Nitro vs. Raw...WWE vs. WCW DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John KB, Jan 12, 2004.

1. John KB

John KB Second Unit

Anybody have any information on this DVD? I'm not even totally sure what it's called. I just know it will contain matches from both Nitro and Raw.

2. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I believe its called the Monday Night Wars. Its a documentary style thing containing interviews from Vince McMahon, Eric Bischoff, Rey Mysterio Jr., Pat Patterson Gerald Briscoe and others.

Known bonus material includes:
    Steve Austin/Shawn Michaels Vs. Owen Hart/The British Bulldog tag title match from 1997 raw.
    HHH/Shawn Michaels Vs. L.O.D. from Raw
    Booker T Vs. Chris Benoit, WCW Monday Nitro &
    Hulk Hogan Vs. Goldberg from WCW Monday Nitro, 1998.

I'll be getting it for the Hartfoundation/Austin Michaels tag match, the Hogan/Goldberg world title and I'll sit through the documentary with the bs meeter on just in case.

I expect there will be more extras...its a February release.

3. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

Since it's coming from the WWE, the documentary will probably be BS. I doubt they would even admit that WCW almost put them out of business.

Extra matches are a plus, like I can understand Goldberg vs. Hogan for what it meant to the war (WCW decided not to wait for a PPV, choosing instead to give it for free on cable so they could win the ratings that week) but why stuff like HHH/HBK vs. LOD?

Thanks for the heads up Casey.

4. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I guess after the LOD vs HHH/HBK match, Road Dogg and Billy Gunn run down, put Animal through a table, shave Hawk's mohawk, and are then congratulated by Shawn and HHH, thus foreshadowing the next iteration of DX...nevertheless, I still don't see why it's on there.

Everyone says the HBK/Austin vs Owen/Davey is a genuine classic, and I can't even remember it, so if the price is cheap enough....

I know they won't do it, but I'd prefer less releases like this from now on, with a fluff "documentary" and a handful of matches, especially one that will rate so high on the BS meter. Just give me discs full of matches ala Flair and Foley, please.

5. Casey Trowbridg

just for fun when this comes out, I'll watch the doc, and put up a sutto-review on this forum. I don't know about the L.O.D. match I really don't remember it all that well, but the Hogan/Goldberg match has historical significance, the tag match is as good as advertised, and so was the Booker/Benoit series of matches from Nitro.

I agree with Nick on the fluff pieces and how I could live without them.

Why do I think that I might hear Eric Bischoff say something like: "Well, we knew we could never beat the WWE but we wanted to at least give it a shot." or something like: "Ultimately, WWF was going to win out it could reach no other conclusion." Anything like that would be total BS because if Bischoff had his way, he wouldn't be working for WWE he'd still be leading WCW as its outright owner.

There was a blurb about this in today's news update at www.wrestlingobserver.com, and in that same blurb it mentioned that the first 2 WrestleMania's and the First 2 Royal Rumbles will be released on DVD in the UK.

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

great news on the wrestlemania 1 & 2 releases over here in the UK

[​IMG]

7. Matt Hetzler

Matt Hetzler Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like a GREAT DVD! It's out on Feb 10th, BTW.

8. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I was hyped myself for the Wrestlemania and Royal Rumble releases.....until I saw the running times. The Wrestlemania set is approximately 4 hours, while the Rumble set is five. Weren't all four of these events 3 hours long each? I can't remember when 3 hours became the standard for PPVs, so I'm not certian on this.

9. Casey Trowbridg

Nick, I don't know about the approximate run time for the Pay Per Views when they ran live, because most major VHS releases since them have all been clipped to some degree or another, but if they added stuff back in I could easily see the run times being that long.

Let us remember that WrestleMania IV ran for more than 4 hours on its own, and that the first video release of the show was on 2 tapes...
    I think it was after WM IV that they began to shorten the PPV times down, because that show was long and boring with only 2 really decent matches.

Edit: I misread what the post was actually saying, in that the run time for both WM's was aproximately 4 hours when put together, and the Rumble aproximately 5. Well, looking at it from that point of view it could still work, because I really don't remember that the first 2 WrestleManias were all that long, the WWF used to fill up time at there PPVS with a bunch of crap that they probably wouldn't want to be seen on a DVD release.

WWF even and WCW did this 2 would leave out matches off of a pay per view when it hit the home video market, so buyer be ware.

10. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Casey, after doing a little research, it looks like my post was a moot point anyways...it looks like the matches not listed for these DVDs were also not included on their original VHS releases way back when, so it's no big deal. If these don't get announced for the U.S., it might be time to get one of those $40 PAL converting Cyberhome players I got my best frined Jeff for Christmas.

11. Casey Trowbridg

I'd be shocked if these don't eventually see a U.S. release, although I'm not sure on a time table for such an event.

I have mixed views on the one hand if something originally aired on the PPV I think it should be on the DVD release, along the lines of original theatrical presentation. Yet on the other hand, I've got the first Royal Rumble release on VHS, and the filler that is on there is so bad I think I'd probably just FF anyway.

Nick, perhaps you can speak to this, I see that you mentioned that the Royal Rumble set was 5 hours long.
    What does WWF count as the first royal rumble, the first 1 held was in 1988, but the first 1 on Pay Per View was in 1989. If they count the 1988 Rumble as being the first than you might get it uncut since I believe it was only a 2 hour TV broadcast, I am pretty sure that Royal Rumble 89 was a full 3 hour PPV show.

I don't believe the original rumble ever made it to VHS, though I'm really not sure about it.