What's new

Nintendo Wii continues brisk sales and new titles noted (1 Viewer)

Tim Johnson

Agent
Yup, I stood in line this morning to get a Wii. Toys R Us had 33 and about 50 people showed up. Luckily I was #15 in line.

Bring on Duck Hunt, that was one of my favorite games for the NES.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

actually they are making a gun attachment. The Wii remote slides into a gun shaped shell. I'm all for it too. Bring on Duck Hunt!

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
At this rate, it may just be this console generation's biggest seller. Impressive job Nintendo.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I think Todd that at this point the Wii has to be the odds-on favorite to be the top selling system worldwide this generation. It's crushing the competition in Japan and doing very well in Europe and North America. I'm not sure it can surpass the 360's early lead in the US, so the 360 may well end up the top seller over here when all's said and done, but worldwide I think the Wii will almost certainly be the sales leader.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
With Q1 closed, the Wii dominated the competition way more then anyone expected.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39083

In the US in March:

Wii: 259,000 units
XBOX 360: 190,000 units
PS3: 130,000 Units

The Wii's nearly 2:1 advantage over PS3 is beginning to become incredibly meaningful. The Wii has now shipped and sold through more then a million units, dwarfing Sony and at current rate making a good run at XBOX. What does that really mean? It means more game developers start to pay attention to Wii. Developers aren't stupid, they develop titles that will SELL first, and if you have a larger audience, then you get more potential customers.

Nintendo is also expecting a few big announcements on the Virtual Console side this month. (Sega Saturn & NeoGeo Titles, both of which are expected to go for around 1000 points, about $10)

hgerman

Grip
Real Name
Hans
Wow, I was thought the PS3 was going to be the big winner of the console wars. Wow.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I expected PS3 to kick everyones ass in the console wars as well. Its library is lacking, I have no games for my PS3, it sits on the shelf, unused. When GTAIV, RE5, and GT5 come out, this will change right away. My Wii gets plenty of use, and I haven't even bought Paper Mario yet, which I hear is great.

CJ

Brad M

Second Unit
I'm late to the game but since they are not easy to find, I'm not alone.

I've been eyeing the Wii but was not ready to commit until I played a friends. I have two kids and after playing for a couple of hours I have got to have one in my home. I didn't know how out of shape I was until I did the boxing. I also had not played Super Mario Bros. in years and I jumped right back in. I made it all the way with only 3 or 4 men! I've got a nice bonus coming in June and at this point it's already spent on a Wii.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's the wife's thing too. She messaged me from home today, I have the boys out visiting grandparents to ask me a question on Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. It reminds both of us of Middle/High school. It's amazing how much fun the damn thing is and how much time the kids & us spend on it.

But Paper Mario is great for exactly that reason... it reminds me so much of the original NES mario. It has the same zany dialog, platformer methods. It's a bit like Super Mario 3, but the way they did it just kills me.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
2007 Lineup from Nintendo:

* Donkey Kong Taru Jet Race (DK Jet or DK Bongo Blast, US) - June 28, 2007
* Wii Health Pack -- 2007
* Disaster: Day of Crisis - 2007
* Mario Party 8 - 2007
* Project H.A.M.M.E.R. - 2007
* Wii Music - 2007
* Super Mario Galaxy - 2007
* Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 2007
* Battalion Wars II - 2007
* Forever Blue - 2007
* Mario Strikers Charged - 2007
* Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 2007
* Mario and Sonic at the Olympics - 2007

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Apparently the Wii Health Pack will be a cross between Big Brain Academy and Wii Sports.. it will keep track of your "health age" with activities that require you to "work out" with the Wii to succeed and give you a "health age" which you can improve :) There is some talk about calorie monitoring and other stuff.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
May sales #s out.

The Wii sold 338,000 units throughout May, which was more than both the 155,000 Xbox 360s and 82,000 PS3s sold, put together. In the handheld market, the DS shifted a whopping 423,000 units - just short of doubling the PSP 221,000 total.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
A Few days ago I was at my Local Target and happened by the video game section. There in the case I saw for the first time EVER was about 10 Wii's.

I felt like I saw a UFO or Bigfoot or something for a second. I've never ever seen a Wii actually make it to the shelf since the day it was released. Maybe they actually got a handle on the demand finally. Bet they were quickly scooped up by now. Hell, I even had a moment where I wanted to buy one, just because I was so shocked to see them. But I already have one.

Likewise, it amazes me how often I go there and see DS's all stocked up... and then all gone. That thing sells crazily.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Forgetting the game market, if you're an investor, you've got to appreciate what Nintendo is doing. Every unit they sell they make a profit on. (MS & Sony lose around $200 on each they sell) and their titles are selling like hotcakes. The DS is just a juggernaut in it's marketspace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks