No audio from my dvd player...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert V, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Robert V

Robert V Stunt Coordinator

I have been trying to hook up my HT all day now, but have failed! There is no sound when I select the dvd player as the source. Setup includes:

Toshiba 50H81

Panasonic rp56

HK AVR 320

JBL nsp-1 with audiosoucre sub 15

Have an s video connection from dvd out to s vid in on tv. Then an optical out from the dvd to the avr 320. Get a clean picture but No sound when using the dvd. Am I missing something here? Also, The 320 is showing a coaxial signal on the display. I need some help people!!!!

Thanks

Rob

2. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

If you're trying to watch a movie with DTS, you may have to turn DTS on, on your DVD player. That's what I had to do with mine.

Just one idea....

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

For Rp56, activate remote ACTION (my manual p.20) get to audio and set, per p.22

PCM DOWN CONVERSION YES

DOLBY DIGITAL BITSTREAM

DTS BITSTREAM

(LEAVE DYNAMIC RANGE COMPRESSION default OFF)

On the amp, find the Input Mode to set DVD to AUTO.

hopes this works for you.

To play DTS on an encoded DVD, one has to go into the disc at the beginning of the movie to the Audio Setup, with the remote, and manually select the DTS "button" or logo or "line".

4. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

On my Denon, I need to pick either optical or coaxal for the digital input. I'm not allowed both. Same thing with yours?

5. Robert V

Thanks for the replies everybody.

Bill and Dave: I will try the action menu and see what happens. Bill, not sure I follow you in regards to setting the 320 for dvd mode to auto. Don't recall this mentioned in the manual. But have only glanced at it. Will sit down this weekend to work out the glitches.

Ace, I will have to double check th 320 manual, but don't recall a choice between the coax or digital.

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

robert, I took a look at your manual. very sophisticated unit.
    I see 5 buttons in a row just below the center display panel. The first on the left cycles thru Dolby Digital inputs, the second cycles DTS inputs (the next Logic 7).
    I can see how you wud set DD or DTS manually according what you are going to playback. But I cant believe this fine receiver doesnt have a system to automatically detect these signals as they come into the AVR, and process them accordingly so that the user doesnt have to make the settings. That's what I mean by AUTO.
    Look for something like this as you get familiar with the HK 320[​IMG]

7. Robert V

Bill, You are correcct regarding the auto switching on the amp. According to the manual the 320 will automatically determine the signal from the source. Haven't had a chance to play with the setup today. Taking some time to familiarize myself to the manual.

Hate to ask you one more question, but according to the 320 manual, when hooking up a DVD player via digital cable (in this case an optical) the analog cable for audio should also be hooked up to "provide a backup source for analog stereo recording." Is this for non digital formats. I apologize if this is a ridiculous question.

Thanks

8. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

In HTF, no question is dumb or ridiculous; fortunately, some 'fool' will try to answer:
    I dont know what the manual means by analog recording but with DVD Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1 systems, we dont need the DVD player's stereo RCA output. So fergetaboutit.
    I'll venture a guess: Say you have no separate CD music player but use the RP-56 as the music transport.
    Running 2 nice RCA audio interconnects from the RP-56 to the rcvr's CD inputs will rely upon the RP-56 DACs (digital to analog converter) and with some kind of audio direct or analog bypass feature on the HK320, you wud listen to the music this way.
    Listening to CDs out of the RP-56 optical digital cable relies on the HK320 DACs to make the conversion. A/B listening tests would help find the music sound you prefer.

9. Robert V

BINGO!!!!! Accessed the audio menu from the rp56, then did the same via the osd menu from the 320. Switched the coax, which was the default setting for the dvd, to optical, and what did my ears hear...music from the dvd! Much more relaxed now. Thanks to all at HTF.
    Lets go down the the local "pub". The first two rounds are on me. [​IMG]

10. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

robert, congrats!

one more thing -- about the video. Is there a reason you are not using the superior 3-plug COMPONENT video cabling from the RP-56 to the Toshiba? It's a step up from S-Video.

11. Robert V

Bill,

few reasons I chose the svid over component. Firstly, while reading the beginers forum here, there is only a 5% increase in pic quality over the s vid. Therefore, this became a cost/performance raio. Bought a 25' s vid cable for $35, can't imagine what a 25' component cable would run. Yikes! talking big bucks here.

I do have to confess though. Originally I purchased the tv for my fiancee on x-mas (also her b-day). I keep telling her that all this equipment is for "her" tv, to enhance the video performance and make it more enjoyable. Her response "This isn't Egypt, but your in da' nile.":b