes awhile too.

Pretty much the only demos that come out before the games nowadays are the ones for EA Sports (sometimes) and those machine test beta demos.