NJ drivers and the front license plate..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, May 10, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Those of you in NJ and who do not have a front license plate on, do you get harassed by cops? I just got a new MR2 Spyder and the front license plate would look horrible on it so I'm thinking of taking the insert off and perhaps buying a new front lip (since they need to screw in the holes for it) and keep the plate lip for when I have to go do official stuff like inspection and stuff like that. For those of you who live in NJ and have no front plate (which is mandatory), do you get harassed by the cops??

Thanks,

Jay

2. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Maryland has both plates. Usually they wont pull you over for it (but they could) but you could get an extra fine if you get pulled over for something else.

Bill

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    That's kind of what I hear from a couple people that I know of. It wouldn't be so bad if the MR2 wasn't a small roadster with a low overhang (it's mid-engined) in the front, but the way the base Toyota plate holder is, it puts the plate half into the lower air dam and half above the front lip. Yuk. I've seen an aftermarket job that puts the plate all over the front air dam, which is a nice job but still not as nice as not having one.
    I'm real good at avoiding the cops because I'm never 5-10mph over the speed of traffic and I know when it's OK to fly and when to follow traffic. I'm also very good at using other people as radar. [​IMG]
    Jay

4. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

I havent had mine on for 2 years. I have an Acura Integra. I only put it on during inspection and that was it. When I drive by a sitting cop I'll look to see if he notices but doesnt (zzzzzzzzzzz). So I doubt they even look.

Mike

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey Mike, do you know Neil V? Another HTF member in Wyckoff. I'm not far from both of you actually. Just a bit west of both of you. I spoke to a friend here who has no front plates on his Z28 and he actually has gotten pulled over 3 times and given 2 warnings for lack of a plate and a ticket once from a cop who actually threatened to impound the car.

Dunno... I think I'm gonna play it by ear, my car isn't like ticket-me-red or anything, it's green with a tan top.

I just replaced the ugly whip antenna with a BMW style antenna and debadged the Toyota on it. I'll probably even debadge the MR2 Spyder on it too sooner or later.

Jay

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

can you stick it in the front windshield when you get pulled over real quick like? would that fly as being displayed or no?

7. Mike Main

Yeah my car is modified but not too noticeable. I dont know Neil but I see that he lives in Wyckoff which is fairly small like 15k people. I just keep the plate on the floor in my backseat. HAHA. Yeah if u have a Rustang or a Camaro, you are definitely on the Hot List with cops.

Mike

8. Steve Schick

Steve Schick Stunt Coordinator

Here in Illinois we are required to have both front and back plate.

Here's how I got around that:

A few years ago my wife was driving my car and accidentally bumped the front plate with the post in front of a parking space, dented the plate and cracked the plastic mount.

I took it off and kept it in the trunk.

It's been back there ever since. Once I got stopped, I just told the cop another car tore it off in a parking lot, and showed him the damaged plate. He just said "well, that sucks. Just try to get it replaced when you get a chance"

I just haven't had the chance to do that yet, two years later.

So... just find a mount that looks like yours, at a junk yard, and keep it in your trunk or back seat, along with your "damaged: liscense plate.

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

10. Mike Main

BTW How do u like the car?

Mike

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I am still buzzing over how much fun it is. I love the sequential tranny as it's great for traffic while still being a manual. It's not geared towards racing as a true 5spd is still faster but since I have no intentions on racing the next joe or straightline performance, i.e. it's not a drag racer anyway, it's a blast. I've got one persistent rattle in the door panel but I am gonna get some Dynamat-like material and fix that. Might replace the speakers while I'm at it sooner or later. I've already replaced the ugly antenna and debadged it. It's like a go-kart! It has a nice suspension on it, MacPhersons and a dual-link suspension in the back. Handles (as stock) pretty well, a better cross brace section in the front and rear would make it handle on rails but the compromise between comfort and handing is good.

But the sheer fun factor is off the scale, it's great and I've only seen about 3-4 of these cars on the road in my entire driving history over here..

Jay