Nintendo says that sales of its GameCube console are coming in we

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Peter Kim, Apr 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

EDIT: Sorry, original title was apparently too long. Should read - 'Nintendo says that sales of its GameCube console are coming in well below forecasts.'

Perhaps Camp was a little more prescient than given credit for (re: Zelda bundle discussion). Despite my hopes that N fares well in the market (I own a GC) so that it receives valuable 3rd party support, unfortunately, like in all races, someone loses.

CNET article

2. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Oh well, Wind Waker has already more than justified my purchase of the system. I really only bought it for the unbeatable first-party titles anyway.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Apparently, GCN has been doing the best in terms of sales lately, according to the multiple stories that popped up last week online.

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

If they would release a Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Devil May Cry, Maximo, Tekken, Dynasty Warriors, etc for Gamecube I would buy it over the PS2 versions for the improved controller comfyness and the fact I have 4 first party controllers (although the Dpad sucks for fighting games). GC only seems to see the sucky PS2 game ports or Dreamcast rehashes (I still have my DC!!). The only 3rd party game I have now for GC is Godzilla Melee. I will probably pick up Soul Calibur 2 and FF Chronicles when they arrive here.

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Nintendo has said they won't abandon console games until they go out of business. They just need to start making more games more often. 5 a year is not good enough, they need a monthly game and superior ports.

8. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

10. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

It's N64 all over again, but this time it's happening at a quicker pace.

I totally agree with Dave. It's ridiculous to say you are going to stick one business plan until have to close up shop. Imagaine what would have happen to Sega if they followed that approach...

11. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Could it also just be just the state of gaming these days? When the NES was out I had about 40 games. The SNES I had in the 30's almost 40 if I remember correctly. With these later systems I have a PS2 and a Gamecube, but I maybe have 5 games or so for each system. Do kids these days have huge video game collections like it seemed everyone did 15 or so years ago? When the NES was out what competition was there? I don't remember there being any. The Sega Master System wasn't very competitive. Then the SNES and Genesis. Genesis held its own but the SNES just rocked. Now there are 3 big players, you gotta think that they are all stealing sales from each other now that they are all out and running.

13. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

Well, we did all try to tell you... that they are firmly in 3rd place. Which like I said before, once a company puts out a credible effort in the portable market the big N will be in a Lot of trouble. [​IMG]

14. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

there is a reason why they don't have many 3rd parties, their 3rd party licensing system sucks and is VERY expensive compared to MS and Sony.

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Kelley hit it on the nose

Why are 80% of GBA titles 16-bit rehashes? Because it's impossible to make money on all but the bestselling GBA titles.

I don't know what they charge to publish on Cube, but I bet Sony and XBox at least give a far better ROI

Nintendo has no one to blame but themselves for their current problems. Horrible controllers(yes I know some of you people like their never-ending quest to make the dpad unuseable) bad marketing, ignoring online play, it's killing them.

FAO Schwartz was clearing GCs out on their website abouta month ago for $69!

They'd better hope Yamauchi dies before it's time for SuperGameCube so they can quit before they're behind again.
    A shame really, I'd buy a GC if only SonicTeam would make a new Samba de Amigo game.

16. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

17. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Although I feel a bit vindicated, this news still sucks.

18. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

19. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

20. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

It truly saddens me to see the writing on the wall of Nintendo leaving the console market supposedly. THe rumors have been around for months now.
    No matter what happens, I will be by them until the end. Why? Because ALL of my greatest memories playing games are from a Nintendo system. I still say they have the best quality control of all the gamemakers. Not only in the software but in the hardware.
    They have made some mistakes over the years, but damn do I forget about it once a new game by them comes out.
    If they leave the hardware market, I would like them to go to MS almost exclusively, almost like a back stab to sony for sony backstabbing them years ago(remember, you only have a playstation because nintendo got chicken and dropped the SNES CD ROM). It would be odd to see Mario on another system, but if thats what it takes to keep Mario, Zelda and others coming, then bring it on.