What's new

Nintendo Wii..... (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

We're on the same page here, Bryan. Certain games cry out for maximum graphics and audio potential. And the faster reaction times of faster processors as well as the greater dimensionality of surround sound are integral to playing the game, countering opponents' moves and even knowing where the bad guys are coming from. However, I was surprised with a title or two. I own Madden '07 on both the PS3 and the Wii (forced bundles) and even though it looks and sounds nicer on the PS3 (and on the 360 as well - I've downloaded the demo) there is no question that the Wii controls give this game a dimension lacking in both of the Überconsoles. With WiiMadden you are in the game. With Madden on the other consoles you are more of a spectator even with the great camera angles, etc. The lack of state of the art graphics and sound is more than compensated for by the fact that the motion of your body using WiiMadden makes you a participant much more than I would ever have thought possible. After a short time you actually feel like you need a time out. ;)

True gamers are not going to settle for the Wii as their only gaming console (although I suspect that a lot more families will get into gaming as families thanks to the Wii rather than because of any other console). However, your statement that the Wii is a perfect complement to a 360 and/or a PS3 is right on the mark, in my opinion.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

Jeffrey,

I ran across this earlier tonight: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155880 KINAMAX USB 2.0 to RJ45 Fast Ethernet 10/100 Base-T Network Adapter is compatible with the Wii and costs $19.99 at Newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812203024

I haven't tried this myself, but if it's on the Internet it must be true. :)

I have a few questions for everyone:

1. What is the situation with Wii availability? Should I contact my local game store and put myself on a waiting list? When will more Wiis be available?

2. What's the deal with SD cards? Do I have to use a Wii branded SD card or will any SD card do? What are the minimum and maximum capacities supported by the console?

3. Is there any known way to connect the Wii to a VGA monitor? I understand the Wii outputs 480p which is what the Dreamcast does, and I love the way the DC looks on a VGA monitor vs. a TV screen.

Many thanks

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yes. The only option I know of to do this is through the VDigi VD-Z3 transcoder, but as far as I know, you have to buy it direct from VDigi and they're out of stock right now. It sells for $60 + shipping, and it has gotten great reviews.

VDigi's website

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Picked up a Wii this afternoon at Target -- they received a few cases. I told the guy at the counter "Cool, it's my lucky day." To which he replied, "It's been a lot of peoples lucky day."

No Wii remotes or component cables though -- Went to 7 stores today for an extra remote for my wife. Classic Controller and Nunchuck at Target. I'm going to try 2 Walmarts and 2 Fred Meyers on the way home and hope I get luck(ier)

I'm really excited to play this!

Doug

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My Wii Code: 4295 2874 1881 8461

Please send me Mii's you've come across of celebs or characters from TV/film. If you add me to your address book, please let me know your Wii code and I'll do the same (since this is the only way to share stuff like messages and Mii's).

I think I'm addicted to Wii Tennis, I played over 2 hours tonight before I knew it.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
My Wii # is : 0156-0564-7584-8660 Please also send me your celeb wii's... Would love some.. Will send some back..

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm really thinking of Picking one up if I can find one. I would'nt discount COD3 on it I wonder how the immersion would be pointing the Controller like a gun.

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator
Do yourself a favor and pick up Rayman's Raving Rabbids. This has to be my favorite game on the Wii now. It is so much fun and the kids get a kick out of the rabbits.

For those without a wireless router, just thought I'd plug the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB adapter. I have internet service through Yahoo SBC DSL on my first floor, and have my Wii hooked up in my rec. room which is a floor below, and a room's worth of distance over.

Connectivity is only possible if the tower is turned on. Works great! You can find the proprietary adapter generally in the DS section in the store. It took me about 30 min. to install and about $40 to purchase.

I've been having a blast with my Wii.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

It may be cheaper in the long run just to get a wireless router or WAP for your network. For about $75 you can get a Linksys WAP, which means you have an always on connection regardless of having your PC on. Plus, you can use it with all other wireless devices so you get better bang for the buck. In my opinion it's worth the investment over the Nintendo USB you mention.

Thanks for the note, Jeff. I'll put it on the wish list a way's down. It would be nice to have the connection "always on", since that's the only way the WiiConnect 24 works properly.

On another note: Can anyone chime-in on the difference between the composite hook-up, or using the component cables and running it progressively?

The reason I ask is I'm taking delivery of a new Toshiba 42LX196 in a few weeks, and I'm debating over whether to get the component cables or not. My Wii is presently hooked up to a 25 year old CRT with the cables it came with. What kind of differences will I see with the new set?

Thanks in advance...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I just feed the Wii's composite through my VCR's front panel, and the video is more than adequate for me. The Wii's isn't all about the graphics, but more about the player interface with the console, so the component video quality "increase" would be marginal, but if you have the money to spare, it couldn't hurt.

I finally got up to 2054 for my Wii Tennis skill level ranking. What stinks is that subsequent wins against Sarah and Elisa not dominant enough will net you negative skill points even if you manage to beat them 3-1 or 3-2 games. You have to beat them 3-0 to gain skill points.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Me too...and it's especially more fun to enjoy given that it's on sale at CC this week for $29.99! :laugh:

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I noticed that too--I find that the Weather channel apparently will not update when the Wii is on AND if WiiConnect is set to standby mode (or whatever mode it is that allows WiiConnect to communicate w/ the Internet even when the Wii is off); I have to go back into the settings and switch the connection to always on. Either that, or I must have overlooked something; I know it's not my Internet settings 'cuz the Weather channel is able to pull down the latest forecasts...WHEN I configure WiiConnect to always on.

ToddS

Stunt Coordinator
The component cables made a huge difference on Zelda but not so much for Wii Sports.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

That's absolutly true. There have been many screen shots on the web and in magazines that shows the difference. They are indeed as you say MUCH better.

Games like Wii sports or the upcoming one with the packaged Wii controller likely won't matter either way, but that's because they weren't designed to. I haven't tried the Raving Rabbits game yet so I don't know. However, I would assume the more high-end titles will make the largest noticable difference by a good margin.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I also agree that the component cables are a must if you have Zelda:TP. The graphics are alot crisper and clearer than composite. I must say that even Wii Sports looks better on component. The only downside is that the "jaggies" are a bit more apparant, but I can live with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks