Nintendo says consumers not ready for online gaming

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Michael St. Clair, Jul 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Michael St. Clair

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content...e=new&aid=1881

2. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Sounds like the Iraqi Information Minister got a job at Nintendo.

3. Mario_Y

Mario_Y Stunt Coordinator

Man, if they don't have nothing to say, they shouldn't say a damn thing, huh...??[​IMG]

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Just like with "cartidges provide a superior gaming experience" they hope if they keep saying it it'll become true

5. Michael St. Clair

Nintendo is about to recycle, for the third and fourth time each, two games I enjoy a lot. Mario Golf, and F-Zero.

I'd buy them both. But at this point, the idea of buying a sport or racing title that I can't play online is unattractive.

I'm genuinely disappointed.

6. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

7. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

However, cartidges are limited in capacity enough in the home market by sheer manufacturing costs to cause them to not be the preferable medium

10. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

11. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

12. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

13. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Or, in other words, we don't have anything worth going online for in the near future so no one is ready for online gaming! Sheesh.

14. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

15. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

I'm not going to disagree carts were part of N64 losing that round, but I think there were other factors as well.

Back on topic... I'm thinking Nintendo is taking a wait and see attitude to see who's online strategy succeeds.

Mike D.

16. Michael St. Clair

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Am I the only one who thinks there's nothing wrong with their strategy? They've said before that they don't want to jump into online gaming because it's not that profitable yet. MS is doing it because they can, and they're getting hit REALLY hard with the X-Box. Sony is doing it slow and steady without jumping in too fast, either, except they're making bigger investments and taking more risks.

Nintendo is making online-enabled games right now, that was said a while ago. They're just not going to do anything with them until they formulate a strategy that will make them money.

And if they keep delivering good offline games, then what's wrong with that?

18. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

Nintendo's position regarding online gaming has always been that if they can't make money on it, they won't do it. This seems to be their view on almost everything, as in not selling their consoles as loss leaders, choosing proprietary media to combat piracy, etc. I read a lot of posts from people who liked the Live service well enough at $50 a year, but were prepared to drop it if it were priced higher. Like with Sega's PSO, I think developers are free to create online games for the GameCube, although nobody else has yet done so. Xbox Live *might* be a money-maker for MS (does anyone know?), but I imagine it's just another write-off to gain a toehold with gamers. Haven't most of the recent subscription-based games been flops (Everquest for PS2, Planetside, Sims Online)? EA seems to be edging towards a subscription to play (some or all of) their online games. Is HSN a part of the Live service, or is it covered under a separate fee? I don't imagine that MS or Sony are actually making money from online gaming, so how is it a bad move on Nintendo's part not to join them in the great money giveaway? As an online console gamer, I'm disappointed that Nintendo doesn't provide this service, but I don't see it as a particularly bad decision.

For some reason, I'm now seeing the GC broadband adapter everywhere, I picked mine up at Toys R Us.

19. Jeffrey D Smith

Jeffrey D Smith Stunt Coordinator

20. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I agree with Nintendo. Online console gaming does not have a good killer app nor does it have a good model to make money yet. You don't see people saying, "I'm not gonna buy fzero cause its not online playable" or "I'm not buying mario or zelda because its not online playable".

The only people that seem to be saying online console play is great is xbox people. I've been playing online games on the PC for many many years and I think even that is not all its cracked up to be.

I'd really be curious to see how many live subscribers are still in their initial year of playing and how many of them are paying yet never even get online either because they forgot to cancel or just never bothered to cancel their subscription. Half a million out of what 13 million total xboxes is not a very large group. So you have to ask yourself what are the other 12.5 million doing if its so awesome? I feel online console gaming is still way too small of a niche market to be worthwhile and I'm glad Nintendo is not wasting to much of their time on it.