What's new

"No Black Bars" sticker on new Sound of Music disc (1 Viewer)

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Mike, I understand what your saying.
I have to respond to this though...
You have to understand that DVD is no longer just for those cutting edge people, it has gone mainstream
I understand that DVD is mainstream.
I would hope the forum doesn't become "one" with the mainstream, though.
Jon,
Trust me, I don't need advice from you. :laugh:

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Of course, we are under no obligation to understand why full frame presentations dominated for so long and why anyone would want to see them. That would be too reasonable.
Oh no, I'm quite aware why full frame presentations dominated for so long...I would say why, but I'd probably put my account in jeopardy.

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
Stuff like that is why most home theater people get looked at as snobbish.
I'm quite comfortable with that label. If being in favor of viewing a movie properly in my home, and being quite vocal about a trend which seems to threaten my ability to do so, makes me a snob, then snob me up.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
This argument is getting ugly... and the name calling...

Since when is defending OAR a specifically "right wing" value? I'm quite aware of members of both "wings" who will defend OAR to the death!

It is neither snobbish nor rabid to demand OAR on all films. It is also not crazy to be taken aback by instances where P&S is being PROMOTED, when we feel (generally rightfully so) that many will appreciate OAR if they only understood that 1) They were getting the whole presentation and 2) They'll have black bars on the sides anyway when they start having 16x9 sets.

Frankly I think the point that DVD succeeded wonderfully on an OAR only model is the most valid one. Why introduce Pan and Scan if OAR is an understood feature on all DVDs? Don't like OAR? Don't buy DVD. Doesn't matter how successful the format gets, you'll always find me spouting that one.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Jon,
If you new what kind of person I were, you wouldn't take offense to my postings.
But the topic of P&S is one of my "buttons".
I'm sure you're a great guy, too!
No offense, man. :)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
It is neither snobbish nor rabid to demand OAR on all films.
Nope it is not snobbish at all to demand OAR on all films, but the way some people go about it by calling people names because they prefer one way or another is where the snobbish part comes in.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
You too, man. But I was really slightly alarmed as to whether you simply were sending up some of the more vocal OAR enthusiasts or not. I'll give you benefit of the doubt and call you a comic genius - how's that? You certainly got me. :wink:
Although I would have to respectfully disagree about someone who prefers a modified aspect ratio is willfully ignorant and will maintain it is simply aesthetical, whereby one wants to keep the television screen the same size as your eye has gotten used to, there's no question that it's OAR for me every time.
OAR defenders unite! (Christ, this should be a comic book)
The ideal situation would be that EVERY release has both pan-and-scan and widescreen formats released, because then we would reap the rewards of lower pricing as it became a truly mainstream and competetive and better discs as DVD producers had to really make something special to get the consumer's attention.
And as for those who buy MAR discs - well, it's their loss, isn't it? :wink:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
C'mon Seth, that was an EXCELLENT POST! Perhaps my best laugh of the day so far. I think we should send Jay & Silent bob to take care of the beatings....

You should put it back up.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jon,
if you didn't care for the majority of comments my good freind Jerry made, your probably going to absolutly HATE mine.
The owner of this fine site, Ron Epstein, a man with more connections than the phone company ;), agrees with this opinion...OAR should be forced upon the general public. I could not agree more.
This is the ONLY way it will ever be accepted by Joe and Jane! What's the alternative? Give up watching movies on dvd forever because of the black bars? They won't do that, they will eventually have to cave and accept OAR. As Jerry eluded to, the general public should not have the choice of the two, if a film was shot in 2.35:1, that's how it will be viewed on dvd, period.
P&S/fullscreen should no longer be offered. Plain and simple.
If this is elitisism, than i'm guilty as sin, after all I am the OAR snob. :) That nicname ain't just whistlin Dixie my freind.
However, sadly I know that this senario is just a pipe dream, the studios would never do that. But this is how it should be IMO.
As far as this whole "no black bars" issue goes, it's just more spoon feeding to the ignorant, instead of appealing to the intelligent.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Frankly I think the point that DVD succeeded wonderfully on an OAR only model is the most valid one. Why introduce Pan and Scan if OAR is an understood feature on all DVDs? Don't like OAR? Don't buy DVD. Doesn't matter how successful the format gets, you'll always find me spouting that one.
I'll agree wholeheartedly with that statement. It would've been much easier to keep that cat in the bag than to chase the cat down after it got out...

Here's a small consolation: the huge halos present on SOM will probably be much bigger in P&S!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The OWNER, Ron Epstein, a man with more connections than the phone company, of this great site agrees with this view...OAR should be forced upon the general public. I could not agree more.

This is the ONLY way it will ever be accepted by Joe and Jane! What's the alternative? Give up watching movies on dvd forever because of the black bars? They won't do that, they will eventually have to cave and accept OAR.
there was some discussion here a few weeks ago about oar being forced on the public. and a statement i made was almost exactly the same as the quote above.

if the only way people can buy a movie is in widescreen, they will buy it. because they have too.
how many people will really not buy a movie because it is widescreen as opposed to how many will not buy because it is cropped screen?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm of the opinion that if the filmmakers were so upset about their pictures being cropped, they would have made a big stink 20 years ago with the advent of P&S VHS...
Back when Beta and VHS were first starting, home video was almost an afterthought, just like showing the movies on TV, except with bad words, bare breasts, more blood and no commercials. No one cared because the watching a movie on a 19-inch screen with a lousy mono speaker wasn't at all like watching it in the movie threaters.

Laser discs more or less gave birth to the idea of "Home Theater, but the guys with the 19-inch screen and a lousy mono speaker stuck with VHS.

DVD is really the first time you time you have format shared between guys who have 60-in widescreen TV's and a $10,000 sound systems and guys who have a 19-inch screen with a lousy mono speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks