Nintendo Outsells Competition

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David J Wang, Nov 28, 2001.

1. David J Wang

David J Wang Agent

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Well, would you look at that.

There is a thread about X-Box breaking records (only one is mentioned) but this article mentions more than just one. Hmm...

3. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    Makes sense to me. It is substantially cheaper and seems to be more available than the PS2 was or the Xbox is. Especially with he economy like it is, I think Nintendo has a definite advantage. Their track record of being a leader in this area is also a big plus in the eyes of the consumers.

Should be an interesting battle in the console game market over the next year.

-Keith

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

Those numbers do not mean squat to me. This was simply a matter of supply. The PS2 and possibly the XBox had higher demand at launch, however the GC came to the party with more toys. The GC announced they shipped a total of 740,000 units at launch whereas the XBox has been rumored at 400-500,000 units. Thus it would be news only if the GC did not outsell the XBox.

Also many analysts expect both the XBox and GC to be sold out by the end of the year. So once again, if the GC produces more units than the XBox through December, logic dictates that the GC will sell more units than the XBox this year. And of course, this result would mean absolutely nothing.

The console war is not a sprint, but a long distance race. It is a war and not a battle. When production of the XBox and GC finally outpaces demand sometime next year and shelves at retailers are full of these two consoles, then over an extended period of time we will start to get an indication of which console might win the war instead of a particular battle. Now throw PS2 into the mix, which will most likely reduce its price when both the XBox and GC units become readily available at retailers next year, and it really gets interesting.

5. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

7. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    However, Nintendo had the advantage of having the GC in production MONTHS ago. All they had to do was tweak a chip that went from "this is a Japanese console" to "this is an Amaerican console". I'd say that Nintendo had a relatively unfair advantage.

Mike

8. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Having more units definately helps, but let's not rule out other factors ...

The Gamecube is $100 cheaper than the competition (more for less comes into play these days), and for the price of the PS2 or the X-Box alone, you can get the `Cube, Luigi, and Pikmin, which parents would rather see their children play then running around gunning aliens in Halo or taking out prostitutes in Grand Theft Auto III. The Gamecube is aimed at a younger crowd, we're in a recession, and it's Christmas. To me, and this is only my opinion, Nintendo set themselves up to have a winner this year. Just going by the people who I've talked to at my job, there are far more getting their CHILDREN a Gamecube for Christmas than there are getting them an X-Box ...

Yes, I'm getting an X-Box right after I recover from Christmas. But I'm 31, with no children, and a HT setup in my apartment. I already have a PS2 and a `Cube. I feel (and again, this is my opinion) that Microsoft aimed the X-Box squarely at us, and we're outnumbered. I'm not surprised at all about the `Cube doing so well, and for the reasons listed above, it just may be the #1 selling system for Christmas ...

Freddy C.

9. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

10. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

11. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

So,is N telling the truth with these launch numbers or is it the same as the Japaneese launch number game?Not that it's any worse than the M$-EB luanch #'s game.

12. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

Look Nintendo ain't going away, and nor is MICROSOFT.

The two system are not in full competition with each other. How many children games does the xbox have? Now look at nintendo, how many adult games do they have?

Nintendo is going after people 13 and under and Xbox is going after 20 somethings with lots of toys, HDTVS, home theaters, etc. The market can survive with both systems.

I wouldn't buy my kid an xbox, I would buy him a cute cube, with decent characters, they don't need to be playing halo like Daddy.

Microsoft has not realesed any sales numbers yet.

Besides money is not made in the consoles initially its just an investment into the market.

If we wanna get into numbers, in a cunsomer study

8% of kids 20 and under wanted an xbox for christmas

7% A ps2

3% Harry potter related items and Gamecube stuff.

The demand is def there for Microsoft, they just have to push out there boxes, and they are doing a good job of it.

13. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

14. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Flames are inevitable in this type of thread. People want to justify their purchases to themselves. They dont want the system they bought to look bad for some really wierd reason. I think it makes people feel better when there system is "winning" so they can say I told you so. That is about the dumbest logic in the world IMHO.

With that said I have to commend Nintendo for the excellent sales of the Gamecube. I have to say its an awesome little system with great potential. There is nothing unfair here about these sales numbers. They got a good amount of systems out there, determined an attractive price point and consumers ate it up. Nothing unfair about that.

I knew this kind of thread would eventually pop up and I hope that the memebers of this forum are mature enough to keep this from becoming another "my system is better than yours" thread. As stated above Microsoft is not going anywhere, Nintendo is not going anywhere. Enjoy the games people!

Now that we have this news I wish Microsoft would say something about their launch figures.....

15. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Even if there is more demand for the X-Box, MS can't supply enough of them at launch and the weeks soon after as much as Nintendo can and will (they upped their numbers to 1.3 million by the end of the year). If MS doesn't supply, people will go to Nintendo.

Considering that MS launched with around 400k (which was made official by Bill gates on TV) and the GameCube launched with a higher number, I'm surprised the X-Box didn't sell out quicker. If there's only ten of a relatively popular item, it would make sense that it sell out quicker than 20 of another popular item.

All in all, there is a slightly higher demand for the GameCube. Its Nintendo, aka, the other top game company besides Sega and Sony. They have a reputation to help them, plus they have what some consumers see as a better product (size, brand name, and price are the only reasons one would prefer it over the X-Box, and sadly, the J6P of gaming looks at these as important) so it would make sense that there is more demand.

The X-Box doesn't suck. It just doesn't have that name Nintendo has.

17. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

I hope that some of you here that see this will give Nintendo a little longer after you were talking about dumping your cubes already.

18. Romier S

Romier S Producer

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Those shipments were in addition to the 400k. There were 400k units in stores on launch day.

Yes, only MS knows how they sold, but they haven't said anything, so we can assume that it wasn't ultra stellar.

20. Romier S

Romier S Producer