What's new

"no black bars" sticker on full-frame ver of UNFAITHFUL (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
IMO, you're all overreacting...we still have the option of widescreen (and will for the foreseeable future), so why complain about discs you're not even going to buy? Fox cares too much about the pro-widescreen crowd to EVER get rid of widescreen, so why not just ignore the problem? (Besides, how many discs are coming out from Fox in widescreen ONLY? Compare that to the amount of discs with an MAR release, and you'll see why I'm not worried...)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
but that is the problem.
the more that studios are forced into selling fullscreen the bigger the chance that eventually most dvd's will only be full screen.
so we need to find a way to stop that from happening before it does not after.

stu you make a good point but how do we, instead of the studio convince the masses to buy the widescreen versions and eliminate the full screen versions.

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
Going off Tony's argument, i think something that's scary to think about is when those fool frame J6Ps outnumber the WS advocates by a large majority. For example, if Disney does some kind of survey (a la their recent 2-disc sets fiasco) and they find WS only sells 10% of all copies, they might consider even eliminating WS versions to help them increase profits/save on costs...

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Cucka
Am I confused or is the oft-towted "it's what the consumer (or retailer) wants" over-stated?
Last I looked, DVD has gained widespread acceptance across all major arenas - home use, retail market, rental, etc. And with the likes of Wal-mart phasing out VHS entirely, there's no going back.
Being in the "drivers-seat" as it were, Studios afterall control the content of what is available and released. And, somehow, despite the J6P arguement, DVD gained it's complete adoption because of it's dedication to high-quality releases in WS format, not inspite of.
Now, we are to somehow beleive that "pressure" from consumers and retailers is driving the trend to PS releases, to the point that stickers tauting it as being preferred are being marketed (geesh, lets but some stickers on packages that say "uses only your existing TV speakers" for low-end DPL releases, but I digress...).
Rather than compell the retailers and end-users to continue to adopt the full benefits of the format, the Studios are misguided - not taking advantage of the mass-market momentum developing. What, like the consumers with all their new DVD players under the tree and Wal-mart with VHS all-but-eliminated from the shelves are going to stop buying titles even if titles all were WS?
I see no reason why there shouldn't be WS and PS releases of titles - if that's what the Studios want (heck, it worked fine for VHS in the past). But, I agree with Ron that this present sticker wording by Fox is inappropriate and harmful - just make it clear to the consumer what they are buying and let them choose.
The "what the consumer wants" arguement expressed by Peter and commented on by Crawdaddy has got to go - somehow the Studios are missing the point that they are in control now, not vice versa. Demand for titles won't suddenly drop without some sort of promotion of PS on covers - and if Wal-mart objects, let them deal with the consequences of consumers going elsewhere to buy their content if they refuse to participate. Pleeeeeze....
At least that's my opinion...

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
It's all very well saying the studio's are in the driving seat when it comes to what they put out there, but they aren't the ones that get the flack from angry customers who want films with NO BLACK BARS like they've been watching for the last 20-30 years on TV and video. Up until the studio's started selling widescreen laserdiscs and widescreen video's we all had to watch films, on TV and video, in P & S. I don't remember too many people complaining back then. Nobody said "Hey Raiders Of The Lost Ark is on channel X on Saturday, but it's in pan & scan, damn!!"
DVD has spoiled many of us (me included) but it should not stop those (idiots) who only have a passing interest in movies to enjoy this new technology. We can all still try to convert those who are more open minded (the first thing my girlfriend does when we go DVD shopping is check to see if it's WS!...converted)

As far as stickers go I think they should read like this...

FULL SCREEN VERSION:Modified to fit your screen

WIDESCREEN VERSION:Buy this version and get another FREE DVD of your choice.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as saying, "You get MORE picture with Widescreen", because in certain cases (like open-matte transfers such as "State of Grace" etc...) you actually get LESS picture with Widescreen. It's tricky. "As the director intended..." makes the most sense of all. Even OAR is sometimes deceiving like with Kubrick and "The Shining" as the OAR (in theaters) was WS and his preferred Home Video intent was 4x3.
Tricky indeed. AND it is a business. People have jobs and careers depending on how well the BUSINESS does.
:) D

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
A spin on this is that I only have widescreen televisions in my house. I would have black bars on the full-frame version and not on the widescreen. I guess I would not fall into the J6P category though.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
or how about ...
all full frame/pan & scan DVDs to have the following sticker :
JOE 6 PACK EDITION : no black bars
would this work ? :D

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I think that each day it gets more dangerous for Widescreen lovers.

Sure both are available now, but what about the releases where 2 versions are not available. What we fear is that this will become more common. Waiting until it begins and then acting on it won't do anything. If this battle is to be won, the fight must begin now.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
On the fullscreen edition - the actual film is in fullscreen but some of the supplements are in anamorphic widescreen as are the menus! Weird.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I still have to wonder why they bother putting extras on foolscreen DVDs in the first place- most people who choose to watch foolscreen are also the ones who will hit the Eject button when the end credits start.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
I wonder if when HD-DVDs are finally released if they will be mostly widescreen to satisfy the home theater enthusiast, making it more likely that DVDs will be released in Pan & Scan only.

Jay Taylor

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
This is another instance where, in my humble opinion, the studios need to educate rather than pander to the masses. I agree with all of the comments above that "No black bars" implies there is something wrong with widescreen. It's the wrong connotation. Tell it like it is: "This movie has been cropped to fit your screen."

BobG

Stunt Coordinator
The studios are thinking of the average, uneducated consumer as a mindless herd of cattle that has to be prodded with stickers in order to make sure they don't get confused when they buy a movie.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it's because of a direct request from the customer who's buying the discs?
Perhaps the customer should take a minute or two and read what is written on the DVD case so that they are aware whether or not the DVD that they are holding in their hands is WS or FF. I think perhaps a sticker announcing that a DVD is WS with black bars which preserves the OAR should get equal time & space on FOX releases.
:frowning:

Louis C

Supporting Actor
The studios are thinking of the average, uneducated consumer as a mindless herd of cattle that has to be prodded with stickers in order to make sure they don't get confused when they buy a movie.
Average, uneducated, mindless consumer's primary store: Wal Mart
Hmmm, is there a pattern here?
:D

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
This is quite a bitch fest for a studio that has a commitment to OAR releases, and has participated actively with this forum more so then any other. Widescreen is not going away, and neither is Fullfram/P&S at this point either. People need to get over themselves and realize others will never completely agree with their views. You can complain until you are blue in the face, but it will not cause anything to change.

Take a positive spin on the issue and view it as a warning label for those who purchase OAR releases because bitching is just a waste of breath.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks