No component connection on receiver.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Norris, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

My receiver does not have component in/out, my soon to arrive plasma TV does. What can I do? I heard Radio Shack has a converter for this purpose right?

Thanks!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I doubt it would actually be a "converter." It's probably more like an "adapter." I know RS sells a gizmo that allows regular composite video signals to be send down an S-video feed, but it's merely for the sake of convenience (i.e. simplified connections) - you don't get the improved picture.

Bottom line, if you find something like this it's going to reduce the improvements of component video to whatever is coming out the other end - composite or S. So you'd be no better off than if you had used S or compsite to begin with.

Your best bet, if you can do it, is to send your DVD player's component video send directly to the TV, and everything else in the system to another TV input, via the receiver.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

Run your component straight from your sources into the TV. As for component switching, do a search on the A/V sources and/or Receivers, Seperates and Amps sections on these forums, I am sure there is a very long thread about this somewhere, that mentions specific brands.

4. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like a reason for me to upgrade my receiver. [​IMG] My budget is $500, I'm thinking of HK or Yamaha.

Thanks!

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I'm confused. Is there a reason you *need* to go through the receiver? You don't need to unless you want it for convenience, or you have too many sources and not enough inputs on your TV.

I'd recommend you'd run directly to the TV anyway. Though upgrading a receiver for better audio may not be too bad an idea, depending on what you have now. Though I would definitley be hesitant to do so just for video switching. There are separate switcher boxes that you can buy as well.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

First, most recievers do not convert one video signal to another. Lots of people hook this through their reciever:

- A VCR with Composite cables
    - A Sat/CATV box with SVideo
    - A DVD with Component

Then run 1 wire to the TV. Then they are shocked to find out that the can get audio, but 2 of the video sources never show up.

Second, A reciever acting like a switch really needs 2 inputs of the same type

Consider this:

- Component cable from the DVD player to the reciever
    - Component cable from the reciever to the TV

Now the reciever will switch component video from the DVD player to the .... er uhhh the DVD player?

You only have 1 component video source - why run through a switcher when you dont need to?

7. Keith Outhouse

Keith Outhouse Stunt Coordinator

8. MarkSherm

MarkSherm Auditioning

My stereo receiver does not have component (nor s-video) jacks either...but i simply ran my satellite receiver s-video out directly into my dvd recorder s-video in and then ran the dvd recorder component video out directy into the tv component video in. As for sound, i have the satellite receiver audio out run into the dvd recorder in and then the dvd recorder audio out into the stereo receiver audio in. Works great - to include playing dvds, burning dvds, playing regular satellite programming.
    I would also like to upgrade to a better stereo receiver for better sound quality, but for picture quality it would be a waste of $ when you can simply bypass the video connections in the stereo receiver as i and others have mentioned.
    Good Luck.

9. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

To answer some of the questions that were raised:

I have more than one sources that have component outputs (2 DVD players). The reason is that the DVD changer does not play different types of DVD consistently, it's an older model. I copied lots of commercial DVD movies onto DVD blanks and buy + or - depending on what's on sale. My DVD burner can do either + or -. The DVD single player can handle both formats while the changer cannot, that's why I have 2 DVD players. Also, my changer is full, all the movies in there are catalogued with descriptions and a thumbnail for the corresponding movie, plus it's just more convenient to pop a DVD into the single player than having to rotate the magazine, and take out the disc and insert the new disc. And I have just run wires for a 7.1 setup, and my current receiver only has 5.1.

Thanks all!