What's new

No C Before T! (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Well, that was my foray into trying to create a catchy slogan for a mini- campaign :).
I was listening to the radio today, and one of the DJ's was talking about his holiday shopping excursion, with Christmas music going on in the background. Short version, he complained to the cashier, and apparently he wasn't the only one who did so that day.
It then balooned into a 5 minute or so conversation of how stores are getting things out as early as October. Well, I'm going to do my part to show stores that most of us don't really care for the early pushing of Christmas. Hence the, "No C before T" campaign :). It's short for, No Christmas before Thanksgiving, basically us telling the stores when we want to see the Christmas stuff pop up :).
This is an early image I've worked up in the past 10 minutes. If enough people find this campaign worthwhile, since I'm sure employees of stores are sick of it too, maby we can get something going here..

It may be a little too late for the campaign this year, but next year when stores start putting up trees in October, it might be a bit more usefull :)...

JayV

Supporting Actor
Neil, I agree with you completely and I love your Grinch poster.

But Andrew's comment almost made me do a spit-take with my coffee. Funny.

-j

brentl

Senior HTF Member
UHM.. Thanksgiving was a month ago!!
:)
Brent
The guy that spells potatoe different like!

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>I agree with you completely and I love your Grinch poster. >
Heh, if anyone has any ideas to liven it up a bit, before I set it loose on the public, ideas appreciated :)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I've worked in a furniture store the past few summers, and every July we start getting the 100's of boxes of artificial trees in, along with everything else Christmas related. Usually, these items are priced and on display by mid-October. Of course, as Christmas gets closer and closer more and more stuff gets put out, but thats beside the point.
Thanksgiving gets ignored by stores and malls, etc, because it doesnt move merchandise. Stores would rather get XMas merchandise out early and start selling it before their competitor then wait until Thanksgiving has come and gone. And part of selling XMas merchandise is putting people in the right frame of mind - i.e. music, decorations, Mall Santa's (yep, the mall Santa is out already here in DE). And as it is right now theres only what, like, 40 some days until XMas? Theres just not enough time. And if there was no XMas stuff before Thanksgiving then black Friday would be a mess for most stores!
XMas is a big time for stores to make money, so as long as they're making money off XMas they're gonna keep trying to push it earlier and earlier. And since theres big money to be made, I dont see the practice changing much :frowning:
JQ

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
O.K., let's see.
Assumption #1: Stores are in business to make money.
Assumption #2: Christmas and Hanukkah represent the biggest shopping holidays of the year.
Assumption #3: Many people like to start, and even finish, their Christmas or Hanukkah shopping early.
Assumption #4: Thanksgiving is not a major gift-giving holiday and is not celebrated as fervently as Christmas or Hanukkah.
I think these are all good assumptions. As a result, it makes sense for stores to get started on Christmas and Hanukkah early. :)

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
There's a house down the block from us that has had their tree up for a week now! Even my two young kids (8 and 5) thought that was hilarious.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Neil, that's a fun and good idea. I little locally owned gift store here had some problems this year because all the big places like K-Mart and Target started their Christmas displays so early. The little gift store had barely gotten their Halloween stuff up on the shelves, but in order to not lose a lot of the Christmas sales to the Big Ones, they had to put the Christmas stuff up... I guess that's why everyone does it. :frowning:
/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks