What's new

No Arnold on Collateral Damage (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
DVD.IGN.COM has a preview up today of Collateral Damage. They have scans of the front and back of the box and guess what? NO ARNOLD COMMENTARY! IT'S JUST ANDY DAVIS FLYING SOLO! DAMMIT!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Probably because Arnold was charging $75,000 or so for his last DVD commentary.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Here are some would be excerpts from the Arnold commentary:

"Dis is where I shot dat guy."
"Here is da scene where I blow stuff up."
"Here I am very mad."
"Hey! I know dat extra!"
"Here is where I fall down wata fall..."
"Look! Dey killed my wife an kid!"

Just having some fun. I thought his commentaries on Total Recall and Conan were entertaining, if a bit light on substance.

Arnold is probably pretty tied up with Terminator 3 right now.

Too bad, as Andrew Davis's commentaries seem to be a bit bland.

Chris M

Second Unit
I agree with Jason, I was looking forward to the commentary or Conan, but when I listened to it, I got really bored by 30 minutes into it. He gave no decent information, and his "humour" got dull pretty quickly.

I'm not terribly upset!

Chris.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For the commentary, they could have just stuck in all of Ahnuld's lines from Total Recall and have a pretty entertaining commentary.

"Geoghehan, give them some ay-er!"

"Blondes"

"Who arr you?"

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Arnold is enthusiastic, but he stinks at commentary. "Yeah" is about 60% of what he says. That and laughing

Matt_Wizall

Agent
Probably because Arnold was charging $75,000 or so for his last DVD commentary.
Really? I guess it makes sense that they would charge, but it seems I was living in la-la land. I thought it was just something the people involved in the film liked to do, since all it is is to sit down for an hour or two and talk about their film. Oh well.
Does altruism not exist? :thumbsdown:

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Really? I guess it makes sense that they would charge, but it seems I was living in la-la land. I thought it was just something the people involved in the film liked to do
Yes, this actually caused quite a controversy and made DVD fans worried that studios might just drop it if actors demand high prices for DVD supplements.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Does altruism not exist?
Well, I don't believe Arnold or anyone else should work for free (unless they want to), or do something they don't want to do. I really don't know why he isn't doing the commentary. I am just wondering if the cost was the issue or if Arnold is too busy right now. Just speculation on my part.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The same thing happened with the End of Days DVD - they also announced that it would have Arnold's commentary along with the director... but it ended up with neither.

I am really tired of studios making premature commentary announcements in their press releases. This has bugged me for a long time, but there is nothing we can do about it. It would be correct for the studios to announce that commentaries are 'planned' or 'tentative' if they haven't been recorded yet.

This happened with Blood Simple (Coen bros. commentary - we got the fruitcake instead), O (Julia Stiles commentary), Willow (Ron Howard commentary) - just to name a few. Of course, the studios won't put out correction press releases... go figure.

It's not too big of a deal, but I find it pretty disappointing. I'm the type of person that gets pretty excited about commentaries, so this is yet another letdown. I won't be buying Collateral Damage - but I would have if it had Arnold's commentary on it.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
I agree with Jason, I was looking forward to the commentary or Conan, but when I listened to it, I got really bored by 30 minutes into it. He gave no decent information, and his "humour" got dull pretty quickly.
However, the making-of documentary on the Conan SE disk was fascinating.

I find that they are way more commentaries than is warranted by the quality of the films involved. Commentaries should a) be only on Classics, like Lawrence of Arabia, and b) should be by directors, not actors.

One reason for this is that I have too many films which I have not seen at all, to start watching B-level films with the commentary turned on.

PS The Collateral Damage DVD is shipping out today, I received a notice from Netflix.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Arnold's comentary on Conan made me chuckle a bit,but I must admit he sounds like hes thinking about somewhere else hed rather be.Kinda out there if you will.BTW anybody in South Florida looking to pick this one up,Resident Evil,Simpsons season 2,or Sanford and Son,Email me and Ill let ya know where I saw them at.

Later,
Luis S

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Arnold is probably pretty tied up with Terminator 3 right now.
Actually; production has been suspended and everyone was sent home due to astronomical over-spending which has put the movie over 200 million in costs already! Apparently, the studio is now deciding on whether or not they will even finish it.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Commentaries should a) be only on Classics, like Lawrence of Arabia, and b) should be by directors, not actors.
So only fans of movies that you just so happen deem as classics get to have commentaries? How nice of you.
If you don't think a commentary will be worthwhile, don't listen to it. But don't tell the rest of us that there shouldn't be a commentary because you don't like the film or the people involved. Personally, I've got a huge collection full of DVDs with commentaries of films certainly not considered "classics," and I treasure each one. Please don't dictate to me that the films I enjoy don't "deserve" commentaries.
Edited to add: An irony of your 2 rules for commentaries is that the one film you mention in specific, LOA, would never be allowed to have a commentary, as Sir David has passed.
DJ

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
I'd much rather listen to a commentary by the director of the film than the star of the film. This isn't 100%, of course. I have heard some pretty interesting commentaries by cast (not necessarily by Arnold, though). But the director has to be so involved on so many different levels of the film that they usually have some tremendous insight on the story and production of the movie. Actors, on the other hand, spend allot of time getting into the role they will play, making their insight more one sided - focusing on the relationship of the film to their character. Interesting to prospective actors, perhaps, but not to me.
Arnold's commentary on Conan made me chuckle a bit
I enjoyed the commentary on Conan TB, but mostly because of John Milius's input. Arnold didn't seem to remember much about the film, probably because of his limited experience at the time.
I, for one, am not sad that Arnold has priced himself out of the commentary market. If he really enjoyed doing them, he is perfectly capable of doing them for much less.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Some of the best, most amusing commentaries I've listenned to have been on decidedly B movies--Joyride and Final Destination are good examples.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Actually; production has been suspended and everyone was sent home due to astronomical over-spending which has put the movie over 200 million in costs already! Apparently, the studio is now deciding on whether or not they will even finish it.
Not to sound rude or anything, but this was debunked about two weeks ago. The original "source" for this claim was the National Enquirer.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Peter,where did you hear that info regarding T3? I thought I had low expectations before,but from what you say this could be a giant disaster!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I mean comon 200 million what are they doing?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks