What's new

Nintendo Press conferance.. (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'm still trying to figure out when exactly the decision was made to hold Twilight Princess back for launch. I must have missed that announcement when I was moving.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
TP is being released on the GameCube and Wii consoles simultaneously. The Wii version will take advantage of the new controller.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'm very surprised to say this but after their press conference I'm more syched about the Wii than any other system. I had held off buy a Xbox360 because I thought the PS3 would be the system for me, but after watching the Nintendo presentation I just can't pass up that system. It looks like so much fun!

Shooting Link's bow with the controller and hearing the arrow leave the controller via the internal speaker and then moving into my main speakers is just too cool. I can't wait to see what the first hand impressions have to say.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
After the press conferance initial feelings wore off, I got to look at it a bit more objectivley..

Red Steele is going to be a game to buy for me, but that said, it looked like I was watching an early demo version of Doom.

The control can either be really fun and even exercise inducing, or tiring and weird. Only time will tell :).

As others have stated, I'm really dissapointed we didn't get a confirmed price point and date, but we can probably guess it's going to be 199, and sometime in november..

Where's the lightsaber game? :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo has yet to release a console for more than $200, so I'm assuming that much or less for Wii.

Also, on GameSpot they have some photos of the sensor that goes by your TV. http://www.gamespot.com/news/6150138.html

I wonder how this works. It's not like a light gun, but there's no way to tell if you're aiming at the TV or not. I'm guessing you calibrate it by pointing to opposite corners of the TV and it calculates it's size/location.

Regardless, the whole Wii package is a sexy device.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

I want to know will we see a next-generation Soul Calibur game on the Wii system--given the unusual functionality of that controller, it would be totally fun to play, that's to be sure. :emoji_thumbsup:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo announced Super Smash Bros. Brawl a few hours ago. Has lots of characters, including the Kid Icarus guy and Solid Snake.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
The Price may still be announced before the conference is out. Nintendo's making all sorts of new announcements each day, so we may still see it.

So far E3 has managed to get me hyped beyond all imagination for the Wii. my Expectations of PS3 have become (more) stale, and I look forward more and more to the innovations of the Wii and the DS both. I can't wait to see what Nintendo's gonna do next.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Best Buy has a release Date of October 11th for Twighlight Princess. Could this be the date of the WII release?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If that's the release date of Twilight Princess, then the Wii is either that day or later.

Sweet; my birthday is the following Saturday.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

That could be referring to the GameCube version. Remember, Nintendo is releasing both a GameCube and Wii version of this game, so I expect the Wii version to arrive the same time as the new console, which I expect is mid to late November 2006. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They announced both versions would be released on the same day. The Wii could be released anywhere from October to December (4th quarter).

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Here's an interesting thread on the Nintendo forums regarding the Wii demonstration at E3; it appears that the Wii consoles weren't functional, that GameCubes running on Wii development kits were actually used, as the GPU is still under development.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Yeah, I heard about this a week ago. Not really a big deal, though. It's not like this has never been done before at a trade show.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I am kind of excited about the Wii, partially for the controller that intrigues me but also because I have two smaller kids that I will want to game with and, though I love my 360, it really doesn't offer a stable of games that are great for the 8 and under set ("hey, honey, don't forget headshots are more effective...").

But I have to wonder if the Wii controller might become the Power Glove of the 21st century. It will obviously have more support than the Glove did as it ships with every system and obviously is better thought out in terms of usage but if the world was clamoring for such technology, we would have (and have had, or close to it) seen more of this earlier.

I guess it comes down to comfort and ergonomics to me, if I am using the latter correctly. For me to play games for a few hours at a time (which is hard with wee ones running around so it is usually post bed-time for me) I like to be able to assume the gamer position...leaning back in my chair with controller and arms resting on chest/stomach (for casual games) or leaning forward over my knees with my arms resting on my legs (for shooters...see headshot comment above). Wii won't allow that and, for these tired old arms, will require that I will always have my arms out and in the air. This could be cool, to be fair, but it might mean that games I would play for hours on with the 360 only get an hour on the Wii. I just wonder how many people will be clamoring for their old controllers when the novelty wears off. For example, for all the cool potential of Red Steel, it is basically a light gun game with a bit more pizazz. And while I did play some PSOne light gun games for a while, the certainly took a backseat to the other games and god only knows if a lightgun game ever was in the top 10 sellers of games. They certainly didn't burn up the Nintendo and the gun came with the system.

Just wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks