Nirvana Question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatB, Jan 8, 2003.

1. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

I'm a huge Nirvana fan, I was recently reminded of how much I love them when I heard their new single a few months ago. I had always heard that they were heavily by The Pixies and that were certain songs of the Pixies that were considered almost blueprints for songs like "Teen Spirit". I wondered if anyone knows what these songs were b/c I'd like to listen to some new music and something like this is really interesting to me.

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

The influence is there, mainly in the soft verse/hard chorus, but Smells Like Teen Spirit really doesn't sound like any Pixies song I can think of right off hand.

Where to start depends on your tastes-if you like raw, gritty, punk-infused pop, pick up Surfer Rosa. It takes a few listens to warm up too, but it is a great album. The standout songs on the album are Bone Machine (great production by Steve Albini!), Gigantic, Where is My Mind (you may know this from the end of Fight Club), Cactus (which has been (very badly) covered by David Bowie), and Vamos.

Doolittle is much more of a pop affair, but it's great at what it does. I can't help but think if it had been produced by Steve Albini it would have been that much better. Great songs here are Debaser, Wave of Mutilation, I Bleed, Here Comes Your Man, Monkey Gone to Heaven (maybe the most Nirvana-esque yet mentioned, with a big driving chorus and a cello), La La Love You, There Goes My Gun, and Hey (maybe the Pixies best song).

Nirvana's cited influences often don't sound like Nirvana-Sonic Youth sounds almost absolutely nothing like them, but Cobain claimed they were completely aping them. (Cobain's solo guitar work for The Priest They Called Him, by Burroughs, is very Youthian, however.) The Pixies are a closer fit, but they really have their own vibe.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I think Black Francis (of the Pixies) made it OK to scream into a microphone. That display of emotion (or was it just style with him?) is a more evident carry over from the Pixies to Nirvana than any audible similarity.

4. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Check out "Gouge Away" off of the album Doolittle. This is the song Kurt claimed SLTS ripped off,even though the arrangement is the only thing remotely similar about the two tracks.
    Have you guys ever heard "Eighties" by Killing Joke? If you wanna hear a Nirvana track that is EXACTLY the same, you should. "Eighties" sounds JUST like Come As You Are, but with a slower tempo.