No Bass in the mains?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Brown, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I have my mains set to large, yet they don't seem to be getting any of the low bass in surround mode. In stereo mode of course they get all the Bass they can handle, but in normal mode it just gives all the bass to the subwoofer.

I thought when you set speakers to large it was supposed to route the bass there also? Personally I prefer bass from my mains instead of only from my sub, and I know my mains can handle it.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What receiver would probably be helpful for others to help you.

On my receiver I can have my mains set to large, but still have the sub also. Check your receiver settings.

You may also have a bypass mode that will skip all bass management and tone controls. Mine is called "source direct" and more or less leaves out the sub, this is the mode I frequently use for music.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

When I set my mains to large or small, the sub plays the same bass no matter what. The only difference is the mains play a little more bass when set to large.

4. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Stunt Coordinator

-
    I have the Pioneer VSX-D811s. Sub always kicks butt no matter what mode the speakers are on, crossover is set to 100Hz (Lowest it will go, unfortunatly), and It doesn't seem to make any difference having my mains set to large or small.

I've tested this by running a 60Hz test tone, and the only speaker that is active during this test is the subwoofer. I may just be misunderstanding the way things are supposed to work, but I thought that all speakers set to large are supposed to be exposed to the entire frequency range, and the crossover frequency only applies to speakers set to small?

5. Dylan Savage

Dylan Savage Stunt Coordinator

Chris.. with your mains set to large, any low tones that are actually sent to the mains will be played by them. Any "LFE" tones (on the LFE track of a 5.1 disc) will be played by the subwoofer, and not the mains. This is settable on my receiver (yamaha 5560) to "both" so the LFE goes to both, but ordinarily the LFE just goes to the subwoofer. Take a look at the disc you were playing and see if the 60hz tone is LFE or just a 60hz all-speaker tone.