What's new

No 5.1 surround with Comcast STB (1 Viewer)

Tony Mc

Stunt Coordinator
This may be the wrong forum area to pose my question/problem.
I have a problem with outputing 5.1 sound using a Comcast Motorola 6200 STB.
I'm using a toslink digital cable to connect to my AVR receiver from the STB. The only selection on the receiver that responds is for "Analog" and not "Optical". also there is no sound when using the toslink cable connection.
My dvd player is connected to the receiver with a toslink digital audio cable and that works fine. It connects with the "Optical" setting.
I'm aware that not all channels broadcast with 5.1, so I ensure that Itune to a channel like Showtime HDTV which has the 5.1 symbol.
I have the cable folks coming today to check on the problem. Not sure if it is the cable box or my cable. Although when the toslink cable is connected to the cable box, there is light coming through the cable to the other end.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tony

Tony,

The STB has to be configured to output via the digital connection. Press the 'menu' key on your remote and go to the setup screen. There should be an option for audio setup where you can make this change.

Let me know if that works.

-Vishal

Tony Mc

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your help Vishal. I've already gone to the audio setup section and there isn't a selection for digital or analog output.
These are the selections and my current configuration:
Optimal Stereo ->Yes
Audio Output -> Advanced
Compression -> Heavy
Stereo Output -> matrix stereo

Tony Mc

Stunt Coordinator
The problem has been solved. My Harman Kardan AVR receiver will only accept a change for the type of audio, such as "Analog", "Optical", or "Coaxial" via the remote control. Now that is a definite design screwup. You cannot on the receiver I have, change the type of audio by using the "Digital Select" button on the receiver. What a pain in the you know what!!!
But at least, my problem is solved!!!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
You need to change your "Compression -> Heavy" setting to "NONE" or "OFF." This may effect the audio quality if the box applies dynamic range compression to the digital output.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks