What's new

NJ/NY "Mad, Mad World" Meet at the Loew's! (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Just wanted to announce an unofficial meet for any New Jersey/New York-metro area HTF members.
On Saturday, April 6, the landmark Loew's Jersey theatre (a 3300-seat movie palace currently undergoing restoration) - in downtown Jersey City, New Jersey, will be showing the Stanley Kramer comedy classic IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD on the big creeen in 35mm Panavision and dye-transfer Technicolor. Showtime is at 7:30. Interest level from members has been high to attend this showing and, if we have enough representation, I have been able to arrange a private tour of this unique facility. The tour would take place AFTER the movie is over. The Loew's Jersey is conveniently located at Journal Square in Jersey City and is very convenient to PATH trains, bus service and cars.
This showing is part of the theater's Classic Comedy Weekend, April 5-7, which includes 35mm screenings of RAISING ARIZONA, WAY OUT WEST, and Abbott & Costello's JACK AND THE BEANSTALK.
Area members who plan to attend the MAD WORLD showing should post their interest here so I can get the tour arranged. Looking forward to meeting all of you for the first time!
Further information about the theatre can be obtained here
Loew's Jersey

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Absolutely! Mark me down for 2 Pete. I would also suggest starting a thread in the MOVIES section to generate even more interest.
See you all there!:)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Remember, the showing is this weekend! Any HTF members who wish to attend the Saturday night showing of MAD MAD WORLD are invited to attend a private tour of the facility after the show is over. Please post your intention to go in this thread so I can give an accurate count of "tour folk" to my friend at the the theater. I'll post here on Friday with specific meeting instructions for inside the lobby after you've got your tickets. Feel free to bring your friends and neighbors as well, admission is cheap!
Pete
Theater info: Loew's Jersey website

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Dana,
Sure thing, bring the camera. There are many interesting architectural details in the building that are worth documenting. Just remember, no flash pictures during the movie! ;)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Just wanted to coordinate with you guys the unofficial meet tomorrow night (Saturday) at the Loew's Jersey.
The movie starts at 7:30, so plan to arrive at the theater by around 7pm. (Allow time for parking in the lot behind the theater or on the street!). Once you buy your tickets (just inside the front doors), you'll step into the main lobby. Towards the back of the lobby is a grand staircase leading up to the restrooms and balcony. We should meet & greet in front of that right-hand staircase on the ground level between 7 and 7:15. Since I've never met any of you before, I'll be wearing a baseball cap (either "Lord of the Rings" or "Hammer Films", whichever I can find in my closet!) for easy spotting. If he's not running around too much, I'll try to get Bob Furmanek, the director of film programming, to stop by for a second. Then we should pick our seats for the film - since everyone's taste in seating is different (and with my son along, I never know where he'll want to sit!), we should just sit in whatever section we prefer (unfortunately, the balcony is not available).
After the movie, we should meet again at that same spot in the lobby. At that point, Bob (or somebody else, if he's tied up) will meet up with us for the tour. Since I'm coming to the show with my wife and son - and it's going to be late - I'm probably not going to stay for the whole tour. In the *unlikely* event that I can't make the show at all (only wild horses or serious illness will keep me away) - one of you will need to just find a theater volunteer and have that person track down Bob for the tour as he's expecting us.
Please RSVP to me via e-mail so I know you're coming. ([email protected])
Further note that the Loew's does NOT have a concession stand of any kind yet, so make sure to bring your own supplies of snacks, drinks, etc. Also, don't disappear during the intermission as there will be a special surprise playing over the speakers. While I can't say what that is, let's just say it has something to do with the Cinerama Roadshow intermission (and not just the music...)
See you tomorrow night!
Pete Apruzzese
Theater info: Loew's Jersey

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Well, I was only able to hook up with Tino on Saturday night. I forgot my headgear and the place was crawling with people, so I'm sorry if you were there and I missed you! The whole night was amazing, please see my post in Movies about the event.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I was there, but I missed you and Tino both, Peter! Tino called me later that night and told me what happened from his end.

Yeah, I had a blast watching it -- I was a MMMMW virgin, never had seen the movie before, so it was a double treat. The print was scratched up pretty bad at spots, and some dialogue was chopped between reels, and one spot had the color fade out badly, but overall it was a great presentation, and you could tell the audience was reacting greatly to the experience.

I'd love to go back there for Close Encounters when it comes there later in the month, but I fear I may be leaving the East Coast for a while (job offer possibly in Seattle, keepin' my fingers crossed!)

--

Dana

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Like I said in the other thread, it was great seeing IAMMMMW on the big screen with a packed house.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::)
Sorry again I missed you Dana, but I can probably make the Close Encounters screening later this month if you are able to go.
Keep these updates coming Peter. See you all soon.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Sorry about missing you, Dana. I was absolutely shocked at how many people were in attendance for the two shows I went to.
I wish we could start an "official" Loew's thread in movies... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks