What's new

"No Black Bars" sticker on new Sound of Music disc (1 Viewer)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'm all for these stickers, they make it that much less likely that I'll accidentally pick up a p&s title:) I don't really care what everybody else watches as long as OAR is available.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
That's logic akin to them denying us Widescreen because they prefer P&S.
And that was the exact logic used by Columbia-TriStar when A Midnight Clear was announced in P/S only. Seems like if enough people prefer a P/S release, some titles will only get a P/S release. The way things are going, how long before it moves from "family freindly" titles to the majority of films and new releases? The real question is why? DVD is/was a stunning success and this P/S debacle is late to the table. So, for the past few years, studios have been cleaning up with Widescreen only releases. Why do they always feel like there is this hidden cash monster out there they have to feed and keep happy? It's not about giving people what they prefer. DVD's were selling at record paces when there was no Pan-n-Scan alternative. The studios are driving the P/S business, not the customers.
Bruce

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My line is a bit further back - anything that actively promotes P&S whether as part of a dual release or no. There should be education on why the black bars are there, rather than advertise "the one without black bars".
So it's OK if they make dual releases as long as they do not market the pan & scan? They are responsible for supplying education to consumers on why they should buy the other version than the one they want?

They already put a "This film has been altered..." message on most boxes and before the feature on the disc. Presuming that anyone who wants to watch the fullscreen version does so strictly out of ignorance seems kind of arrogant to me. Perhaps, and bear with me, people, because this may sound shocking, they simply are not as concerned about seeing the exact theatrical composition presented on video as you or I? Perhaps they know why the black bars are there and still don't like how it looks on their television. Maybe they prefer to see films presented on TV the same way they have been watching them for the last four or five decades. Perhaps our presumption that they are "playing to peoples' ignorance" is a sign of our own ignorance.

I find the "no black bars" language mildly amusing, but not nearly as amusing as the posts in this thread that have used words like "reprehensible" and "abhorrent" to describe it.

Regards,

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
They already put a "This film has been altered..." message on most boxes and before the feature on the disc. Presuming that anyone who wants to watch the fullscreen version does so strictly out of ignorance seems kind of arrogant to me.
Most people have no idea what this means. I know that I for one watched VHS movies for years without knowing what that warning before the movie meant. The studios are not excused from education just because they put vague messages on and in front of butchered product.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
If so many of you claim to be martyrs to the art of cinema, why do you all constantly argue with what versions and aspect ratios a filmmaker decides to put his/her work out in?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't really care what everybody else watches as long as OAR is available.
That's the problem, it's NOT available in a fair number of cases and that number is increasing every day and likely to get worse. Snow Dogs anyone? How about Muppet Treasure Island? A Midnight Clear? Grumpy Old Men? 84 Charing Cross Road? The Scent of Green Papaya? Grumpier Old Men? My Fellow Americans? National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation?
Where's my choice on these titles (and others)? Oh, that's right, I don't get one.

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
They already put a "This film has been altered..." message on most boxes and before the feature on the disc.
They don't do that voluntarily though, do they? Didn't the director's guild or some such organization have to force them to do it?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Yes, but these stickers have all been seen on titles where a Widescreen is still available, and all from FOX. It just seems that FOX will read this and feel like they can never win.

Disney, Columbia and Warners have releases the titles you mentioned (a good portion before they realized widescreen would sell well) and that's where we should be (and have been) concentrating our efforts. When we beat up on the studios that HAVE offered us what we want than we shouldn't fault them for offering a choice to the other guy. That's what this thread has been doing, and that's the problem. It's going to water down our argument to the studios that have released stuff P&S only.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Where's my choice on these titles (and others)? Oh, that's right, I don't get one.
Before anyone starts composing an "Ode to Snow Dogs" lament and looking for sympathy, keep in mind that applying the same logic, people looking for pan & scan DVD titles are deprived of a lot more choices than we are.

None of the titles subject to the heading of this thread are pan & scan only titles, anyway. That is a whole separate issue that I have no problem supporting.

Regards,

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
we shouldn't fault them for offering a choice to the other guy.
Oh yeah.
The "choice" of a film's original aspect ratio should only be in the hands of the filmakers, not the consumers.
Now...if said director decides he wants a consumer TV friendly version of his film out, fine. But this is NOT the case with the majority of the P&S/full frame releases.
I'm curious, Chad...why are you expending so much energy on this subject?
You became a member of the Home Theater Forum to join a group of enthusiasts, am I correct?
I wonder why some members feel the need to be the "voice" of Joe Six Pack when most of us don't care of his/her views, they are not enthusiasts like we are, their views and opinions are not welcome here...thats why we're here...to avoid the common garbage that goes on in the world around us.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Before anyone starts composing an "Ode to Snow Dogs" lament and looking for sympathy, keep in mind that applying the same logic, people looking for pan & scan DVD titles are deprived of a lot more choices than we are
...just like when I could never find a widescreen copy of soo many films years ago on VHS.
They should understand WHY they can't find a P&S/full frame copy...but that would seem to be too logical. :rolleyes

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Blimey - talk about right-wing OAR extremists!

I think the phrase "Oops, I pulled a Jerry Gracia" will come into swift use here at HTF.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I wonder why some members feel the need to be the "voice" of Joe Six Pack when most of us don't care of his/her views, they are not enthusiasts like we are, their views and opinions are not welcome here...thats why we're here...to avoid the common garbage that goes on in the world around us.
Stuff like that is why most home theater people get looked at as snobbish. This is all about personal opinion. Some people here don't see what the big deal is, and others want to open up arteries and spill blood because of issues like this. I would say the reason we are here is because we like movies, we like watching them at home and buying more and more stuff to make it all sound and look better. I would say that everyones views are welcome here, just because they conflict with yours doesn't mean they are wrong, just different.

I happen to like the idea that people have a choice. If they don't like their black bars and want to see cut off images then fine let them buy whatever they want to buy. I had a friend over a few months ago and they didn't like the 'black bars', so I did a little demonstration showing her the exact difference, now she understands. Maybe instead of ridiculing people, you should try and show them. You have to understand that DVD is no longer just for those cutting edge people, it has gone mainstream and there is no turning it back. Widescreen dvd's are not going to disappear. You vote with your dollar and they will vote with theirs, but we shouldn't be crapping all over each other saying that someone is not welcome here just because their opinions differ.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Jerry - wake up, man! What's the matter with you?

I can't even begin to take you seriously, because the rabid nonsense you're spouting about MAR-preferring underclass "garbage" and many of us "non-enthusiasts" not being true to the cause is just too damn funny.

Get outside of your darkened home theater and step into the real world a little more often! That's the best advice I can give to you.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
They should understand WHY they can't find a P&S/full frame copy...but that would seem to be too logical. :rolleyes:
Of course, we are under no obligation to understand why full frame presentations dominated for so long and why anyone would want to see them. That would be too reasonable.
Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks