What's new

No 4K release for Gone With The Wind’s 80th Anniversary? (1 Viewer)

GWTWTOO

Agent
Real Name
Mark
Mr. Harris, is there any way you could find information about WB's plans for GWTW? It still would be nice for *something* to happen for the 80th...watching it last night, the process shots, of which there are many, are numerous. I just can't figure out why they wouldn't fix the shot of Tara during the "Land is the only thing that matters" scene. The shot of the house actually seems to be moving vertically.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Does any footage of Widescreen versions of of GWTW and Oz exist? With all of this talk about them I'd like to see it for myself out of curiosity.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The, shall we say, problematic aspects of GWTW have been controversies to one degree or another since 1939. Fathom events did an 80th anniversary screening event earlier this year, which would suggest WB is not nervous about re-releasing it.

Maybe they are stuck in deliberations over what kind of swag to include in the over-sized 80th-anniversary box set? Perhaps a commemorative Gone With the Wind 80th-Anniversary electric fan?

We all know what non-disc extras they really need to include:

carol-burnett-b-wwtw.jpg

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
We all know what non-disc extras they really need to include:

b9de2f6573d0a3f9e8f23a891104ab66.jpg

No, that would be included in a Carol Burnett Ultimate Collector's Blu-ray Edition along with a Mr. Tuddball intercom mug, As The Stomach Turns door bell keychain that when pressed it rings off cue and a Eunice's dress designed apron.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I like the ending of Albert Brooks Real Life where he duplicates the burning of Atlanta by setting fire to a house and you can hear Max Steiner's famous score while the house goes up in flames.

Reactions: PMF

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Flip Wilson is an icon to the gay community. Never said or did anything offensive.

I was a little kid when Wilson hit his popular peak, and I was 7 when his show left the air. I was definitely aware of him and pretty sure my family watched the show, but I don't have great memories of his work.

I do recall that he was enormously popular - so much so that the way his career immediately plummeted when the show left the air when it stopped shocks me.

It's unclear to me if this was his choice or not. Did he intentionally recede from the spotlight or did he just lose popularity?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
No--the show had run its course, but he was involved in some ugly custody battles in the 70s which is why he didn't bounce back to tv very fast.

Off topic! I know...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
He also flopped in a CBS sitcom called Charlie and Company in 1985. Gladys Knight played his wife, and she seemed less uncomfortable with it than he did at being tied down to a single non-drag character in a show obviously meant to capitalize on the ratings success of The Cosby Show, which was in Flip's old NBC time slot.* Jaleel White, who later went on to play Steve Urkel** and do the voice of Sonic the Hedgehog (as well as a small part in the movie of Dreamgirls), played their son.

*The Devil and Max Devlin made them do it. Speaking of "and Company" (not that Billy Joel cartoon based on a Dickens book other than the one read herein), Disney owns Flip's 1980s show now since 20th Century Fox TV produced it.
**Family Matters premiered in 1989, the same year GWTW turned 50. The year it went off the air, 1998, was the same year as New Line Cinema's disastrous-looking GWTW reissue with the 1.33:1 image windowboxed within anamorphically squeezed 35mm prints.

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I must have missed a memo as this is the first time I have ever heard of Flip Wilson referred to as a gay icon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks