Nintendo's "Megaton" Announcement - Revealed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Flynn, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

http://spong.com/index.asp?art=4105
    I usually hate rumors, but this sounded slightly interesting & important, so I figured I'd post about it.
    I don't know the validity of this claim, or the reputation of the site. So take it all with a grain of salt.
    I hope it's not true, but stranger things have happened recently so...

2. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

Spong had reported last week that the Megaton announcement was denied by Nintendo Europe, read it here.
    Only time will tell if either one of the rumors is true. Although, if Nintendo did buy Capcom, that would pretty much guarantee that we would never see a Steel Battalion online [​IMG]

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

They say that Capcom has not announced anything for either the PS2 and Xbox but honestly Capcom has in fact done so. They still have Devil May Cry 2 (which has a release next month), Read Dead Revolver for the PS2 and the recently announced Chaos Legion for that same console.
    You can take a look at previews here:
    Choas Legion
    Devil May Cry 2
    Read Dead Revolver
    I do believe that Auto Modellista has already been released in Japan and its sequel was announced not long ago by Capcom. I'd hardly call that abandonded.
    With that, I can't say this would suprise me if it happened and lord knows I can't outright refute it as a possiblity. Capcom has been very buddy buddy with Nintendo lately and this generation you can't really tell whats real and whats not.
    The stream of announced games by Capcom for other consoles (especially DMC2 which is so close to release) however just makes me take a more wait and see attitude.
    The Rare-MS situation-"rumor" you could say had SOME wieght. Rare had not announced a game for the GC (besides Kameo which was not seen again for almost 6 months) in a good long while. You didn't hear a peep out of them at all for anything besides showing off Starfox Adventures too.
    This could happen but I guess we'll have to wait for the end of the month to know if its really true.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Highly unlikely, but I wouldn't be THAT surprised.

5. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Very doubtful if you ask me, but it would certainly not be a shock.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Computer and Video Games web site also has a topic on this. There wording makes it a little more reputable. But still, I have mixed feelings on whether or not I think this will happen.

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Well, Nintendo did give up Rare and I think Silicon Knights is making a non-GCN game now, so they could have been saving money for a bigger acquisition.

9. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

all that guy did was try to get some hits for his site, that sounds very unlikely...the xbox still needs to release it's online fighters....and they make all of there $$$ with sales on ps2, at least with the onimusha/dmc(especially japan)

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Maybe Nintendo would use Capcom as a sort of gateway to other companies, like how MS is licensing X-Box games to be ported to GBA? They could buy Capcom, let them make games for PS2 and X-Box, then reap the profits from those games. At the same time, they could get Capcom to make some of their games, like they did with the Oracle Zelda games.

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I just realized that "Megaton" is the name of the Zelda series hammer (Megaton Hammer). Maybe this has some relation to the announcement?