No center channel information

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JohnAharris, Nov 5, 2004.

1. JohnAharris

JohnAharris Auditioning

Recently I purchased a concert DVD (Peter Frampton Live in Detroit) which is recorded in Dolby 5.1 and DTS; however, there is no center channel information.

I am new to the DVD music scene but I have not encountered a "missing center channel" before. If the DVD is recorded in 5 channels, why not use them all?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

John...

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It’s up to the producers as to which or how many channels they use. As far as the center channel specifically, I’ve heard that many artists don’t like to have their vocals isolated like that. If they do, people can turn off the other speakers, and that puts them “out there all alone.” That kind of scrutiny can be pretty unforgiving, as any little boo-boo or glitch is there for all the world to hear.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

DD can provide up to 5.1 discrete channels. How the makers of the disc want to use those channels is completely up to them.

There are many many stereo DD sources, for instance, and mono. This is just another iteration of what the producers wanted in the mix.