No Checks At Your Eb???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Keefe, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

I put this in the software section because frankly thats what they sell. Christmas eve I went to EB to pick up a few games. When I whipped out my trusty little checkbook, I was informed that EB no longer accepts checks. I thought she was kidding, but then she flipped around the sign that stated:EFFECTIVE DEC 1 EB WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTING CHECKS.

She then proceeded to tell me it was a nationwide decision. I was then told that since so many people have credit and/or debit cards, they didn't think they needed to accept checks any longer.

I informed her that since other places were willing to accept checks I didn't need to shop at EB any longer.

Can someone confirm if this is indeed a nationwide policy?

If so, what do you guys think about it???

Again, I posted here because it affects gamers more than anything else...

dan

2. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

To be fair, checks (as you Americans so quaintly call them [​IMG]) are a large hassle for shops to deal with, and if they don't think they will lose too much business with the decision I can see why they would do it. Debit and credit cards are so much easier, you don't have to worry about bouncing, and they are faster as well so you need fewer till staff. I haven't used a chequebook for anything other than paying bills through the post for years. I'm sorry to hear its a problem for you, but I'd imagine you're a fairly small minority.

3. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Dan,
    I think your frustration is justified. Why? Well, two reasons actually.
    1) It should have been better publicized, and further in advance. All receipts or shopping bag inserts should have that written on them for a few months ahead of time so you have a 100% chance of seeing it.
    2) Why change the policy for the holiday season? Personally, I think they did it because they feared everybody would be lining up for their X-cube [​IMG] and bouncing checks left and right. Is this a fault of the american public or the store? Anybody's guess.
    But there are ways of electronically verifying checks (though I am not sure exactly how this technology works, or how well it works). Nonetheless, especially for the holiday season they should expect many parents in the store armed with checkbooks, ready to buy junior his copy of Grand Theft Auto 3.
    Honestly, though Dan, with the rise in popularity of the check card, I see the use of paper checks going out of style very soon. My wife loves to write checks - she says there is something empowering in writing out a payment. She says it feels like real money as opposed to the act of charging something where money comes out of the electronic ether.
    As said in the timeless movie "The Graduate" - you know what the future is? Plastic.
    Jason

4. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

I used to work for a retail shop and taking checks was almost like taking a credit card. You could scan the numbers on the bottom of the check and it would get approved/declined. From what I learned about the one compnay we used (EquiFax) they did a search in the account number to see if funds existed in the account and if the account was a high risk(meaning bounced alot of checks).

I could see some stores getting rid of this because of the sometimes additional hardware needed and lets not forget this service to approve checks cost money. Maybe since the exsistence of debit/check cards, enough checks were not being used nationwide to justify keeping this service.

That is just my insight into it. I would agree that it is a hassle if you have always used a check in the store and they did not give a proper warning on not taking that form of payment. That would be like K-Mart or Wal-mart stop accepting Visa/MC.

Jeff_P

5. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Up here in Canada, Interac (what y'all call check cards) have been ubiquitous for five, six years now. Your ATM card, bank issued (as in open an account, they give you a card) works everywhere. We even have wireless terminals; some taxis take them. Hell, drive-thru windows at pretty much all the fast food joints take them.

The only things I EVER use cheques for are rent and the occasional parking ticket.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

My mother has a debit card, she still writes checks. EVEN THOUGH the money won't be drawn out of her account till later than it would be with the check, she still writes checks. Drives me NUTS! Checks are totally outdated, and I can't wait until they're just dead.
    Though I will miss the cool pictures you can get put on them [​IMG]

7. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Bout time you Americans got out of the stone age.

8. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

do you know how much I hate it when i stand behind someone at the supermarket whos writing a damn check!!!?? jesus..its the year 2002 almost..according to Clark, we should have been living on the moon by now..but we're not..know why? because people are still writing checks..

(no offense to the person who started this thread..but seriously...debit card or credit card..or cash...its not difficult.)

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

They also changed there return policy as well. You can no longer returned an opened game!![​IMG]
    Previously they had a 10 day return policy, no questions asked. That was important to me and one of the main reasons I shopped at EB. I can see how allot of people would abuse this and I totally understand there reasoning in changing this policy but I was not one that did abuse it. I dont like taking chances on most games released (I usually wait for reviews and such) and I always felt safe in buying a games I wasn't sure about at EB. If I didn't end up liking it I could return it and get something else that I would enjoy more.
    A majority of the time when I bought a game I was unsure of I would end up keeping it since I would end up liking it. (examples: Oddworld, WWf Royal Rumble (DC), Phantasy Star Online, Guilty Gear X) I didn't want to wait for reviews for these games and was really uncertain whether I should buy them or not. In the end I kept all of them. I probably would not have bought them if EB did not have the return policy that they did.
    Its disheartening and I am disappointed as I wont be taking many chances on titles I'm not sure of or are lesser known anymore. Its unfortunate that people abuse these things.

10. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Thankfully I think Babbages still has the 7 day, no questions asked retun policy. I'll have to check and make sure but I hope they do.

12. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

What the hell's a cheque? [​IMG]
    Haven't used one in years, what with debit cards and online banking to pay bills.

13. Bill Gato

Bill Gato Stunt Coordinator

Just to inform you debit card users out there: most banks charge around $0.25 if you use your debit card as an ATM card (you have to punch in your PIN code). I believe they call it a "point of sale" charge (something like that).

If you use your debit card as a credit card, you avoid that charge. My wife and I make it a point of using our debit card as a Visa card whenever possible. Those little charges add up over the course of a year.

14. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

15. Romier S

Romier S Producer

16. Michael Hudson

Michael Hudson Stunt Coordinator

I have used check cards on three differnt accouts for years and never been charged a fee at a merchant.

17. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    The merchant has to pay the debit card fee to the merchant account company, much like a credit card fee, except it is flat and not a percentage (usually $0.25-$0.35 per transaction). If the check card is used like a credit card and not a debit card (i.e. you sign the receipt instead of using a PIN), then credit card fees apply. The only place I've been that passes on the merchant fee to the customer is Steak'n'Shake. But I don't carry cash and I love S'n'S, so it's a small price to pay.