What's new

No "cell" cpu for the PS3. (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I tend to ignore 'reports' printed about a platform printed on a web site devoted to the competition of that platform.

I get a kick out of how at the end they turn it into an opinion piece:

Now that the PS3 will not use the Cell chip, the CPU powering the PS2 successor will not be ahead of the Moore's law, allowing the Xbox 2 to match the PS3 procesing power just by using standard technology available in 2005.
If they aren't using the "Cell" chip what are they using instead? I don't believe its been said but the web site automatically jumped to the conclusion that the xbox2 and ps3 will be on equal terms. Pretty strong statement considering no ones seen either box, software, or specs.

I'm surprised they just didn't go ahead and label the PS3 as being a flop while they are at it since they seem to know what the xbox2 is going to be about already.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
I'm not too surprised that the Cell architecture wasn't going to be ready in time for the PS3. I've studied the patent application quite a bit and what they're shooting for seemed more ambitious to me than would be practical for mass production in that time frame. Too bad, it's an exciting design. This does beg the question of what they hell they're going to use instead for the PS3.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

I don't know much about computer chips but is it realistic to get that much power in a new system?

paul h

Supporting Actor
Surely this if true is bad news ... i'd love to see what games would be like with a chip supposedly 1,000 times more powerful than the PS2.

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Please, you didn't actually buy into the whole "cell" announcements by Sony concerning the PS3 did you? It was a laughable marketing ploy, just like the ones they used for the PS2 years before its launch. Not for a second do I think that any reasonable person would have bought into it. Now if Sony stated that the PS3 would have 128Mb of RAM, a harddrive, ethernet port, four controller ports, HD support, DD5.1 in every game, and a little LCD panel on every controller, that would have been a little more believable.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Sony didn't use any marketing ploys. I expect that any day now, U.S. troops will stumble across a warehouse of PS2's to be used in an Iraq supercomputer. ;)

-Dave

JoshF

Supporting Actor
*Yawn*

Just wait until Ninendo and Microsoft send off their marketing "ploys" for their next machines. Could get interesting in la-la land.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I hope consumers learn from the past (even if little by little) and don't go for all the hype. Remember how all powerful the PS2 was supposed to be? The most impressive looking game I've seen on it is GT3 which isn't saying a whole lot. And then there's the people who say that game is only using 65% or so of the machine's power, whatever...

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
The most impressive looking game I've seen on it is GT3 which isn't saying a whole lot.
You've obviously never played Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2, Primal, Dark Cloud 2, Ratchet and Clank, Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance, ZOE The 2nd Runner, etc etc etc...

Honestly I can easily understand folks calling Sony out for its overhyping of the PS2 prior to launch (A stroke of marketing genuis might I add that has amounted to one of the most successful consoles in history whether you like it or not.)

However lets keep things in perspective. The Playstation 2 is still a fine machine. With the right developer behind it its capable of displaying some more than impressive graphics that can easily go toe to toe with some of the Gamecubes and Xbox's offerings.

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, everyone has their own devious marketing spin. Nintendo said the Ultra 64 was like a mini-SGI workstation. Microsoft can be pretty devious, but I can't think of any ploys regarding Xbox. But regardless, this thread is about the silly Sony's Cell announcements. If Nintendo and M$ pull something similar, I will certainly react in the same way.

But while we're on this subject, I'd love to speculate what you all think will stand out in the NextGen hardware? Personally I hope that 1080i can be a display resolution without any developer sacrifice. I would be very happy.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Things that I think should be standard:
Tivo-like features
Backward compatiblity
LED displays on controllers
Hard drives of a decent size (none of this 5 or 10 gig nonsense)
Wireless controllers (hopefully bluetooth or RF)
AV Component size & front-loading
HD resolutions standardized with DVI output
online play
downloadable content

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
All I know is that although I'm looking forward to the next generation of consoles, I'm not going to get excited about any specific specs until they are official and final. Although I passed on getting a PS2, I would still say that it's a fine machine and lots of fun can be had on it. I'd assume that the PS3, although potentially inferior to the next Xbox, would still be a great machine as well. Plus, it's not like these machines are so expensive that most people can't own more than one over a few years time anyway.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I was checking out some random gaming mags this evening and one story was that PS3 and X Box 2 will release on the same day sometime in 2005. If that happens it will add an interesting twist to the console wars. Had PS2 and X Box been released on the same day I think that would have taken a huge chunk out of the PS2's lead in sales.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
You've obviously never played Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2, Primal, Dark Cloud 2, Ratchet and Clank, Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance, ZOE The 2nd Runner, etc etc etc...
Sorry Romier, that was just me backlashing from waiting overnight for an overly-hyped PS2. :b I still think it's a great console, it's just not nearly the legendary machine it was supposed to be. No matter what the tech specs for PS3 will be you won't find me waiting in a line for it. I like the DVI out and bluetooth controllers ideas though!

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
With the right developer behind it its capable of displaying some more than impressive graphics that can easily go toe to toe with some of the Gamecubes and Xbox's offerings.
Romier,

I understand what you are saying, but that just isn't true. Name me one PS2 game that looks and sounds as good as Halo or Splinter Cell (Xbox) on a 65" HDTV with 5.1 surround system. There just aren't any (that I have seen).

PS2 is a fine machine, but it is still not what it was hyped to be by Sony. The part that pisses me off isn't that it didn't live up to it's hype, but that the same hype killed the awesome DC. If it was going to doom a great system like that it could have at least done it with substance instead of hype.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
The part that pisses me off isn't that it didn't live up to it's hype, but that the same hype killed the awesome DC.
Sony didn't kill the dreamcast, sega did. Sega just couldn't compete. I own a dreamcast and actually hooked it up a few months ago only to disconnect it reminding myself why I never really played it much. It was just something new at the time I bought it and thats about it.

I won't be waiting in line for any of the next consoles. I'll wait till all the fanboyish prehype dies down and then pick one or 2 when the smoke clears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks