nintendo plans to market a new console in 2005-2006

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Jan 23, 2003.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I know they've said in the past that they wouldn't go third party, but I honestly think that would be a great place for them to be. They make great first party software, but seem to struggle to keep the third parties in a little more than they should. There are some great cube games, but most of them are Nintendo developed. They have some great hardware designers though, and a Nintendo/Microsoft partnership (or acquisition) would be VERY interesting.

3. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

Nintendo says things would be different if they had launched closer to the PS2, but their lack of marketing would probably killed them just the same against the PS2 hype.

And so far, the "huge-must have-Nintendo only" games haven't spiked console sales in any sustained manner.

Long term, it would make more sense for Nintendo to go 3rd party and continue making handhelds where no one's going to touch them.

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I hope not. I 'm a long time Nintendo supporter, and I'd hate to see them dissapear like Atari did.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, I don't know how long they'll own the handheld market, either - no-one will likely release another dedicated hand-held game system, but how long until PDAs, cell phones, and MP3 players with color screens get into that price range? Heck, isn't that a big part of why Infogrames purchased Atari (a library of 15-minutes-on-the-subway-friendly games)?

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

This announcement is actually more or less a reaffirmation of what they already said a while ago. No big deal.

I think they should try to stay as a console maker. People were shocked with Sega's announcement, even though they had two horrible failures in a row, but Nintendo was able to get some genre-defining, classic titles on the N64, and they seem to be doing something close with the GameCube, regardless of whether they're first party games or not.

What they need to do is release a console at the right time with a competitive launch list around 2005/6.

7. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Here's my favorite quote from another part of the statement.

"When we withdraw from the home game console, that's when we withdraw from the video game business," Iwata said.

We all knew they wouldn't pack it in. It's just great to hear the president of the company let everyone know that they're around for the long haul.

Glen

8. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

Nintendo morphing themselves into a Japanese EA? (Insert vomit sound effect here) Just imagine how mediocre a multi-platform Zelda would be. Or better yet, the MS marketing team "suggestions" should the Big N go X-box 1st party -- "Shigeru, baby, does Mario HAVE to use a hose this time? How 'bout a shiny new axe?"

Honestly, IMHO, the biggest reason the X-box is outselling the cube is that it seems to handle PS2 ports better. That's just an opinion, and I am a proud owner of all 3 consoles.[​IMG]

9. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

From article:

10. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Sean;

Perhaps he was referring to the release of both systems in Japan. I could be wrong on that, since I don't have the exact dates handy.

Does anyone know when the PS2 and GCN were released in Japan?

11. GlenHaag

That appears to be what he was talking about. More often than not, when Sony and Nintendo are talking about info about their consoles, they seem to be..more often than not..talk about the Japanese consoles.

PS2 launch = March 4, 2000
    Gamecube launch = September 14, 2001

Glen

12. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

To everyone suggesting that Nintendo pull out of the game console business:

1)Is the record-breaking video game market big enough to sustain 3 hardware makers? Find economic proof suggesting it's not. Keyword: SUSTAIN, as in operating without incurring significant losses.

2)Why did Sega pull out of the hardware business? Because they lost large amounts of money. Even if Nintendo is a distant second or close third place in the hardware market, would they lose money on the Gamecube? Even if shipments are down from projections (as the article states), does that mean the Gamecube venture as a whole will be operating in the red? No.

3)Would Nintendo's first party magic be there if they went multiplatform? Considering the amount of time they spend developing their blockbuster titles currently, if they had to squeeze in development on multiple consoles within the same time period, quality would need to be sacrificed to get the product out to the market. Also, historically, a majority of the premiere games (AAA, blockbuster titles) for consoles have been developed by their respective hardware manufacturers. This is because nobody else knows the details of the hardware better. Yet another reason why I think Nintendo would lose its edge developing for other consoles.

And finally, my personal opinion is that Nintendo is synonymous with video games. Playing a Nintendo game on any system but a Nintendo would be sacrilege.

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I guess CD-I wasa tool of blasphemy then [​IMG]

14. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

15. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

17. GlenHaag

18. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Nintendo's business model depends on them controlling all aspects of the hardware. The fact is, Nintendo is so profitable because they control the royalties & seemingly do their best to treat third-parties as the enemy. (argue if you want)

They are continuing to lose next-generation market share, but their profits are fairly steady.

{future man}I don't see any big changes at Nintendo until 2010. [​IMG] {/future man}

19. GlenHaag

I guess the most interesting thing to look forward to with the new console is how well they integrate the Gameboy into it.

People still love the Gameboy, and if it had great functionality built into it... such as making it a 5.8 GHz wireless controller for the next console, people might jump on board.

The one thing they really need is a huge sports exclusive to grab market share back. Get Madden to be exclusive(never happen) to the next console... and they'd sell a ton.

Glen

20. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Glen, realistic sports are also something that are counter-productive to Nintendo's business model. Nintendo depends on characters which they wholly own & create.

I've always seen the Gameboy market to be very very separate from the console market, but I do hear more people talking about using the portable at home or in conjunction with a game console. I don't get it, frankly, but maybe something interesting will come out of it...someday, but using a Gameboy as a controller? Why on earth would you want to do that?