What's new

No audio when connecting Blu Ray to older TV (1 Viewer)

wordwiz

Auditioning
Real Name
Linda
I have a Mitsubishi WS-48413 digital TV which I realize is an older model. I was recently given a Samsung Blu Ray BD-F5700 player. My friend connected it and everything works except the audio portion. Can someone suggest what I might need to do in order to get the audio to work? I am not in a position to simply buy a new TV since this one works great even though it is older. I would like the Blu Ray to work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching photos of the connections to the back of the TV. Hopefully, those will help.

Thank you. I am a bit desperate at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_3242 (640x472) (2).jpg
    IMG_3242 (640x472) (2).jpg
    213 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3243 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_3243 (640x480).jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3246 (640x480) (2).jpg
    IMG_3246 (640x480) (2).jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 35

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
wordwiz said:
I have a Mitsubishi WS-48413 digital TV which I realize is an older model. I was recently given a Samsung Blu Ray BD-F5700 player. My friend connected it and everything works except the audio portion. Can someone suggest what I might need to do in order to get the audio to work? I am not in a position to simply buy a new TV since this one works great even though it is older. I would like the Blu Ray to work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching photos of the connections to the back of the TV. Hopefully, those will help.

Thank you. I am a bit desperate at this point.

Making these two devices work together is going to be difficult. You have no digital audio input on the TV, and the BD player does not have an analog audio output. You could get a digital to analog converter such as this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-optical-coaxial-digital-audio-to-analog-audio-converter-black/6867159.p?id=1218810049491&

... and disable the HDMI audio out on the Samsung player, selecting the coaxial output instead. Or purchase a Blu-ray player that does have analog outputs, though that is likely difficult to find.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
You can get either a sound bar or cheap surround sound system for $50-100 that has a digital input. That would probably be a better investment than trying to convert the blu ray audio into analog for use with the old TV.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You can't even use DTS-HD over RCA right? That might be the problem.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I have done this sort of thing with two older TV's. As a few posters are saying, the problem is that you need a Blu-ray player that has analog outputs. You need composite (or S-Video would be better your TV has it I think) plus two channel analog audio output. This is the familiar yellow-white-red connectors of a few years ago.

Most modern BD players only have HDMI output and perhaps digital audio output of the SPDIF variety. Two channel or multi-channel analog outputs are very rare.

What I have done for this case is to find an older BD player, tons of them out there. Look for one that has analog white and red RCA connectors and you should be able to configure it to work. The sound bar suggestion would also work but you may already have reasonable sound.

This will work if you keep trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks