What's new

NL: 1st round playoffs (1 Viewer)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I love it! Cards are up 2-0 and are heading home. I figured that today's game would be tougher but Finley was up to the challenge. Hopefully they'll finish it out next game.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Braves just wrestled back home field advantage by demolishing the Giants in their backyard 10-2 behind some clutch hitting from the bottom of their line-up, and their good relief pitching that's sustained them all year long, plus a good start from Maddux.

I like the Braves chances to finish off the Giants in Game 4 tomorrow, even though Glavine will probably get the start for the Braves, let's hope he makes the adjustments to not get dinged around like he did in Game 1.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
How about my Cardinals? Beat Randy Johnson AND Curt Schilling!
That just blows my socks off.:confused: I honestly didn't believe those two would blow it so big. I didn't think they had the goods to go all the way again this season, but still I figured just those two alone would give anyone a run for their money.
Anyway here's rooting for the Giants in the NL. I would love to see them and the A's in the Series. -Crosses fingers-

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Here's the thing: If the Cards lose Game 3, they still aren't out of the woods, the odds of beating either Schilling or Johnson twice in a 5 game series are low.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Here's the thing: If the Cards lose Game 3, they still aren't out of the woods, the odds of beating either Schilling or Johnson twice in a 5 game series are low
I don't necessarily agree with that, but we won't have to worry about it since the Cards just won game 3 and SWEPT THE SERIES!!!! :D Oh yea! They get to rest until Wednesday. Hopefully Woody Williams and Scott Rolen can get healthy.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
They will need ROlen sooner or later. THat one play tonight where Cairo almost booted it was just proof that Rolen makes that team better (though Cairo kicked *ss with the stick tonight.)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Pat
I think both teams are going to be pretty exhausted for game 5.
Maybe this one will be close???
God, I'll be nervous all day

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Big game. Wow, what a first round it has been for all divisions. Yankees lose to the wildcard, A's and Twins go 5, Braves and Giants go 5, the world champs get swept in the first round. Should be interesting... Go Braves!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
What the #%)_*(???
Why is Bush on the TV when the Giants should be on??????????/
THis really Pisses me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Can you believe the ending of this game so far?

Bottom 9th, 3-1 Sheff is the go ahead run at the plate.

WOW. Serious drama.

(edit #1) - nasty K by Nen, but here comes Chipper.

(edit #2) - A DOUBLE PLAY...and a smart play by JT Snow.

So now in every case, the team with the LOWER PAYROLL won each series. Are there any top 10 payrolls left? Maybe St. Louis?

(sorry, this was wrong. OAK had a lower payroll than the Twins by less than $1m I believe).

Also, the Giants are the last top 10 opening payroll left, Cards started 13th. Angels were 15th.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Great Game I am still in shock!
AND I got tickets for the 2nd & 3rd game in SF!!!

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Buffalo Bills ain't got nothin' on the Braves.

If Pink Floyd wrote a song about the Atlanta Braves it would be called "POW R CHOK H".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sigh, at least the Braves got one lousy championship, one more than what the Bills can lay claim to.

That was one clutch-less game last night from the Braves. But nonetheless, the game was full of drama from the 5th inning on. As a Braves fan, you have to give the Giants all the props for placing their fielders just where they needed to be to make the plays. Chipper stung two grounders that got snapped up for extra-crucial outs, and that made all the difference in the game. I was surprised at Furcal swinging for the fences the entire game. I was surprised at Lockhart chasing balls up out of the strike zone with a 3-0 count. I was shaking my head at so many home run cuts by the Braves batters.

Anyhow, congrats to the Giants for coming through with clutch pitching and making their runs counts.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I was surprised at Lockhart chasing balls up out of the strike zone with a 3-0 count.
Actually it was a 3-1 count, he did take a strike. (Not that it really matters)
I had a bad feeling once the game got started, that it would go down this way. A lot of stranded base-runners in key at-bats.
Oh well, It was an exciting game that had me on the edge of my seat, hoping for that one clutch hit that never happened. Great pitching and defense from both teams.
Guess I'll just have to wait until next year to see the Braves get their 2nd championship during this great (11 years) run. (soon to be 12 :))

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think it might be the end of the road for the Braves run. I can't see them signing both Glavine and Maddux (both are free agents now) to the 3-year contracts that either one would be wanting. And given how poorly Glavine finished the season, you have to wonder if he'd even re-sign for a one year contract. I'd take a chance on Maddux, though, he'll pitch into his 40's if a team will give him a spot in the rotation. I've got a bitter taste in my mouth from Glavine's ineffectiveness in the first round of the playoffs.

Sans Glavine and Maddux, only Millwood is proven as a starter (as long as he stays healthy). Moss is still iffy to me. Marquis has great stuff, just hasn't put it all together (and he may never put it all together). It's good that Smoltz will be back, but I wonder if we'll have anywhere near the same bullpen effectiveness that we did this year.

The Braves need an everyday 1st baseman (no more platooning!), and perhaps a 3rd baseman with more pop/average in his bat than Castilla. Second base - I'd give it to Derosa if he could stay healthy. I'd still keep Lockhart (but then, what do you do with Giles (unless you have Derosa play 3rd, and have Lockhart and Giles platoon at second).

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Can you believe it, the underdogs from each and every series won. Who would have thought the Angels, Twins, Giants and Cardinals would be the final 4 teams???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks