What's new

Nintendo NX is now Switch (Official thread) (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
For 2012, Nintendo literally stated that the losses came primarily from a weak Yen, the 3DS launch price cut, and slow software sales at the end of the Wii's life. Keep in mind that the international economy was still reeling from the recession, too. Their expenses definitely included a lot of Wii U planning and early production, but they flat out said the top 3 reasons for the huge losses and the Wii U was not part of that. You can disagree about the value of exchange rates, but you're not a financial professional with an informed opinion on that matter. Whether you agree with it or not, it's what happened, continues to happen, and will always happen when it comes to large international corporations. It's not the ONLY thing that happens, but in the post-recession economy it was a big deal.

If Nintendo sells a game in the US for the standard $60 price but the exchange rate between the USD and the Yen is not in their favor, then their revenues will change, potentially dramatically. Instead of $60 per game X 5M units sold X 120 Y per USD = 36B Yen in revenue, they might be seeing $300M X 100 Y per USD = 30B Yen. In 2012, it was nearly 75 Y to the USD, whereas right now its roughly 100 Y to the USD, peaking in 2015 at about 125 Y to the USD. That means all Japanese companies who report earnings in Yen would have made less money from US sales in 2012 and more in 2015. If Nintendo made $100M in revenue in both 2012 vs. 2015, that's the equivalent of making 7.5B Yen (2012) or 12.5B Yen (2015) (a difference of 5B Yen, which is currently about $50M). Considering their losses in previous years were on the order of hundreds of millions and included other things, the added exchange rate losses make sense.

If you look at Sony, they also had some pretty significant losses in the 2009-2014 time frame. Some of that is attributed to PS4 development and launch, but some of it is also overseas exchange rate losses. I'm not sure we can really compare with Xbox, since most of the sales for Xbox consoles, generally, is in the US so exchange rate losses aren't as important.

I never said the Wii U was a "success." I said it probably turned a profit for Nintendo. Given their history, a successful console would sell in excess of 40-50 million units over its life, at the very least, if I had to ballpark a number. So the Wii U was absolutely a failure in that regard. However, they clearly turned a profit on manufacturing costs and then continued to turn a profit from first party software sales. What number of consoles sold or software units sold would make the Wii U a profit, from your view?

Again, they've essentially broken even on manufacturing costs of the Wii U by now, probably to the point where the per-unit profit on new sales (because of decreased manufacturing and component costs today) have offset per-unit losses incurred at the beginning of the Wii U's life. Software sales, to the tune of 50M+ for 1st party releases, are actually pretty phenomenal and all of the revenue from those games goes right into Nintendo's pockets. Amiibo was driven primarily by Smash Bros. and Wii U ownership, even though it is supported on 3DS. It's hard to pin down exact numbers for game development, especially considering smaller vs. larger games and everyone being full-time Nintendo employees who may work on multiple games, but average costs are around $10-20M plus marketing for the kinds of game Nintendo makes. Let's just assume that's on the lower end and go with $20M average. Nintendo probably made about $2B in revenue from those 50M software sales. The 50M number represents about 20 games. If the revenue was distributed evenly, you're looking at over $100M in revenue per game. Do you think Nintendo spent $100M on development and marketing for all 20 games? Or do you think there's profit in there? I'd wager profit, and probably a pretty decent one at that. If we say $30M per game for development and marketing, that's $600M spent on $2.2B revenue, meaning $1.6B profit. The Wii U did not cost $1.6B to develop, so they probably turned a profit on the entire effort.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I will never underestimate Nintendo's relevancy in the video game market. They always mange to succeed no matter what.
I'm still completely baffled the Wii sold such a staggering number of units. Coincidentally it is the only game system I truly regret buying. Likewise I think the GameCube was an antiquated concept system, and underwhelming, but it still sold quite well.

N64 was a great system with many games that were still the most fun I have ever had the pleasure of playing, but marred with way too many less than average 3rd party games, and way too many disposable sport titles.
The Wii U. Great concept, and a great system overall. Dumb name for a new system created more market confusion than needed(many people thought it was just an updated version of the Wii, not a completely different system at first). And again the lack of a true online gaming presence was odd to say the least.
That being said, I don't plan on buying the NX. If the WiiU taught me anything, it is that their IP's have become boring. Played MarioKart, and Mario 3d world through once. Will never revisit them. Once was more than enough.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've been barely following the NX news. I might pick one up depending on what comes out, but I mostly want it to play JRPGS that are already available for the DS. And I never bought a DS since I have too many games to play as is haha.

I'll see how it all looks.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Morgan, we're going in circles. Like I said, let's agree to disagree rather than continue to argue something that neither of us can possibly win or convince the other of.

So let's get back to the topic of the NX, which hopefully will be unveiled shortly since October is what the industry has widely speculated will be the time when Nintendo makes the announcement.

Looking forward to seeing some real information on this system.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm 50/50 on the NX until I see it firsthand and find out what the catalog consists of. If it blows my socks off I'll sell my PS4 and buy one. Truth be told I will probably sell my PS4 anyway but a good Nintendo console would be most welcome.

laser

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matty
And cash and deposits have not increased by 1 billion since the 2011 fiscal year. Quite the opposite in fact. Cash and deposits reflect their struggles well, I feel.

Nintendo's cash and deposits:
2002: 7.2 billion USD
2003: 6.2 billion USD
2004: 6.9 billion USD
2005: 7.4 billion USD
2006: 5.3 billion USD
2007: 5.8 billion USD
2008: 9.0 billion USD
2009: 7.7 billion USD
2010: 9.5 billion USD
2011: 9.8 billion USD
2012: 5.6 billion USD
2013: 5.1 billion USD
2014: 4.7 billion USD
2015: 4.5 billion USD
2016: 5.0 billion USD

Note the drops when they've entered the next generation of hardware and how over the subsequent years, they traditionally recover that and build back up their reserves. Then note the results from the past few years and how it hasn't recovered significantly this generation. In fact, this line item only continued to decline until 2016.

I'm not sure where you got those numbers from. Mine are from the annual report PDFs, converted using the current exchange rate, as follows:

C&D, end of FY 2010 - 812,870 million yen (7.845 billion USD)
C&D, end of FY 2011 - 462,021 million yen (4.458 billion USD, 3.387 billion USD decrease)
C&D, end of FY 2015 - 570,448 million yen (5.505 billion USD, 1.047 billion USD increase)

Additionally, C&D has increased by a further 116.6 (EDIT - 105.6) million USD in the first quarter of FY 2016.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm not sure where you got those numbers from. Mine are from the annual report PDFs, converted using the current exchange rate, as follows:

C&D, end of FY 2010 - 812,870 million yen (7.845 billion USD)
C&D, end of FY 2011 - 462,021 million yen (4.458 billion USD, 3.387 billion USD decrease)
C&D, end of FY 2015 - 570,448 million yen (5.505 billion USD, 1.047 billion USD increase)

All my numbers are direct from their annual reports. Take 2010's figure, for instance...

Nintendo.jpg

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/annual1003e.pdf

I'm not sure where you're getting those numbers from, but they're not from Nintendo's annual reports on their website. I just checked all three of the figures you've contested, and mine are correct.

And there's no need to convert them since Nintendo did that work already with USD figures supplied. Inflation doesn't change what was printed at the time, and that's all I've ever portrayed that data as being. A snapshot direct from Nintendo at how much they basically had in the bank at that particular moment in time.

One could introduce inflation in the mix and adjust all this data to reflect the latest exchange rate, but what does it accomplish at the end of the day besides being a pain and opening up the possibility of introducing errors? Nintendo doesn't even seem to adjust for inflation when they show this data for the previous year for comparison purposes in these reports, so why should I?

All I've done as I've collected these in recent years and kept it updated after tiring of hearing about Nintendo's infinite bank account that could never run low, bar a possible mistake which quite possibly could be in there somewhere, is round them.

Additionally, C&D has increased by a further 116.6 million USD in the first quarter of FY 2016.

The 2016 fiscal year has already wrapped up for Nintendo. It went up half a billion, as already reflected in that data that I posted.

Nintendo is in the 2017 fiscal year now and the quarter that ended a few weeks ago was not a good one. I didn't notice what they provided for cash and deposits, but sales are down over 30% from this period a year ago and they had an operating loss of over 5 billion yen compared to profits at this point a year ago.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Just located your 2010 figure after a bit of a search.

it doesn't match mine because it isn't even from that year. What you posted was what they had at the conclusion of the 2011 fiscal year and it amounted to just shy of 9.8 billion USD at the time, per Nintendo. And that precisely matches what I supplied for the 2011 fiscal year.

I don't know about the other two, but I've already checked and I'm correct. I suspect you also somehow pulled those from the wrong years as well.

Last edited:

laser

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matty
Just located your 2010 figure after a bit of a search.

it doesn't match mine because it isn't even from that year. What you posted was what they had at the conclusion of the 2011 fiscal year and it amounted to just shy of 9.8 billion USD at the time, per Nintendo. And that precisely matches what I supplied for the 2011 fiscal year.

I don't know about the other two, but I've already checked and I'm correct. I suspect you also somehow pulled those from the wrong years as well.

The numbers I quoted above are from the FY 2010 (ended March 2011), FY 2011 (ended March 2012), and FY 2015 (ended March 2016) reports respectively:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/2010.html
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/2011.html
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/index.html

The latter link also contains the earnings for the first quarter of FY 2016, that being April-May-June of this calendar year.

I don't know how you can be sure that the quarter which just ended a week ago was not a good one, as that report doesn't come out until the 26th.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Once again, all my data has came direct from their annual reports.

I've been quoting the exact figures that Nintendo has provided in each year's annual report for the "Cash and deposits" line in their balance sheet. I'm not even doing any currency exchange of my own to provide USD figures since Nintendo provides that data.

I even took a screenshot of one, circled it in red for you, and linked you to the annual report that it was taken from in order to prove it. Yet you're still disagreeing about it. Just exactly what's the issue now, since I just don't get it?

And to reiterate this, their 2016 fiscal year is already finished and has been for months. Here's their annual report that was released quite a while ago for you to look at. So we hardly need to discuss their quarter 1 results of the 2016 fiscal year since we have results for the full 12 months already available.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/annual1603e.pdf

The recently released results were for the 1st quarter of their 2017 fiscal year. That quarter ended on June 30th, which was over three months ago, and it has been over two months since the results were released to the public. As for it not being a good one, you interpret the facts as you see fit. To me, such a sales decline and losses can only be taken one way.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/27/nint...ss-as-investors-assess-pokemon-go-impact.html

The good news is that the 3DS/Wii U era is in its final days and brighter days should hopefully lay ahead if the NX does what Nintendo surely has planned for it. Personally, I think they'll have a hit on their hands since they've had plenty of time to figure out why they've struggled.

Edit: I think I see where at least some of the mix up is happening, and it's in part Nintendo's fault.

Ignore what you're seeing at the top of your links. Nintendo's fiscal year ends in March of the calendar year it's labeled as. That's why the 2016 annual report is already out and why the press is referring to their current fiscal year as 2017. Or alternatively if you'd prefer this other way, push back the labeling on all of my statistics by a year so that the 2016 data I've listed is actually 2015 and so on, if you'd prefer.

I do not know why these earnings reports are claiming the opposite, which is that each fiscal year ends in March of the following calendar year. But regardless of how you want to label each fiscal year, it still doesn't change a single thing about the data that I posted, which is taken direct from their annual reports.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Here's a format that's unambiguous, since there's otherwise a lack of consistency with Nintendo and the media on how their fiscal year's are labeled...

Nintendo's cash and deposits:
Fiscal Year from April 1, 2001 to March 31, 2002: 7.2 billion USD
Fiscal Year from April 1, 2002 to March 31, 2003: 6.2 billion USD
Fiscal Year from April 1, 2003 to March 31, 2004: 6.9 billion USD
Fiscal Year from April 1, 2004 to March 31, 2005: 7.4 billion USD
Fiscal Year from April 1, 2005 to March 31, 2006: 5.3 billion USD
Fiscal Year from April 1, 2006 to March 31, 2007: 5.8 billion USD
Fiscal Year from April 1, 2007 to March 31, 2008: 9.0 billion USD
Fiscal Year from April 1, 2008 to March 31, 2009: 7.7 billion USD
Fiscal Year from April 1, 2009 to March 31, 2010: 9.5 billion USD
Fiscal Year from April 1, 2010 to March 31, 2011: 9.8 billion USD
Fiscal Year from April 1, 2011 to March 31, 2012: 5.6 billion USD
Fiscal Year from April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2013: 5.1 billion USD
Fiscal Year from April 1, 2013 to March 31, 2014: 4.7 billion USD
Fiscal Year from April 1, 2014 to March 31, 2015: 4.5 billion USD
Fiscal Year from April 1, 2015 to March 31, 2016: 5.0 billion USD

And just to reiterate, this is where each year's data was taken from.

I've been quoting the exact figures that Nintendo has provided in each year's annual report for the "Cash and deposits" line in their balance sheet. I'm not even doing any currency exchange to provide USD figures since Nintendo provides that data.

Are we on the same page now? :)

Last edited:

laser

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matty
Ok, I found the contradiction. I wasn't aware that the US and Canada use different fiscal year alignments. The US year ends September 30th, and is labeled as the year that it ends. Both Canada and Japan end March 31st, and are labeled as the year it begins. I live in Canada, and have never read any other company's financial statements in depth aside from Nintendo's (of which I own a small amount of stock).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_year

Still, it's misleading to use the unadjusted US dollar figures to chart their C&D history, as the exchange rate has fluctuated wildly in the past 5 years:

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=JPY&view=5Y

Nintendo themselves don't put much emphasis on the USD figures, as they're in the annual long form state-of-the-company reports, but not the simplified financial-only reports (hence why I did my own conversions, as the simplified reports contain all of the most relevant information in an easier to ingest format).

I stand by my statement that Nintendo's cash and deposits are higher now by more than 1 billion USD than they were in April 2012.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
As I recall from college and following the paths of a few different corporations since then, there are no set rules for your fiscal year period. It's set by the corporation. GE for instance runs from January 1st-December 31st. Apple on the other hand ends their fiscal year at the end of September. Canada or Japan might be different though, I suppose, and have this governed by law with a standardized period.

And we're not doing some super detailed financial analysis here. The point was to give a rough idea utilizing Nintendo's own figures at how this statistic has varied in recent years, in order to give a rough indicator of Nintendo's financial fortune over the past 15 years or so and how their success in the marketplace is tied with this stat.

And if you're going to apply today's exchange rate to all these numbers, you'll have to first account for a different rate of inflation for each year and make the appropriate inflation adjustments. Otherwise you're just distorting numbers by converting those unchanged yen values by the latest exchange rate, rather than giving a more accurate picture of fluctuations here.

You're welcome to do it, but I don't care to nor do I see why anyone would have ever expected me to do it. Heck, like I already said, check Nintendo's own figures and you'll see that they don't even do it for this statistic. Hardly see why I should do it.

I feel like I've made my point that Nintendo has had to dip into their war chest and draw out billions over the past generation while not being able to replenish it to a significant degree after establishing themselves like has traditionally been done.

It's a solid indicator of the level of success that they've enjoyed and why they don't have unlimited resources. It's going to be crucial that they succeed with the NX here since their investors aren't likely to stand for another round like this.

Last edited:

laser

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matty
I feel like I've made my point that Nintendo has had to dip into their war chest and draw out billions over the past generation while not being able to replenish it to a significant degree after establishing themselves like has traditionally been done.

The argument I've been putting forward is that after a one-time massive decline in cash and deposits in (Nintendo's) FY 2011, presumably due to a failure to prepare for the crash of the Wii fad, they have regained about 25% of the loss, and during the tumultuous Wii U period to boot. The stock has recovered too, though the most recent gains are due to investor anticipation rather than increased income.

Since you brought up inflation, let's compare.

Again, the raw numbers:

March 31st, 2011 - 812,870 million yen (7.845 billion USD)
March 31st, 2012 - 462,021 million yen (4.458 billion USD, 3.387 billion USD decrease)
March 31st, 2016 - 570,448 million yen (5.505 billion USD, 1.047 billion USD or 23.5% increase)

Including results from April-May-June of this year:

June 31st, 2016 - 582,532 million yen (5.610.6 billion USD, 1.153 billion USD or 25.85% increase since March 31st, 2012)

Now, adjusted to the Japanese inflation rate:

812,870 million yen on March 31st, 2011 is now 832,669.7 million yen.
462,021 million yen on March 31st, 2012 is now 470,415.5 million yen.
570,448 milion yen on March 31st, 2016 is now 564,544.2 million yen.

Adjusted totals converted to USD at the current exchange rate:

March 31st, 2011 - 832,669.7 million yen = 8.02 billion USD
March 31st, 2012 - 470,415.5 million yen = 4.53 billion USD (3.49 billion USD decline)
March 31st, 2016 - 564,544.2 million yen = 5.44 billion USD (910 million USD, or 20% increase)

Including results from April-May-June of this year:

582,532 million yen on June 31st, 2016 is now 577,025.2 million yen.

June 31st, 2016 - 577,025.2 million yen = 5.557 billion USD (1.027 billion USD, or 22.67% increase since March 31, 2012)

So instead of being a 23/26 percent increase since 2012, it's actually a 20/23 percent increase. Still not bad considering what the company's had to deal with during that time...

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Lies!

:)

Is there some sort of videogame trade event going on, or just a coincidence that the Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer and this first glimpse of the NX would both be scheduled for the same day?

laser

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matty
Nintendo's Japanese Twitter says that tomorrow's video is only 3 minutes long. Curious...

It also reconfirms that NX is just the code name, so highly doubtful it'll be called that.

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/788900045089181696

And finally, Nintendo.com refers to it as a "home gaming system", which ought to discount any rumours about it being primarily a portable system.

P.S. The Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer will be released 1 hour afterwards. I'm positive that there's no relation, but talk about the stars aligning!

P.P.S. Mighty glad there's now something else to occupy me since the Toronto Blue Jays lost!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks