What's new

Nip/Tuck Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
When Julia was talking to her "dead" mom on the table, I could see the blanket rising and falling as the actress (was it Vanessa Redgrave or a double?) was breathing, and at first I thought it was a typical "goof", or real live problem in all such "play dead" situations, but as it dragged on, I started thinking, could the body not be dead? Sure enough, she wasn't; but I didn't see the angle that she wasn't really Julia's mom though, given that Christian had identified her from a birthmark in an intimate area. What were the odds of that, really, another woman of similar age, build, race/hair colour etc, with a similar birthmark in the same place?

Helluvan episode, if you ask me, either way, both for exploring Julia's demons re: her mother, as well as Sean's admission that he's in effect been "hiding" or "running" from his true feelings all these years and his recognition that he's not as strong as he thought he was, or as strong as Julia for that matter.

Will this spur Julia to go back to med school?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Now Julia has to wonder who the heck she suffocated.

This episode I thought was played so much better then ER's plane crash. Instead of it being some wonderous "we're great doctors" there was a lot of self doubt, panic, and real work. Good stuff.

I think Julia also got a lot of respect for Sean out of it, as well as respect for herself. I thought the opening sequence between her and the other daughter of a plane survivor, in which the other woman told her how important it was to have someone always "pump you up" and then Sean go into his "You would be the better doctor" and similar "pump up" that he has done for her in the past helps remind Julia that he's generally "the good guy" I don't see a quick resolution, or them getting back together, but I think it helps their relationship.

Also good not to see punk Matt; I am so looking forward to him getting the crap kicked out of him at some later point for his faux nazi garbage ;)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Not sure that is the real issue. When she though the woman was her mother, she was happy to suffocate her, and I don't think the sentiment behind it was necessarily euthanasia. Now that it turns out her mother is alive and kicking, she's got to wonder, does she dislike her mother so much that she's able to murder her?

Nice analysis on Julia and Sean being her supporter; I didn't catch that wrinkle.

On a separate note, interesting to see Christian still haunted by Kimber. It does raise the question as to whether the vision of Kimber being held at knife point and being forced to write the "Dear John" letter to Christian was third-party depiction of an actual event, or a "fantasy" in Christian's mind to explain to himself some other reason (i.e. kidnap) why Kimber abandoned him, apart from the obvious "she didn't want to marry me" ego-shattering reason.

And I agree, nice NOT to see Matt. Every time he has appeared recently, I just want to smack his punk-ass. I am really looking forward to seeing him get his comeuppance. Perhaps he gets badly bashed up by other bigots (for his past relationship with a transexual), and Sean -- and Christian! -- refuse to help him with necessary plastic surgery to fix his face?

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Another thought about the Carver:

I also think it is Liz. She was not at the wedding. Despite all the harassment that goes on, Christian would have invited her, if for no other reason than to show off all the money he was blowing on the wedding and reception. She is my first pick, although part of me thinks it could be Bobolit.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Tuesdays episode made me suspect that Julia could be the Carver. She was pretty good with that knife and she did smother that lady. I dont think it was her Mother though. There seems to be quite a bit of debate on other boards as to whether it was Julia's Mom or not on the table. I think she smothered the wrong lady.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'm going with the Julia theory as well. There's tons of psychological reasons why it would make sense as far as Sean and Christian being victims. And of course, spiteful revenge against the woman who was going to marry the only man you've truly loved.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

Mikel,

I'm wondering if you missed the end of the episode. Julia sees her mother at the end in her apartment, unless it was a hallucination.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I think Julia seeing her mother in her apartment at the end of the show was a hallucination, it at least better be b/c it would be very stupid if that woman just happened to be same build, height, same birth mark etc as her mother.

I can't see the Carver being Julia or Kimber, kimber is into vain beauty, the carver is not. Julia, would be just too ridiculous, wouldn't make sense at all, especially cutting up other people. I think the Carver is probably some character from Season 1 or 2 that we don't remember.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
12/13/05

Love the final shot on the nativity scene - The rain always brings forth the truth.

I fear Julia's decision to keep the baby will be used for even more pathos and tragedy for next week's 2-hour finale.

The petrified baby subplot was really creepy, as in, how could someone go for 17 years and not know it was there?

Matt finally extricates himself from Ariel and her wacko family, well, her father is the one that did the banishment, but still, he's much better off. Was it wrong to laugh at Ariel's self-inflicted facial burns? I laughed anyway.

Joel C

Screenwriter
The medical plots are always based on real cases/concept, so I'd guess the petrified baby thing is possible.... but it was very weird. Good episode.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
For the carver... what about the doctor who was doing th transgender surgeries.....,.... Just a thought

What a great episode.... For once, towards the end thou, I didn't want to rip matt's head off.......

The season finale looks great!@! I cannot wait to see it............

R~

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
The petrified baby IS possible. The person I was watching it with figured it out before they did. He said, do a search for calcified baby and tons came up.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
To revisit the comment from the plane crash episode, is Julia'smother dead or not? Personally I don't take Julia seeing her at the end as a hallucination. Just curious to see what everyone else thinks.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Everything I have read says she was alive. She got home and her Mom was alive and had not taken that flight.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I think Julia's mother is alive. . .I felt that was the entire point of that ending -- that Julia is stunned to realize she suffocated someone else in error.

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I also think she is really alive. However, I think the real trauma for her is not that she suffocated someone else, but that she thought all of these issues dealing with her mother were behind her now but will have to be dealt with again.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I have a new theory on the Carver...

Could it be the plastic surgeon Dr. Merril Bobolit from seasons 1 and 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks