Nirvana's Territorial Pissings and The Simpsons ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Feb 11, 2002.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

We were watching an old Simpsons Tree-House of Horror last night in which the whole world came together in peace and harmony and everyone in North America forms the CND peace symbol.

Thing is, they all sing the 'Come on people now...' bit from the beginning of Territorial Pissings. We always assumed Nirvava wrote that but does it come from somewhere totally different? Or were the writers just having a laugh?

Cheers.

2. Shawn McBride

Shawn McBride Stunt Coordinator

Actually, Nirvana borrowed the line from a sappy 1960's hippie song called "Get Together" by the Youngbloods.

3. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

The Youngblood's version of "Get Together", albeit the most famous, is also a cover. The Jefferson Airplane did it a year earlier on their debut album, The Kingston Trio did it three years earlier than that.

I have too much free time.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I'm wondering if when Chris ad-libbed those lines he realized that someday someone might think that Nirvana wrote the lyrics instead of realizing it was a ref to something else. I'm sure he had no idea that Nirvana's success would eclipse the fame of everything else...

In believing that Nirvana wrote those lines, you kinda miss the irony of the song (Which Chris discusses at length in the Nirvana biography "Come As You Are")-- the idea of lost values and songs becoming cliche slogans.

-Vince

6. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Maybe the song wasn't all that big in England? It's pretty well known here, I think.

7. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I've certainly never heard it and nor had many of my mates who tend to know that sort of thing. I just presumed it was a sarcastic, stupid opening for a fantastic piece of thrash! [​IMG]
    Either way it is not credited in the album sleeve (I checked again last night) and so I presumed they wrote it.
    Vince: who's Chris? [​IMG] I thought the bass guy was Krist, or is there someone else involved.

8. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

TheoGB:
    Possibly but hearing his other witty banter during concerts and whatnot (take the 2/22/94 "Roma" concert, for example), it might have been a spontaneous thing. I don't have any versions of the song that predate the release of Nevermind, so I can't be sure.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Chris is his real name, or specifically the name his parents called him. Krist is his spelling he went to late in life, just as Kurt was born "Kurt" but spelled it Kurdt, Curt, etc.

I believe in calling people what their parents named them whenever possible.

10. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

11. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

The song is been played in a few movies as well. One being Forrest Gump.