What's new

NO! Best Buy to raise prices!! (1 Viewer)

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
I think as DVD becomes more popular we will see increases in price instead of a decrease. It seems as a few studios drop prices on certain titles most of the time the savings are not noticed for us, unless you shop online at a store that offers a certain % off (ie.DVDPlanet 25% off all titles). I have a Media Play near me and they are selling movies with a MSRP of say $19.95 for $22.99. I could easily drive across the parking lot to CC and pay $14.95 for the same title. I have noticed that prices are going up as more people buy into the format. The retailers see this therefore they raise prices. The players will continue to drop so more people buy in. Then after they have the players they will need movies, right? I don't think people will complain when the prices increase at $1.00 at a time. And after awhile higher prices will be the norm. Here in MI. we pay an average of $1.85/gallon for gas. When 1 station raises prices they all do. Why wouldn't this work for DVD? I for 1 hope this never happens but I figure it could really soon.
icon13.gif

------------------

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well this is one issue where I don't think you can do much more than be a smart customer. I've gone through a number of iterations of where I buy dvds as different b&m stores and internet sites have raised their prices. Currently, I check two internet sites, as well as the prices at Best Buy, CC, Borders, Wal-Mart & Target. Whichever is cheaper gets my business. Dvdplanet used to be cheapest almost every time, then they raised their prices, and I've hardly ever used em since. If BB raises their prices, the same thing will happen.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
There is a term called "Buying the Market". This is where you offer near-cost prices for several months until you put the competition out of business.
I know I have cut-back my new-release orders from the internet because I want to see how much BB sells them for on the release date. So it works.
Now that they may have done damage & increased their market-share (which increases the Stock price and makes profit for the investors - the REAL reason companies exist), they can add a few bucks to the DVD prices to increase their profits a bit.
We've had the advantage of a "price-war" for the last year or so. Just count yourself lucky and use DVDPriceSearch.com before you run out on Tuesdays from now on.

Nathan A

Second Unit
David, yes!!
My Circuit City also raised the prices of pretty much every DVD by a dollar or so a few months ago. I'm just going to have to stick with the internet...

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
I think BB has raised some prices already.
Bought lawrence of Arabia at costco for $10 less than BB.
I am seeing more 22.99 pricing and less 19.99.

Brian Glaeske

Stunt Coordinator
Had Walmart match Best Buys price on "Forest Gump".
They did one better! They took another $1.50 off. I got FG for $16.50 at Walmart.
Walmart, Kmart and Target are BB competitors in software. Kmart has great deals every so often. I've got quite a few quality $9.98 and less titles from them.
The corporate strategy for BB with regard to the Musicland aquisition is to target a different market. Musicland/Sam Goody and the like are marketed towards the mall crowd, Media Play is the book club crowd and so on. If you cover all the bases, you can't lose (unless you really screw up).
Brian G.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Had Walmart match Best Buys price on "Forest Gump...Walmart, Kmart and Target are BB competitors in software.
Now, you've got me thinking. K-Mart now has big banners up here that claim they will "match ANY competitor's prices" (their emphasis on ANY, not mine!).
CostCo? Sam's Club? Amazon? DVD Planet?
He he he he...I'll have to test them on this one!
biggrin.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Well not every one is raising prices, today at my little slice of retail hell I was marking down DVD's, some of them really good titles, in fact one of those titles went down 7 bucks, that being Fight Club which went from 26.98 to 19.96
Scott

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Why does everyone seem to be taking this BB kids statement as gospel?..come on we all know most of these (most, but not all) of these sales drones have almost no clue about the products they sell, let alone what the companies pricing plan will be.
I'm sure nothing will change...Let's chill folks.
:)
Alfer
------------------
Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at Link Removed
Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Link Removed

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I work for Best Buy, and their DVD prices are where they are to attract customers to purchase TV's and DVD Players and the like. Don't think for one second that prices will be raised. They did buy the Musicland Group, but they won't touch prices there, either. They wanted to make money off of DVD's at their MSRP, like Suncoast is so good at doing. So, both worlds will remain the same. At least for the time being, you never know when this might change.
------------------
Heal a Million, Kill a Million

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Alf and Jeremy are right; we're reacting rather quickly to what is, after all, a rumor. Yep: we all feel strongly about it, and if someone in BB's upper mgt happens to see this thread then so much the better. But let's not get carried away, treating it like it's already happened.
Some say it has, but I think the higher prices they see could be some exceptions based on other factors. Noone has seen the employees walking through re-stickering the backstock, right? Like CC did a few months ago...boy, that one gave ME the chills. :)
Just a few weeks ago I led the rally to THANK BB for decreasing their VHS inventory and expanding DVD even more. They have ALWAYS been the best place to buy DVD's, at least for me. Since I bought my Panasonic A120 and a copy of The Exorcist from them 2 years ago next week, I have purchased 31% of my collection from them. That's 246 discs, boys and girls, at a cost of $3821.56! That averages out to a mere $15.53 a disc.
Was their goal to get me into the store to buy other things? Then it worked. I not only pick up computer equipment and software, videogames, music CD's, video cables, and so forth. I've also picked up "Clifford the Big Red Dog" books from them! My last electric razor came from them (and replacement blades, of course). And we're going back in a couple of weeks to get a new carpet steam cleaner.
My local Best Buy is by no means perfect. However, they have earned my loyalty, as you can tell, and I will go on believing in them until they earn my distrust, as the Circuit City up the street from them has.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hey Dave, couldn't find your email but saw your post about going back to BB to get a carpet cleaner.
I know this is off topic here, but I wanted to suggest you get the Bissel Pro Heat Deluxe cleaner. My wife and I have one and love it, cleans like a charm. :)
Ok back to the topic at hand..........
Alfer
------------------
Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at Link Removed
Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Link Removed

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My wife's already picked out a particular Hoover model that her mom has, which we've borrowed a couple of times and are in love with. It works perfectuly for us. Thank you, though!
Okay...NOW back on-topic! :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have noticed that Best Buy is not the cheapest
place to buy many many DVDs.
I just went in there to get Blood: The Last Vampire for the advertised sale price of $14.99,
and noticed that just about every regular priced DVD
could
be had for less at my local Fred Meyer SuperStore.
Mark

Michael Silla

Second Unit
I'll chime in and say that Media Play is probably the most expensive place to buy DVD's in my local market. Best Buy is finally coming to Utah in the next year with 5 store openings.
I kinda am looking forward to having a local store to tell you the truth. We desperately need some more competition in this market. I kinda miss Future Shop for that very reason.....
Michael.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks