What's new

no center speaker detected on my 5es (1 Viewer)

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I just noticed that I am not getting center channel output from my 5es. The cable/speaker is ok, if I switch it to one of my fronts, the center speaker plays ok.

If I go to speaker setup, center is set to no and I cannot change it (because it can't detect anything)?

I was moving the receiver around to a new stand and didn't disconnect the speaker wires and I remember the center wire was a bit tight when moving. It seems hard to belive though that any internal connection would get affected by pulling on the wire? I have banana plugs. I tried taking the bananas off and just using the wire but no luck either.

Any ideas? I hate to take it to the shop with no backup!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
First, what sound mode are you in? If you are in stereo analog direct, there might be no config for center.

If you do not have a ton of tweaks on there (since I know there are a million of them), I would suggest resetting to default values. Something you have changed somewhere else is affecting the center setup. This probably does not have anything to do with wiring. The receiver does not know what speakers are connected to it.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Phil- Hope I understand correctly, but you have to designate center channel ON if you have that option. Use the pink noise generator to insure center channel output. The suggestion of a receiver reset is a good one if all else fails.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I did a reset, no luck. On the setup mode, where you set front speakers to large/small, when I get to center, it is "grayed out", so I can't even turn it on. I was thinking if it can't detect the speaker, it wouldn't let you turn it on (maybe it checks for a resistance on the wire from the speaker?). I will see if I can turn on rear center since it is now in the same state ("grayed out").
/// nope can't turn on rear center when I switch the cables to it, either,

On the display, if I am in a surround mode, I see the "c" lit up, but there is no box around it like the speakers that are working have.

Does anyone have a Sony tech support #?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Phil- The grayed out indication means the receiver must be in two channel mode or maybe even four channel mode if you have that option. I have the feeling the problem is in the setup. With the OM in hand, go through the complete setup again. The only good thing about situations like this is once the problem is figured out, we never have the same problem again. Best of luck, and let us know if you find the solution.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Duh... I had the speaker switch set to main+3rd room. And the volume was so low, that I didn't hear those speakers on the upper level. Using the "B" speakers must disable the center and rear surround amps. Didn't find anything about this in the manual. Glad I noticed the switch position before going to a repair center!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What you describe is not mentioned in the manual, but since the 2nd and 3rd room output is limited to 2ch audio, so there are no front and rear centers available.

The only mention I saw was on pg 29, right column, under "Tips" in which it mentions that only analog sources may be used with 2nd or 3rd room, and if you were using a 2ch analog source, there is no center available. My friend doesn't have a multi channel source hooked up, but it looks like only 2ch can be passed to another room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks