nioses in dvd audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt McD, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Matt McD

Matt McD Auditioning

I have a pioneer dv-355 dvd player going in to a pioneer vsx-d510 reciver using a fiberoptic cable. When I play movies I get a low bass "ddddd ddd ddd" noise when ever anyone talks. It only happens on the digital and when I switch the signal to analog it stops. What could it be? Bad toslink cable? Bad digital out? the reciver? I dont know, Please help me.

Thanks Matt

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Matt, I suppose the fault could lie in any of the places you mentioned. The first thing to do is change digital cables. Hopefully that's all it is, as changing out the cables is easy. If that doesn't work, try a different digital input on your receiver. Finally, does your DVD player have a coaxial digital output? If so, try that.

3. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

4. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

It could also be a bad subwoofer, that's only getting signal when the DD stream is present, coupled with an abnormally high crossover. Use one of the DSP modes on your processor to make sure the subwoofer is active on some other signal source, and see how it sounds...

(I agree with Aaron that the problem is most likely in the DD decoder, but the subwoofer is easy to diagnose and rule out, so why not?)

Me

5. Matt McD

Matt McD Auditioning

KeithH the dvd player does have a digital coax out I tried this to the reciver but had the same problem.

TimTurtino I do not have a sub hooked up at the moment. My front left and right are set to large and the rest small crossed at 100hz the lowest the reciver will go.

AaronBatiuk I will try and borrow a friends dvd player to hook up to my reciver and see if it does the same thing.

Thank you for your help

6. Matt McD

Matt McD Auditioning

I went to the store where I bought the reciver from and gave them a listen. We tried a few different dvd players and disks and the noise was there in all of them. So they sent it off for repair saying it was proberly the DD prosesor. So thanks all for your help.