No Color with S-Video connection from DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Lehmkuhl, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Mark Lehmkuhl

Mark Lehmkuhl Stunt Coordinator

I just had my 6.5 year old Hitachi 50" RPTV repaired (would not turn on at all). Repairman found a board component fried and replaced it so the set works. Put in a DVD (color movie, not B&W) and only got Black&White on the TV. Feed is S-video from a Sony 7700 DVD player.

Composite cable feed from player to tv however shows color. S-video from DVD player to tv(tried all 3 S-video ports on tv) does not. S-video cable ends show no broken or bent pins.

Could be the cable, but I hate to spend $$ on another cable to find out its not the problem.

Question: Could the S-video circuitry/controller or whatever is in the tv be bad, and the cable is not?

2. Mark Lehmkuhl

Mark Lehmkuhl Stunt Coordinator

It was the S-video cable.

3. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

It could be the cable (or output a bad DVD output or TV input) but just in case you haven't tried it yet, I would try to disconnect then reconnect the S-Video cable from the DVD player and the set. On a few rare occasions I perhaps didn't have the S-video cable firmly seated in the "in" or "out" jack, and the result was a B&W picture. "Re-seating" the cable on both ends could do it.

A best case scenario of course. :wink: