What's new

Nip/Tuck (1 Viewer)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
So what can you all tell me about this show? My sister in law keeps recommending it to me and I noticed that my blockbuster had the first season. Is it a decent show? Worth renting?

Are there more seasons to follow?

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
It is an excellent show. It is currently in its' second season on FX. The surgery scenes and nudity/sex scenes are a bit graphic at times. I love the show.

Brooke

Stunt Coordinator
I bought Nip/Tuck blind. I'd heard a lot of good things about it when it aired but it just didn't really appeal to me (I grew up watching Julian McMahon on bad Aussie soaps). I finally gave in because everything pointed to this being my kinda show. I bought the box set and watched the 13 episodes straight (something I have never done before). I am absolutely hooked! Love it.

I have to turn away during the surgical scenes though - they're a bit much for me.

The show does push the envelope so if you're looking for a nice family drama this is not it.

MattGunn

Auditioning
i really want to see this show, but the only thing holding me back is the surgery scenes. I can't watch operations channels or anything like that... hate seeing this stuff, but other than that, i know i would like this show.

are the scenes really that graphic??

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
The surgery scenes can be a bit graphic, but just turn away if they're too much. You would really be doing yourself a disservice if you passed on this incredible show just due to that. I cannot recommend this show enough.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think it's definitely a case of try before you buy. I personally think it's overrated - for a drama to work, you need more humanity than I think this series possesses. The series deals with the vain and the shallow, but this only works if there is something more fundamentally deep and true to act as a foil, and I just don't think it's there.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I had never seen the show during it's initial run but a friend told me to check it out so I viewed it during it's repeats this Summer.
Wow.
Very impressive. Dark, yet comical Soap with a big Edge. If Touched by An Angel is your type of thing, this may not be for you.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D

It takes place in Miami, the one place more vain than LA, its all about money and looks.
My girlfriend and I are hooked on it. we watched the 1st season premier but nothing after that. We kept hearing these amazing things about it, so we borrowed season 1 from her parents and started to watch them at night about 3 episodes a night for a week. Right as season 2 was starting. So I set up the Tivo and now we cant miss an episode. Its one of the best shows on cable right now. And the surgery scenes arent that bad, and they are few and far between, maybe 2 surgery scenes an episode.

MattGunn

Auditioning
well, if it only has 2 or so surgery scenes an episode, well thats nothing. i was thinking they did it for about half the show, and that they showed a lot of gross aftermath of the surgeries and stuff like that.

hmm, maybe i'll try it out. my girlfriend really wants to see it, and she loves the graphic blood stuff... so it'll be a good xmas present for her (then i can watch it with her. hehe)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
This is one I am looking forward to owning on dvd. My husband and I just finished season 1 a few days ago and are getting antsy for season 2 to come out on dvd....

Mike Slade

Second Unit
While I was watching Rescue Me this season, I started seeing the previews for Nip/Tuck and they got me interested. Just finished up season 1, pretty good stuff. Any word on when Season 2 might be out?

Joel C

Screenwriter
Dunno, maybe closer to the premiere of S3, sometime in late 2005 or early 2006 it seems. For those of you who haven't seen it, Season 2 eclipses S1 in every respect, adding some of that emotional depth and taking the soapy elements to the next level. I loved it.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Personally, I wouldn't recommend a blind purchase. I feel that the show is a bit overpraised and that some of its appeal is that it pushes the boundaries of commercial basic cable. However, as you can see, many people disagree with me. My advice would be to watch a couple of episodes during their regular broadcast. That should give you a pretty good idea as to whether or not it's your cup of tea. :)

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
In my opinion, Nip/Tuck is a disgrace to the airwaves. All it is is pure shock value, simply. Sexual content and graphic surgery scenes that are interminable pollute this show--which sometimes airs dangerously close to the family hour. I fear for the sinking standards of American television. Here's my personal review, in a bit more detail...

The latest target of the Parents Television Council and with VERY good reason. I gave this show a shot and managed to stomach an entire episode, and I just barely made it. I was so happy to return to something innocent, clever, imaginative and brilliant (like "Star Trek: Voyager," "Frasier," or "Pokemon") that you just cannot imagine. But, let me explain why. Nip/Tuck is another example of how the FX station is falling into the sewer pits. Like the amoral 'The Shield', 'Nip/Tuck' is a cess pool of graphic violence, profanity, crass sexual content, rude attitudes, pessimsim and bad drama. Not to mention terrible acting and insanely-dark plots. The show features lots of surgery scenes, with what seems like gallons of blood. Certainly not something you want to watch while eating. Profanity is everywhere, with everything but the FCC-word (well, they won't stop it, now will they?) present. The plots feature such things as the mother (!!!!) in a family mutilating and animal and a son circumcizing himself. I wanted to throw up all over my television screen. And, to make things even worse, the dad's there, not to punish his son, but to tell him how to stimulate the opposite gender during sex! This is outrageous. The other adult characters are equally amoral, having sex with everyone and killing without mercy. The acting is low-key (read: terrible) and the camera work is shaky. There is no optimism or creativity on this show, just one shock-factor scene after another! FX has lost its mind, and the boundaries of good taste have suffered for its insanity.

NolanJ

Second Unit
I don't like being told what is moral and isn't.

Last I checked the show started at 10 PM, which is when children should be in bed, and those adults who are interested in viewing such an excellent show can decide for themselves if it's "trash" or not.

John McM

Second Unit

thank you!!!! I thought Nip/Tuck got a little sensational this season, but surprise, it appeals to an audience who wants their television a little more mature and biting than Hilary Duff and Raven Symone.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D

I second that. no one should decide for me what is appropriate or not. I personally really liked the show.
The show may have a lot of shock value, but thats what sells. and besides, Im sure a lot of these shocking incidents actually happened in real life somewhere sometime to someone. Truth is stranger than fiction. Personally I find daytime talk shows more offensive. Which is why I change the channel and dont complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks