Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
My wife has *never* seen Gone with the Wind and has zero interest in ever seeing it. I just don't understand that. I first saw it in the 60s when my parents took my sister and I to a revival showing. I thought it was quite long and a bit boring in places but overall really enjoyed it (and Clark Gable cussed!). I have a one of the DVD releases as well as the 70th Anniversary BR and have never been able to talk her into a viewing. :(
TBH, even I, who's watched it several times in my lifetime, now watches it in 2-3 stages. If it ever plays on a large movie screen again, I might force myself to go to it just to watch it at one seating.:) At home, I get antsy and have too many distractions available to me to watch the film in its entirety at one seating. Perhaps, that will change if it comes out on 4K/UHD, but even then I think I will divide it up in almost 2 hour blocks.

Last edited:

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian
I wonder if WB is a bit nervous about re-releasing Gone with the Wind as there's been some negative sentiment towards it lately.
The, shall we say, problematic aspects of GWTW have been controversies to one degree or another since 1939. Fathom events did an 80th anniversary screening event earlier this year, which would suggest WB is not nervous about re-releasing it.

Maybe they are stuck in deliberations over what kind of swag to include in the over-sized 80th-anniversary box set? Perhaps a commemorative Gone With the Wind 80th-Anniversary electric fan?

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
The, shall we say, problematic aspects of GWTW have been controversies to one degree or another since 1939. Fathom events did an 80th anniversary screening event earlier this year, which would suggest WB is not nervous about re-releasing it.

Maybe they are stuck in deliberations over what kind of swag to include in the over-sized 80th-anniversary box set? Perhaps a commemorative Gone With the Wind 80th-Anniversary electric fan?
Yeah, unfortunately, Fathom events are not shown here in my area without me taking a 40 minute road trip one way.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert Harris
Cannot imagine the need, or propriety for GWTW inn 4k.

Last edited:

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Since this is an Anniverary thread I'll mention that I'd love to have a 60th Anniversary of 1959 Ben-Hur in 4k uhd.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Howie
I can more easily understand why she'd avoid "Clockwork Orange", as it's not exactly a "female friendly" movie.

But "GWTW" is arguably the definition of "chick flick"!
Which is exactly why I don't get her not wanting, or caring, to see GWTW. I think she'd really like most of it. Oh well... it is what it is.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Since this is an Anniverary thread I'll mention that I'd love to have a 60th Anniversary of 1959 Ben-Hur in 4k uhd.
This is an Anniversary thread for Gone With the Wind, not any other film title.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Cannot image the need, or propriety for GWTW inn 4k.
The same can be said about another 1939 title that is coming out in October or many other much lesser titles that are being released in 4K.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Really, guys...let's try to stay on topic.

It's a young thread and we've spent more time talking about Gunga Din, The Wizard of Oz, and Fantasia than we have about the film in question--Gone With the Wind.
This post bears repeating as some of us keep ignoring it.

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, unfortunately, Fathom events are not shown here in my area without me taking a 40 minute road trip one way.
I went when they did the 75th anniversary screening (luckily, I only had to go a couple miles). It was a packed house and AMC even put it on one of their larger screens, instead of the glorified television they usually use for projecting Fathom Events.

The only problem was they padded out the 4-hour running time by adding a TCM intro and then did not provide a proper intermission: The only break was the length of the entr' acte, which meant a large portion of the audience (myself included) got back to the theater several minutes after the 2nd part had begun.

Mark Mayes

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Mayes
The film was a big success for Fathom:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-gone-wind-sets-record-fathom-1195914

The screening was far too yellow for me ( I saw it in Beverly Hills, and they gave us a proper intermission).

I find that the blu looks pretty yellow. too I see some great color values--but, for example, Rhett's proposal in Aunt Pitty's parlor is suffused in yellow and overpowers some of the color and pattern detail to me. I guess I'm too used to the releases not timed to the original release prints.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert Harris
The same can be said about another 1939 title that is coming out in October or many other much lesser titles that are being released in 4K.
Robert,

Very different films. GW is littered with multiple mattes and opticals, Moreno than even Oz, which blend nicely in dye transfer, which is probably lower Rez than 2k. At 4, it would need a great deal of hand-holding.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Robert,

Very different films. GW is littered with multiple mattes and opticals, Moreno than even Oz, which blend nicely in dye transfer, which is probably lower Rez than 2k. At 4, it would need a great deal of hand-holding.
Well, based on your comments and reading between the lines, I guess we're out of luck with GWTW on 4K disc in the foreseeable future.:(

Reactions: Tony Bensley

Mark-P

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well if that's how it's going to be and and a 4K release isn't announced by the end of October, then I'm going to plan to re-watch my Blu-ray this winter which I haven't watched in 10 years!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert Harris
Well, based on your comments and reading between the lines, I guess we're out of luck with GWTW on 4K disc in the foreseeable future.:(
Does not mean a 4k will not be produced

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarikatrneha