No component signal from my DVD player to my Sharp HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanielN, Sep 29, 2002.

1. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator

I just got my Sharp HDTV and tried connecting my Aiwa DVD player to it using the component output and got no signal. To connect this I just took 3 regular composite cables and matched up the connections. Ive been reading other posts that state a component video cable is simply a bundle of 3 composite cables.

So...why do I get no signal? Do I need a HDTV specific component video cable? Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Do you have the 64 inch model 6400 whatever? It could be that you need to set the menu on the DVD player (and/or switch) to tell it progressive. Some of the Sharp TVs, like the model I noted, also needed to be turned off after you change the DVD to output progressive and then turned back on.

3. DanielN

The Sharp TV is the 55RWP4H. From what I read before I made this purchase is that the TV has its own line doubler so when I play a DVD it creates a 540p image.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    The DVD player should have a set-up menu or something to define its output as progressive. The HD inputs on digital TVs generally bypass all the circuitry and take the signal right from your DVD player. On the other inputs (e.g. composite) some TVs will process the signal in the fashion that you indicated.

5. DanielN

Ok Phil, let me get this straight [​IMG]
    To take advantage of the line doubler on my Sharp 55RWP4H I can only use the composite input. For a 540p image from a DVD I need to use the component output from a progressive DVD player.
    Yes?

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    That is generally how it works. Below is info about your model. Look at the owner's manual as I would imagine the details would be in there. A progressive scan dvd player would normally output 480p.

55RWP4H | Televisions

The 55" wide-screen rear-projection HDTV monitor delivers a beautiful 1080i high-definition picture. Sharp's proprietary DDFC1080™ technology upconverts traditional video sources to high resolution picture quality.

Features

DDFC-1080™

upconverts traditional analog video sources to HDTV picture quality.

10-Bit 3D-YC Digital Comb Filter

less noise and clearer NTSC images.

Smart Converge

automatic calibration between convergence points makes convergence more accurate and easier than ever.

TWIN-1080™

lets you view two high resolution input sources simultaneously (HD, SD or 480i.

2 HD Inputs

Video Inputs

7. DanielN

Thanks Phil, I knew the specs already. I just didnt know about the line doubler working only with the composite input. I took LOTR last night and popped it in my DVD player and plugged it into the composite input and I got a great picture! I dont know if it gets any better but to me the picture looked incredible.
    I only payed $1098 for the TV so I think I got a steal [​IMG]
    Thanks again for your help.
    Dan

8. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Wow Dan, that is a steal. I've seen the TV. Just shows you how far prices have come down. The 64 inch hi-def ready that is about 3 years old sitting in my basement waiting for me to finish it was about $6,500. I think list on yours was in the low $3k area?