What's new

Nirvana Box Set by Christmas (1 Viewer)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I got the price match from Best Buy along with the $5 gift card they were offering with it. They had no problems doing the price match at all.

In case you are wondering, the gift card is inside of the box set, so if you get the price match from Best Buy you are pretty much guaranteed to get the gift card. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Successfully PM'd it too. I was worried that they might argue that since the card is in there, it is technically not the same thing that Target is selling. If they had gone that route, I would have returned the box and headed over to Target.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Wow, I am pleasently surprised by this set. Granted I was keeping my expectations low, based on the bootlegs I've heard and the general 'buzz' about the set, but I'm pretty happy with it. The quality of the recordings is all over the map, but the actual music was much better than I was expecting (ie not just Incesticide 'raw' stuff).

I was slightly dissapointed in the dvd, only because I think they could have put more on it(ie interviews or more 'pro-shot' stuff, and their videos). The positive to that is there is obviously more stuff coming. "Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam" is by far the highest quality portion of the dvd, and is a nice tease for what could be coming. IMO the highlight of the dvd is "Seasons In The Sun", with Kurt on drums, Dave on bass and Krist on guitar... it was really cool, and at the same time sad, to see the band having such a good time... that and unplugged makes you really wonder what could have been if they were still together today.

And finally...

For once they didn't skimp on the packaging! This is a solid(in the physical sense) set, with a very nice and well done booklet.

Edit: forgot to add, because I refuse to buy that disk, my only other complaint is that "You Know You're Right" from the greatest hits is not included.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah, the packaging really is fantastic. I was impressed.

I've only listened to the second disc so far, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out. As Mike said, the recording quality is inconsistent, but the quality of the music is superb. Overall, a fantastic box set.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

This might've been a "no win". Leave off the song and people are bothered they have to buy the single-disc compilation to get it. INCLUDE the song and people who already bought the single-disc compilation to get it are bothered! Personally, I wish they'd included it since I didn't pick up the single-disc...

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I didn't see anyone talking about it here yet, but did you all notice that the flap that folds into the middle (the one that holds discs 3 and 4) and the back (behind the tracklist sticker) is temperature shifting? If you warm it up (I put mine on my heater vent) it will let you see quite a few of the boxes the tapes were in from several of the Nirvana sessions. Kinda cool, but I don't think I'll need to do it again.

As far as the book goes, it is definitely cool. Unfortunately, just like every posthumous Cobain release it contains typographical errors in the way of dates and tracks. I hope to have gathered a correct list over at LN shortly in which I'll post here.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I figured I shoulda posted that the other day.;)

BTW, is it hard for everyone else to get it going with just the warmth from your hand?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Actually, it's easiest for me to use my hands. First I tried breathing hot air on it, but that didn't work too well. Maybe I just have hot hands :D

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I just picked this up yesterday and am looking forward to giving it a spin today. No good price love for me at my local Target though - they didn't get *any* in their Tuesday shipment. Same with my local Circuit City - none. Best Buy had it in stock but was selling it for $39.99 (marked at $49.99) so I was forced to patronize Wal-Mart, where it rang up at $27.99.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
The best way to make the heat-sensitive packaging change colors is to use a hairdryer on it. It will remain changed for a couple of minutes when you use the hairdryer method.

As for the content of the set, I'll echo what everyone else says. The recording quality is varied, but the music is consistiently great. I haven't listened to the whole set yet, but my favorite songs so far are Pen Cap Chew, They Hung Him On A Cross, Even In His Youth, and the rehearsal demo of Smells Like Teen Spirit. The sound of the SLTS demo is terrible, but it's interesting to hear the evolution of the song into the Butch Vig mix at the end of the 2nd disc and finally to the version found on Nevermind.

Overall, I am not disappointed with this set and it is hands-down the best music release of the year.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
I think it was recorded through a 'boombox' so that's why it's so bad, not one you want to listen to with headphones.

Mrs. Butterworth is one of my faves, love Kurt's flea market plan lol.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Very true. :)

Yes, I have listened to it through my headphones, and it is very awkward. When I play it on my stereo or in my car, it's not as annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks