What's new

Nixon and Natural Born Killers Directors Cut ever coming ANAMORPHIC? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering if either of these releases will ever be coming out in proper anamorphic format.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
depends, because i don't know who technically owns the rights to the unrated vresion of "nbk". since Trimark entertainment (now lions gate) released the dc, but warner released the theatrical release.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
True. I don't know either. I haven't even seen this movie. I thought it was too overtly violent until I finally realized it was somewhat satirical.

I now own the single disc from the collector box set. I will be buying the directors cut, non-anamorphic or not. Could I, through a creative backup, merge the two onto a DVD RW to watch the anamorphic theatrical but with the extra directors cut material? Or could you somehow watch them together in a 5 disc changer? Changing discs at the appropriate scene? Or is the extra footage in the directors cut far too convoluted to allow that?

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I share your frustration about Nixon. Unfortunately, Miramax at that time just hadn't cottoned on to the simple fact that DVD's of modern films were supposed to be anamorphic! During the earlier years of DVD, they released a whole lot of titles in non-anamorphic format, and most of them have not been reissued since.

We'll probably have to await HD reissues of films such as Nixon now. Any bets about how long it will be before we see Nixon issued on Blu-ray? I'm not holding my breath.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
it would be too tough (since alot of the extra stuff is like one or two shots each). just get the unrated, and zoom in your player to get rid of the bars on the top and bottom.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Right, well there is no need to remove the top and bottom black bars, the movie is 2.40:1 is it not? I don't mind zooming all that much. It works ok.

So the theatrical cut of NBK in the box set doesn't have what you're talking about? Nine Inch Nails??

Patrick H.

Second Unit
The director's cut of 'Nixon' isn't just non-anamorphic...the added material looks like it was pulled from 3rd-generation video dubs, with the pivotal Richard Helms sequence even at the wrong aspect ratio (almost looks like 2.65:1!). It's embarassingly BAD quality, even damaging to the film. It's a real shame, too, as I like the movie and would readily pick it up if it were remastered to the point of just being watchable.

Ray-M

Agent
If you can get the 2 disc snapper version of Nixon,It drops the dts track which bumps up the video rate,which gives it slightly better picture quality.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so the version I have in my box set is the "directors cut"? So it would be better for me to find which other version of Nixon?

Ray-M

Agent
I would stick with your box set DC version.The newer collector's edition DC(which are identical discs)adds a dts track which drops the video rate even lower,and this transfer needs all the help it can get.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
When I say box set, I am talking the Ultimate Oliver Stone box set with the dropped second discs. This version I have is just the first disc and has DTS. I am confused. I hate trying to scramble around for the best out of the crappy versions out there.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
NBK is 1.85. The DC has around 150 shots spliced in at random points during the film; it would be impossible to toggle between dvds. The non-anamorphic theatrical Nixon, now out of print, is probably the most watchable (video-quality wise) of the available nixon dvds, as it doesn't have those absurd aspect ratio changes and horrifying changes in quality that the dc discs are said to have. I wish they would release the man's movies right. Kudos to Universal for their excellent Born on the 4th and MGM for their endless, but good, reissues of Platoon.

Regards,
Nathan

Ray-M

Agent
I was refering to the 2 disc Nixon DC snapper dvd that doesn't have dts.I compared the two,and the non dts has a slightly better picture.I haven't seen the theatrical cut dvd.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Ok, now I see. Its weird because most say the original was the worst quality video. As far as NBK goes, I guess I will look into the NBK DC out of curiosity, but nothing more.

Jace_A

Second Unit
An anamorphic version of NBK Director's Cut exists in R2 and R4; it's released by Univesal.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. I will look into that. Only trouble is if its PAL then it'll have the PAL speed-up. I cannot tell if I am sensitive to that yet. At least I have an ALL REGION player.

Joe D

Supporting Actor

You would think they would have tried to match the video, but nope, absolutely terrible quality.

Where is the quality control?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Warner is releasing the uncut NBK on both HD-DVD and DVD this fall. It's on their tentative release schedule that I saw posted either here or at AVS. I believe it was October if I'm not mistaken.

The theatrical cut is currently available from Warner and is anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks