Nirvana Greatest Hits album

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Burkes, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Does the new Nirvana Greatest Hits album feature any new recordings of old songs? I was just curious because I know at least one of the songs was, to my knowledge, only available on the Unplugged album, but it's not listed as "unplugged" on the new disc. I'm wondering if all the songs are studio recordings. Let me know what you all think of this album. Have a great night!

Rob

2. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

I am enjoying the album. They remastered the tracks, so the songs from the early period (About A Girl, Been A Son, Sliver) sound much better than they ever have before. Also, the version of Been A Son is the one from the very rare Blew EP, so it's nice to finally have that version, especially since it is a much better version than the one that appeared on Incesticide. They also included the Scott Litt remix of Pennyroyal Tea which was the version of the song that Kurt wanted released as a single. Unfortunately, when he died, the single was cancelled, and the remix only appeared on the Wal-Mart censored edition of In Utero and a few rogue copies of the single that slipped out onto the market. The rest of the tracks are the standard album versions, with All Apologies and The Man Who Sold the World coming from Unplugged. The European version of the album also includes Where Did You Sleep Last Night from Unplugged.
    Anyway, I am thoroughly enjoying this album, despite the fact that I am a die-hard fan who already owned almost all of this material already. I think it serves its purpose well, and it is nice to finally have an official release of You Know You're Right. Sure, if I had been in charge I would have done things differently, but I wasn't in charge so I'll just enjoy what I've got. I recommend this release to any fan of Nirvana and especially to anybody who is unfamiliar with Nirvana and wants to get a sampling of what they were all about.
    Hope this helped! [​IMG]

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

There is a rumored box set coming, so I'm awaitin' that... [​IMG]

4. Paul Case

The box set is slated for release in 2004. I wish it wasn't so far off, especially since it was originally to have been released last year. [​IMG]
    Oh well...

5. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Stunt Coordinator

As cool as it is to own the rare version of Blew , its just sounds.....weird.
    It seems that the person who picked Nirvana's greatest hits wasnt a Nirvana fan. Seeing how the disc has at LEAST 25 Minutes left on it , how about a little Verse Chorus Verse or D7 or anything resembling a rare track.
    I just wish they would have had a little more incentive for people who already own the cd's to buy it.
    Rant over [​IMG]

6. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Any word on sales figures? I don't know how fast they're released, I'm so used to box office totals.

7. Paul Case

The official Soundscan tabulations won't be released until late Wednesday, but according to unofficial estimates based on current sales "Nirvana" is looking at sales of roughly 250,000 for its first week, which will likely put it in 3rd place on the Billboard album chart behind Eminem's "8 Mile" (#1) and Christina Aguilera's "Stripped" (#2). Interestingly, they are predicting sales of 800,000 for Eminem. While I find it hard to believe that a soundtrack album will sell that much in one week, it does hold true to Eminem's other first week sales figures, so we will see. As I said, all of these figures are just unofficial estimations and could be completely wrong. We won't know for sure until next week.

8. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

9. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I know this has been said before, but I can't help saying it again...

Think of the songs they were going to make and could have made! *sigh* It would've been awesome. I wonder if they exist in a parallel dimension?