What's new

No Advanced Babylon 5 Reviews? (1 Viewer)

Brian E

Screenwriter
Warner has dropped the ball on this show quite a few times. They've got a mini Star Trek franchise sitting in their laps and they continually treat it like thier bastard child.
IMO :D

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I can't help but feel that in his review Dan simply skimmed through a couple episodes and then watched the extras and based most of his review off the Pilot movie disc released last year. That would certainly explain the 2.0 sound error as well as the cast and other errors.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
DVD File has since inserted the correct actors' names and changed the soundtrack review to say the DD 5.1 sounds like DD 2.0, but otherwise the text of the review remains unchanged. I rather doubt they actually went back and watched any of the episodes before posting the "corrected" review.

Regards,

Joe

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
Before you pop-off about re-hashing an old review for a new one, I'd suggest you read the original "In The Beginning" review.

Daniel L

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Before you pop-off about re-hashing an old review for a new one, I'd suggest you read the original "In The Beginning" review.
Do you know what the reason was then for so many basic errors?

I normally give reviewers plenty of leeway because they provide a very nice service. However, when a review is so full of errors, it turns from a service to a dis-service.

Andy

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
My copy will be here Monday and right when i get home from work and continuing on my day off on tuesday i will be locked in my home theater :) Ill let you all know my opinions on the R1 release

capt

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I did read the review of The Gathering and In the Beginning. It is even more inaccurate than the current review, having the series debut in 1993 and having it cancelled after three years and moving to TNT in year four.

One thing that it reminded me of, though, is that the first disc contained the re-edited version of The Gathering, the one with the Chris Franke score. The packaging incorrectly credited the score to Stuart Copeland. So the current review didn't get its information from the old review, it got it from the box of a TV movie that has nothing directly to do with the discs that are supposed to be the subject of the critque. I don't think this improves the situation one bit.

Regards,

Joe

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
From my local Newspaper:

``Babylon 5 - The Complete First Season'' (Warner, $99.98, , available Tuesday) includes two episode commentaries from the great maestro himself, J. Michael Straczynski, a collector's booklet and two documentaries. Having the episodes together allows one to truly appreciate Straczynski's vision of a novel for television. One woe worth noting: There are far too many flecks and specks that cross the screen. The set deserved better digital policing.

Brian Duke

Grip
Can someone tell me the difference between the Canadian box set on amazon.ca and the US box set, besides the fact that the one on amazon.ca is cheaper?

Thanks,
Brian

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Ive watched the first 4 discs and its the best ive seen B5 look. Those specs on the screen are mostly present on the first couple of episode and its pretty much due to the low production values on Season 1(even though B5 was never high budget). Take a look at Seasons 1 of buffy and x-files sometimes. Not exactly top of the line transfers

capt

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Can someone tell me the difference between the Canadian box set on amazon.ca and the US box set, besides the fact that the one on amazon.ca is cheaper?
As far as I know there are no differences - except that the Canadian release date has been pushed back a week to November 12th. (Speculation is that demand has exceeded WHV's expectations, and they're slipping the Canadian date because they haven't invested in television advertising for the set there, as they have here.) Apart from that I believe Warner Bros. is selling exactly the same set in both countries. (And I'm waiting for the extra week for mine because I ordered from Canada to save a few bucks. The bulk of the saving, of course, is due to the exchange rate.)

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
P.S.
Here's what Mark Bourne at DVD Journal had to say about the R1 DVD's sound:
The chief strength is each ep's audio, which was remastered in DD 5.1 surround. The sound here is a revelation — clear as crystal, with strong range all the way down to some .1 LFE oomph. The separation spread impresses without gratuitous gimmickry, tastefully providing environmental ambiance effects and occasional spaceship whoosh support.
So can someone explain to me how the DVD File originally found the "DD 2.0" track lacking? (Later revised to "the DD 5.1 track sounds like a 2.0 track" when numerous fans explained to the "critic" that the show had been remixed in DD 5.1 - something he should have noticed from the menus, from listening, and from the box? Oh, that's right, he was cribbing from the box The Gathering came in, down to the mistake attributing the music to Stuart Copeland. Never mind.)
Regards,
Joe

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I don't understand how anyone could listen to the Raider battle in "Signs and Portents" and say it sounds like 2.0.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I really Don't think they took the time to review the disks in any detail,they threw an episode in for a sec and then proceeded to pull out the old review, I Used to look on their reviews there with a little more respect than I will now. Also I'll waith for other reviews to come before committing to a title based on their reviews. If you decide to publish a review DVDFile then every title demands the same amount of attention.

Christopher E

Stunt Coordinator
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's finally here! I walked into my local future shop (a canadian b&m store) today and picked up the season 1 boxset for $75.99 canadian. I guess future shop decided to put b5 up for sale on the U.S. street date.

I've only been able to watch disk 1 so far, but I'm very impressed with the transfer. Well, at least for the scenes that were transferred from film. The CGI, and composite shots are scaled incorrectly from an interlaced, not progressive sorce so they exhibit the same problems as found in the In The Beginning Disc.

Sorry I gotta go watch 24 right now, more comments later.

Andrew B

Agent
Howdy eh, I got my B5 box set today up here in Canada, so far I have watched the first and second DVD plus most of the extras on disk 6. I have run into a small problem that I hope is not a widespread issue, anyway I watched disk #2 and found out that it was not the content it should be, instead it had the content from disk #4 (dispite the big #2 on the front of the DVD). I have checked all of the other DVD's and they are OK, but for some reason disk #2 has the same info on it as disk #4. So my big question is has anybody else had the same problem? It would be my luck that I am the only person to have this problem :frowning: Anyway off to the place where I got it tommorow in the hopes that they have a correct version there....
Andrew

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Signs and Portents Raider battle is pretty active in the surrounds department

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
My guess is that the DVD File "reviewers" didn't look at the fine print on the box, or the readout on their A/V receiver indicating 3/2.1 (or 5.1) channel audio detected. They were fooled by the "Surround" logo burned into the screen at the opening of every episode.

I have to agree with the others that the transfer on episode one is a bit inconsistent, but appears to clean up after the first fifteen minutes. I've found the re-mastered 5.1 channel audio a definite step up over the broadcast quality. Keep in mind that I've only had time to catch the opening episode.

Can't wait to dig into the rest of them!

Be seeing you!
Spence

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks