no auto subtitles on TPM DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Gonzalez, Oct 9, 2001.

1. James Gonzalez

Don't know if anyone who has a copy yet has noticed this, but there are no automatic alien dialog subtitles.
    I've found that the only way to see them is to turn subtitles on for the entire movie. Anyone else notice this?
    James
    ------------------
    "I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum!"
    Little Bijou

2. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

On my system, there is!
    The DVD defaults to subtitle track 1 (I think), which is also the track selected if you switch subs off in the menu.
    In addition, this is the coolest sub-track I've seen, as the subtitles fade in and out, very neat! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    ~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

3. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

They appear automaticaly on my copy. I must agree with Artur that I like the fades, as much as I dislike player generated subtitles, I've not seen them done as well as they are here and am especially happy to see them framed within the film frame on 16x9 playback.
    Dan (UK)

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Gee, first the added scenes, now this? I've got plenty of reasons not to buy this now! I never got the original trilogy on LD for the same reason (subtitles moved off the screen)- sounds like they tried to make this look like the theatrical version (they faded in and out) but if they're player-generated, I consider that an alteration.
    Go ahead and call me nuts, but I needed a reason not to get this anyways...

5. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

6. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

I'm resurrecting this thread since I just got a JVC SA75 player, and it won't do the auto subtitles on "Phantom Menace". Other DVDs with occational subtitles, like "U-571" behave perfectly, but not TPM. My old Sony did the subtitles on TPM just fine, so I know it's not the disc. James, what type of player do you have? Does anyone know if there's a solution for this problem?? [​IMG]
    Thanks...
    JiM T

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

My Toshiba 2109 showed them - sometimes. Othertimes it didn't.

8. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

It's a problem with JVC players. There was a thread here on this and over at DVDTalk. I don't think it was ever resolved though. What kills me is that the alien language subs work on the deleted scenes on disc 2, but not on the movie disc.

Neither the commentary or alien language subs will appear on most JVC players.

So far it'sthe only disc I've ever had a problem with.

9. James Gonzalez

Jim, I have a JVC XVD-723GD progressive scan DVD player. I later found out that the subtitles worked on my older Panasonic A-310 and on my PS2. I don't know of any fix for this problem.

James

10. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

AAGH!! This is terrible! Any tips on who's fault this is, JVC's, or Lucasfilm's? I'd like to try to get to the bottom of this if at all possible. I just traded my Panny RP56 for the JVC SA75, and was thrilled with it up until now. TPM is one DVD I was really looking forward to, so it stinks that of all the titles that something like this could happen with, it had to be this one. [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    JiM T

11. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I have a JVC player you have to turn on subtitles in the main setup menu of the dvd player. This will allow the subtitles to default on subtitle track 2. Which is the correct track for the film. [​IMG]

12. James Gonzalez

Thank you Joshua, I will try that tonight.

James

13. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

Here's the original thread going into this problem: Episode 1 JVC DVD player subtitle problem. Obviously, posting to that thread wouldn't work too well, since it's under the old software, but at least it still exists to reference. [​IMG]
    I never got any word back from either JVC or Fox regarding this issue. I'll try to remember to try Joshua's trick tonight to see if that works on my player.

14. Jesse Clift

Jesse Clift Agent

I have the XV-SA70BK and it also will not display the default Phantom Menace subtitles. Someone in a previous thread suggested that the problem lies with the mediamatics chipset JVC is using in its DVD players. Somehow the chip is incompatible with the fading subtitles. I know that the chip is put out by the National Semiconductor Corporation and believe it is a first generation "DVD-on-a-chip", capable of handling both progressive scan and DVD audio.
    As far as I know, there were no DVD's with fading subtitles when my JVC DVD player was first released. I don't think JVC will be willing to fix an incompatibility with a new type of subtitle that was released after the player originally came out, especially if there is currently only one DVD with fading subtitles. I did email JVC about a month ago about this problem but have not heard back. Knowing JVC's reputation for crappy customer service, I am not hopeful.[​IMG]

15. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

Joshua - the fix you suggested doesn't seem to be working with my player. It does default to subtitle track 2, but there's still no auto subtitles. [​IMG] What model JVC do you have? If it's a non DVD-audio model, then Jesse's post post is probably right. This really sucks. I've read at Home Theater Spot that "Akira" does this too. If that's true, then that's two big titles that don't work. Perhaps there will be a firmware update or something?
    JiM T[​IMG]

16. Jesse Clift

Jesse Clift Agent

Akira's subtitles work fine on my player. They are the standard nonfading type.

17. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

Jesse - that's good to know. I haven't tried "Akira" myself, so I'm just reporting what I've heard.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if the JVC S60/62/65 players (all the same, just different colors) will play TPM auto subtitles. If it works well on those, I may as well trade my SA75 for one since I can't utilize DVD-audio right now anyway. (Reciever too old).

Thanks,

JiM T

18. Will Ernst

Will Ernst Agent

They didn't come on by default with my HTPC either. I had to turn subtitles on, then back off and they worked fine after that without having subtitles on constantly.

Hope that helps...

-will

19. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

I just got back from Sears where I picked up a JVC S62 to try out. I hooked it up, threw in TPM, and... no auto subtitles. AAAAAGGHH!!! [​IMG] I swear, I am about to scream. I love everything else about these JVC players, but my loyalty to Star Wars outweighs my loyalty to JVC. Unfortunately, I insist on having the scaling feature that the JVCs have, so I guess I'm stuck.
    Anyhow, it looks like this is not a JVC DVD-audio related problem, since the S62 doesn't do DVD-audio. I emailed JVC, but based on what folks say their reputation is, I don't expect much help. Now what?!?
    JiM T

20. John DeLuca

John DeLuca Stunt Coordinator

I believe this issue with the Phantom Menace is an issue with the Mediamatics chipset on the DVD player. The JVC's and the Malata N996 both have this chipset and both suffer from the issue with subtitles on TPM from what I read.

Edit: Oops. I guees I should have read the whole thread because Jesses mentioned this above. Sorry :b