Nintendogs

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JamesED, Aug 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. JamesED

JamesED Second Unit

I didn't see another thread. I guess I'll be the first to admit playing it. I'm 22, and playing with a virtual toy poodle puppy. [​IMG]

I nabbed it for $15 at Best Buy. (-5 coupon, $5 gift card, and 2nd card since the computer screwed up and asked him to scan in another).

2. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

It looks interesting. What exactly can you do? Which version did you get?

3. JamesED

JamesED Second Unit

I've just started into it. You can train your puppy tricks and then enter different types of competitions. The tricks use the microphone for voice commands. It all works pretty well. I can't give a better synopsis til I play it more.

I got the Lab & Friends copy. Each copy has 6 dogs. This one also included the Toy Poodle and the Mini Schnauzer. Those 3 dogs I've all owned, so this copy was the obvious choice for me.

If someone else has another version and you wifi connect to them in a puppy visit, it unlocks the visiting puppy's breed in your copy. Nintendo is going for a puppy/ds ownership turning into a conversation opener.

4. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

I'm going on 30 and have been playing with my Siberian Husky puppy, "Wolfie", since Tuesday (Dachshund & Friends version). Nintendogs is just pure fun.

5. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Here's a over-60 gamer having a blast with my Miniature Pinscher from the Lab,etc. version of Nintendogs. This is an extremely inventive use of a handheld. Highly recommended as a respite from the usual fare.

[soapbox]

Incidently, I went with a PSP when it first came out and still use it (Lumines Rocks and the PSP keeps getting better and more functional) but I picked up a DS after the price drop (and a 10% discount from Gamespot/EB). I have to say that even though the PSP is technically superior in graphics and other functions I really am glad I decided to get a DS as well.

In this veteran gamer's opinion, the DS is just more fun! Nintendogs is different, Meteos is as addictive as Lumines (no surprise here because of its roots) and SuperMario64 DS brings back memories and a few new twists. And I haven't even gotten into Advance Wars Dual Strike yet with lots more to come. If your wallet permits it, there is a place for both systems (PSP and DS) in your hands.

[/soapbox]

6. JamesED

JamesED Second Unit

I'll attest to the addictiveness of Meteos. I had a 40 game face off with a fellow DS owner last night. ("Just one more round.")

I'm also working on Advance Wars DS, it's been a pretty handheld heavy week for me. Absolutely loving it. I don't have a PSP, but I'm really curious about Lumines.

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

What was the name of that little keychain game where you raised this little "thing"? Came from Japan. This sounds like a more modern iteration.

8. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

glad to hear people are having fun with Nintendogs .My 7yo D wants this , is the gameplay easy enough for her?

9. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Tamagotchi?

10. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Compelling and original. Gotta give Nintendo props yet again. [​IMG]

11. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I would say that it would be fine for a seven year old, especially if someone a bit older can guide her through the learning phase a bit. I say this because some of the initial tutorial information involves a bit of reading comprehension and it might depend on your daughter's reading level. My guess is that it shouldn't be a problem.

By coincidence, I'm thinking of getting my 8 year Granddaughter a DS and a Nintendog for her 9th birthday next month since I think it's a great fit. Initially I was a bit concerned about possible reading issues but then realized that (a)kids are smarter than we give them credit for and (b)her parents would be able to walk her through any rough spots as she gets up to speed. And the gameplay is no problem at all for a 7yr old and above. AS in most things, youngsters will quickly run rings around us oldsters!

I especially like the fact that Nintendo has taken the trouble to point out that these are electronic pets and that real pets require a lot more personal attention. Lots of lessons there for the humane treatment of real animals for impressionable youngsters (and oldsters!).

12. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

James,

It is my understanding that Lumines and Meteos come from the same developer(s) so if you are addicted to Meteos you probably would also be attracted to Lumines. Both games have great graphics and puzzle action and have their own unique flavor. I highly recommend both of them.

I know people who actually purchased the PSP for Lumines alone and I now understand why the same thing could be said for a Meteos/DS alliance. There are some things that we purchase and then they gather dust on the shelves. But Lumines and Meteos go a long way toward preventing the PSP and the DS from becoming expensive paperweights for fans of the genre, if you get my drift.

And if you are a "Meteosholic" you know what I'm saying.

[​IMG]

13. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Not really interested in Nintendogs myself, but it sounds like a great idea. Actually, this is one of the few games I can think of that I really would rather have worked on than played (but given my AI research background, that's not really surprising). Sounds like a great use of the DS!

On the other hand, Advance Wars is really tempting the hell out of me right now. I have about 15 unfinished console games, and I still might go and buy a DS this week for Advance Wars (and meteos). Any risks with buying a DS from Ebay? What's the wear and tear like on these things?

14. JamesED

JamesED Second Unit

Now you have me all ancy to try out Lumines.

15. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

Don't think twice about it, if you enjoyed the first 2 "Advance Wars" games for the GBA, buy Advance Wars: Dual Strike. It will own you!!!

I picked it up last week when I got Nintendogs. It was the game that sold the DS to me, when it was first announced last October. That same day, I pre-ordered my DS. 'Advance Wars: DS' is definitely a reason to own a DS.

16. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

It's true, I have no willpower. Just picked up a DS bundle on Ebay to save a few bucks. Basically got the DS plus 3 games (Mario, Tiger Woods and Sprung) for $150. Essentially the same price as the DS new, so 3 free games aren't bad really. I can trade in what sucks (I have a feeling that Sprung will fall into this category, but it could be good for a laugh) at Blockbuster for credit, so it's all good.

Picking up Advance wars and Meteos tonight in anticipation of the DSs arrival. I don't think I can really bring myself to pick up Nintendogs. As it is, here's the list of games that look interesting shipping this year (at least in theory):

Lunar: Dragon Song
    Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    Trauma Center:Under the Knife
    Phoenix Wright:Ace Attorney
    A boy and his Blob
    Metroid Prime Pinball
    Mario Kart DS
    Mario & Luigi 2
    Super Mario Bros DS
    Katamari Damacy

I suppose that this is a good time to buy!

17. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

That's a prerequisite for posting here, Chris!

Besides lacking willpower, I predict you soon will be lacking sleep.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. JamesED

JamesED Second Unit

Early reports going around say 250,000 copies of the three versions combined were sold last week.

19. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

That's the one!

20. Ryan*D

Ryan*D Agent

I got that game for my girlfriend.
    It's kind of cool. The dog really interacts with you.
    Fun game