No Audio after installing Windows XP... please help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Mansure, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

It's actually a very odd problem.
    I did a clean install of Windows XP Professional on my Dell Dimension XPS T450 (yeah I know, kind old there Bri) and I even got the start up sound and the groovy Enigma song while configuring the new XP install.
    After all looked and seemed fine I thought I'd start up Windows Media Player and tryied to play one of those sample songs they usually can now-a-days with the media players.
    To my dismay, there was no sound coming from my speakers.
    Now mind you, I was hearing sounds and music from my speakers 10 minutes prior so I was confused. I checked to make sure the cable was in the audio out, which it was, still no sound. I disconnected my external speakers and listened for the computer's internal speaker and still no sound. I also tried audio cds and some of the sound themes under the control panel, still no sound.[​IMG]
    So after reformatting the HD and reinstalling XP 2 other times, I still cannot hear any sound or music coming from any computer speakers internal or external.
    The audio card is an intergrated Yamaha XG 64 Wavetable Sound 724 DS-1 chip set. I did find and downloaded an XP driver off of Yamaha's support site but the updated driver is not working. Last night I updated the Flash BIOS to the most recent version (A11) and Dell will not be supporting anything past that.
    You can find some more information about my computer at
    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dkub/
    I don't know what I'm missing but if anyone can offer any assistance I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Brian

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Well first off that sound chip sucks, we have several of them here at work and well they don't work. Why not go out and buy something like a Hercules Maxi Sound Fortissimo or something similar, hell why not a Sound Blaster Audigy.

3. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

I agree Kelley. It is a crappy card.

I don't know about the rest of the Yamaha sound cards but most likely I'll stay away from ever purchasing one again.

Actually a buddy at work said he might have a Sound Blaster card at home he would sell to me cheap, so I might just end up doing that. I'm assuming the best way to disable the integrated sound card is to disable in the BIOS and uninstall any drivers.

I just was trying to get this card working if I could.

Thanks,

Brian

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

thats right go into BIOS and disable it. Although some mobos have a jumper to disable the onboard sound. If you can't figure either of those out just disable it in Windows.