No Bass control With Dolby Digital?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Gretton, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Michael Gretton

Hi all:

Please help me. I have been a HT enthusiast for years but I don't know nearly what you guys/gals know. I have had a pioneer reciever (boy I wish I knew the exact model but I am at work) for 3 years and have had a problem for some time with bass control. I recently purchased a new 32HS500 sony tv and the other day I was playing Xbox and noticed how crisp my bass was. I noticed that it was never like that before. Then I realized that I was listening to the sound from the TV! Wow! TV sounds better than my Accustomass Bose system? What gives?

I then turned down the volume and listened to the game on my receiver (ugh...little bass). I tried to hit the bass and treble buttons on my receiver but it wouldn't do anything and just flashed the dolby digital symbol. It appears that i can only increase bass when I am not in dolby. This is very disappointing. There must be something I am doing wrong. ANYONE WITH A PANNY RECEIVER WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS? It isn't my bass hook up of my Bose because that sucker does pump out some bass when I can change it on the receiver.

What gives?

Mike

2. Michael Gretton

SORRY. I meant that I have a pioneer reciever not panny.

Pls help.

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Michael,
    By chance does your DVD player have a built in decoder for DD? If so are you connecting it to your receiver using 6 channel inputs? If so this could be your problem. Some receivers do not allow you to adjust the signal when using multi channel inputs. If you are using a digital connection though then what I just said does not apply. [​IMG] So how about giving us a run down of all your equipment and how you have it connected and set up.
    Dan Hine

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Yep,

I second what Dan said. The best way to get to the bottom of this is to review exactly what you have, and how everything is connected.

I find it really surprising that TV speakers could seem better in the bass department than a speaker system with a sub...

If I recall correctly the acoustimass system uses the sub ('bass cube'?) in line with the speakers- in other words the speaker lines go into the cube and then out to the satellites. Is this correct?

Also, in your post you mention: "It isn't my bass hook up of my Bose because that sucker does pump out some bass when I can change it on the receiver."

I'm curious what you mean by that. When you change what on the receiver? When you change out of dolby digital mode?

Just to answer your basic question- many receivers bypass the bass and treble controls for 5.1 formats (like Dolby Digital)--- however you shouldn't need to boost the bass knob if you have a properly configured and calibrated system.

You should post the models of your equipment and how you have each item connected.