What's new

No Criterion CollectionTrainspotting DVD.... (1 Viewer)

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I have heard for the longest time that Criterion would be releasing Trainspotting. I finally shot off an email to Jon Mulvaney at Criterion asking him if this was ever going to happen. I got a response from him today:
Dear Dwayne,
Unfortunately, Criterion has no plans to release TRAINSPOTTING as we do not hold the DVD rights to this title. Should we ever acquire such rights, you can be sure to see a Criterion edition of this interesting film.
Thanks for your mail and please feel free to contact me with any future questions or concerns.
Best,
JM
Kind of makes me depressed. I heard the LD was a great release.
Does Buena have any plans on giving this film better treatment on DVD? Or should I just bite the bullet and get the current release. I have been itching to watch this film again. The last time I saw it was when it hit theatrically. I listen to the soundtrack on a regular basis though. This movie has one of the best ending songs ever. Anyway, what should I do? Bite or wait.
------------------
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
This is disappointing. I sold my BV DVD of this some time ago in anticipation of a Criterion release, so my thoughts now turn to buying it anew.
But can anyone clarify if the Canadian version is different from the US release. I seem to recall a comment that like the Can version of Good Will Hunting, it was anamorphic.
Anyone got the Canadian version and can confirm specs?

Jun-Dai Bates

Stunt Coordinator
Where did you hear that they were releasing it in the first place? The only place I saw was criteriondvd.com and I was never sure if they had received confirmation from Criterion on that, or if they had just made it up (They had zilch for details). In any case, Criteriondvd.com recently confirmed the Criterion won't be releasing it. My recommendation is that you buy a new copy of Trainspotting (I'm pretty sure that Criterion won't be releasing it within the next year), and never sell dvd's in anticipation of better editions--wait until you have the better edition in your hands.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
The Canadian release of Trainspotting is NOT anamorphic.
The transfer isn't great, just adequate.
Looks like we no longer will be seeing Criterion releasing major titles.
Hopefully Buena Vista will give Trainspotting the DVD a re-release that it deserves.

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
I recall the rumors in the beginning of the year about The Rock, Spartacus and Trainspotting from Criterion.
The Rock came out.
Spartacus came out.
No Trainspotting.
I guess that's how things work in this crazy hobby. May be a Vista Series release is on it's way? you never know...

Aaron Croft

Stunt Coordinator
So how is the current release??
I've heard it's not-so-good.
ALL I care about is the video and sound, I really don't care about any extras.
So does anyone want to comment??
I'm talking about the US release specifically.
Thanks!
Aaron Croft.
[Edited last by Aaron Croft on August 29, 2001 at 12:26 AM]

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Both the U.S. and Canadian releases use Criterion's uncut, unrated transfer (the R-rating on the jacket of the U.S. release is incorrect...it is unrated). Most of the supplements from the Criterion laserdisc are found on the Canadian release. The main missing supplement is the audio commentary.
Get the Canadian release from Alliance as it is the closest thing available to the Criterion LD.
Jeff

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Or your could actually get the Criterion LD, as I have done. They can be had pretty reasonable too on Ebay.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Both the U.S. and Canadian releases use Criterion's uncut, unrated transfer (the R-rating on the jacket of the U.S. release is incorrect...it is unrated).
Sadly, this is not true. The Alliance (Canadian) release is edited for content. In the "First Shag in Ages" scene, they replaced a few frames of Diane (Kelly MacDonald) reaching between her legs with a pan across a soccer crowd on the television. It is a frame for frame replacement and there is no change in audio or running time. This was one of the two edits done for the R-rated US release. The mislabeled Buena Vista (USA) release is unedited as Jeff said. DVD File's "cut list" has been wrong about this for some time, now.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
I want to see Man Bites Dog and Sonatine on Dvd too.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
This is very disappointing. I have been eagerly awaiting the Criterion Version of Trainspotting for ages.
Hopefully they can acquire the rights or BV will put out a decent SE.
Wouldn't mind a Criterion release of Man Bites Dog either mind you.
Don

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks