What's new

NLCS: Giants vs. Cardinals (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
How did you think these 2 teams match up against one another?

I fear that the Cardinals are this year's team of destiny in the NL.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
It will be a good series. Both teams have good staring pitching and bullpens. However San Fran is better at the long ball while the Cardinals are a small-ball team

Cards win in 6 games.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I think that it'll be a good series. The two teams are pretty even but I think the Cards will win (of course). I just hope that Rolen and Woody will be back soon.
At least I'll get some media coverage this time. All of the D-backs series was banished to Fox Family around here and the local papers had barely a trickle of information. I gotta make sure to wear my Cards hat whenever I go out this week. :)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I just hope that Rolen and Woody will be back soon.
Woody is set to pitch game two. He threw about 30 pitches Sunday and felt perfectly fine on Monday.
Rolen is out of the NLCS. If the Cards make it to the WS he is still an outside chance. Apparently he is in a lot of pain and can't move his arm past the 3 o'clock position.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I think the Giants very average pitching - with the exception that Reuter (sp?) has done really well against the cards. Cards, even without Rolen, have probably the best defensive team in baseball - just watching Pujols gun out two guys at the plate was great!

I think the advantage has to go to the Cardinals, but I would feel a whole lot better if Rolen was playing.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Reuter (or Woody as he is known) has had the Cards number for years. He still lives near there.
I think the Giants very average pitching
Hmmmm 2nd best ERA in the NL, I think average would be about 10th. If the starter can get to the 6th, the Bullpen can finish it up.
Tim, Which Pittsburgh are you in???
Oh sorry to say but the Giants are ther team of destiny. Cards blew that last year....cant be a destiny team two years in a row (I checked the rules):D :D

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Tim, Which Pittsburgh are you in???
I'm in Pittsburg (as in California) not Pittsburgh (as in Pennsylvania). :) I grew up in Illinois and have been a Cardinals fan my whole life.
I'm glad to hear that Woody Williams will be starting game 2. I just hope that he's actually healthy. He's pitched great for the Cards when he's healthy.
The whole situation with Rolen just pisses me off. The D-backs scrub who ran into him could have easily avoided him. Because of his baserunning mistake (or was it on purpose?), the Cards are without one of their best players for the series. :angry:

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
average = lack of dominant starting pitching. Other than Nen (who's one of the better closers) where's the dominant pitcher? They have pretty average starters.

We've seen many cases in the past where dominant starters can take a team all the way - some starting 3 games in a playoff series. Last year's an obvious example, but look at Morris in '89. In a series, it's not as important that you have a really deep bullpen and a good healthy rotation - if you've got a guy who can pitch 2-3 8 inning outings and give up 1-2 runs and then a top-flight closer, it's lights out.

I think the Giants pitching is deep and relatively consistent, but that isn't really an advantage in a playoff series.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Today's newspaper states that Rolen has had significant improvement in the last 2 days and may be available by game 3. That's certainly good news.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
That was the worst I've seen Morris pitch all year. I had to turn the game off because it was too painful to watch. I did keep checking back in to catch the score but it was a poorly pitched game by the Cards. Obviously they can't do that against a team the quality of the Giants. I was glad to see that at least the Cards scored some runs and made somewhat of a game out of it. Cairo continues to impress me. It's hard to believe that he can't find a starting job somewhere. Hopefully tonight's game will be a little better.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Maybe it was good hitting....Naw it couldn't be that
Morris had no control all night. He just didn't have his good stuff and he was constantly behind in the count. Because of this, he was forced to throw in the strike zone to keep from walking more batters. If you know anything about Morris, you know that he's usually got much better stuff than that. Good hitting is when a pitcher makes his pitch but the batter hits it anyway. That's not what I saw last night. I'm not taking anything away from the Giants. They won the game and deserve the credit. I was simply stating that Morris pitched terrible.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I liked the Cards in the series but after last night, I think the Giants will play for the Championship and Bonds will solidify his place as one of the all time greats. Tonight's game should be good.

I don't know much about either team except that both teams are pretty hot right now.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Tim
I dont know that much about the Cardinals but his record shows otherwise.
just waiting around for Game #2
Grant

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I dont know that much about the Cardinals but his record shows otherwise
What does it show otherwise??? Morris was 17-9 this year with a 3.42 ERA in a season where one of his closest friends died. Last year he was 22-8 with a 3.16 ERA. He's one of the top starters in the NL. You're right, you don't know much about the Cardinals.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Sorry you misunderstood me. I meant his good record does not reflect his bad outing last night.
Sometimes I get tired of typing and try to use to few words.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Another average pitcher kicks ass!!!!!!!
Actually Jason Schmidt is a very good pitcher and he pitched great last night. IMO he's the Giants best starter. I think that by next year he will put himself among the best starters in the NL.

Woody Williams pitched great last night also, but he made 2 mistakes to Aurilia and Aurilia made him pay. I don't know what's wrong with the Cards but they've put themselves in a bad situation. Did the sweep of the Dbacks made them overconfident? I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks