What's new

NJ H.O. Insurance... who? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I need to get a quick H.O. insurance policy as a backup to NJ Manufacturers because I close on a house on Dec 2nd. It appears NJM is kind of slow and there there is a slight chance I might not get one before my closing date so I need a backup. I chose NJM pretty much because I have a NJM auto policy, they're probably the cheapest and I get a discount off that because of my auto policy. Anyway, State Farm, AllState? Both have offices/agents near me. I plan on switching to NJM ASAP but figure I should at least ask for opinions, experiences...

Thanks,
Jay

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Jay,

I recently closed on a house in NJ, and am getting my insurance through Liberty Mutual. They were significantly cheaper than State Farm (who I had previously) with a lower deductable as well. I have also heard good things about All-States. The turnaround on insurance from Liberty Mututal was literally a couple days. They issued a policy based on the buying price, square footage, oil tank or not, garage or not and then later sent out an appraiser.

My fiance uses NJM for her auto insurance, and has run into a similar experience as yourself. While their prices are good it takes forever to get things done.

J

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks Justin, I had a reply set up last night but somehow the HTF database got corrupt and I couldn't post it...

Long story hort, all of the local offices were closed yesterday (day after thanksgiving), including Liberty Mutual, State Farm (agent), and Allstate, so I called Allstate and got a quote which was cheaper than NJM because Allstate does "guaranteed replacement cost" so I didn't have to lie and say my dwelling was worth the amount of my mortgage, which if I multiplied my dwelling apparisal, doesn't even match my mortgage.

Anyway, I was able to do that in about 40 minutes...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks