What's new

Nintendo HD console in 2012 ("Wii U") (1 Viewer)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
^^Sorry but that's fake. They've already officially said it won't play Bluray discs, they're using proprietary tech that's probably similar to bluray but without licensing fees. And it doesn't have an internal Hard Drive. It uses flash memory and external USB hard drives.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It appears it's a BDROM with it's own flash, apparently, damnit! Though as to the HDD, that's still not determined yet ;( But the 50G space is correct per disc.. the graphics processor and IBM processor are correct.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
No Hard Drive is confirmed; Internal Flash memory. USB hard drives.

IBM is making the processor but those specs aren't real. Although their press release doesn't give anything specific away outside of it being a 45 nanometer chip. (not 32)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think they've learned their lesson from the Wii, but this is still basically tech that is 4/5 years old with a new gimmick (....just like the Wii). I'm optimistic but I'll withhold judgment.

My main concern is playing a game away from my TV screen using the Wii U controller's screen but then losing the functionality that could be added by that screen. How would they handle this? I'm sure it's on a game-by-game basis.

Predictions on price? I'm guessing $249 for the console with a game packed in. As for extra Wii U controllers, I'm going to say $50-60 based on the fact that the controller is probably just a refashioned Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuk with the touch screen added on and no real innards for processing anything. The console probably does all the computing itself then shoots the video/audio to the controller (possibly at a lower resolution or sound fidelity to run quicker and reduce lag?) so it's not like they're throwing in a DS or PSP quality device with each console.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I think the assumption that the controllers will be $100 are thinking it's a tablet. Like you said, it's essentially a Wiimote with a resistive screen. It's not doing any game processing, so it doesn't need to be expensive.

As for the Vita & PS3 combo as a substitute -- that would be way more expensive than the Wii U bundle.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
To be honest, all I needed to see was HD Zelda. Goddamn, am I a mark for that series.

That said, I've gotten to the point where I really resent what Nintendo is turning into -- there doesn't seem much innovation in the new Wii, beyond bumping up the resolution and blending in DS-like control. Having said that, I already preemptively hate myself for buying one on launch-day next year.

There's a quote making the rounds from one of the higher-profile devs working on the Wii-U that, in terms of horsepower, it's just a shade under the 360. Meaning, graphically, the next Xbox/Playstation systems will likely take a crap on this thing from a very great height when the time comes.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
So games that "only" look as good as those on the 360 and PS3 currently (now that they've reached all of their graphical potential) is a bad thing? Chances are that Nintendo will launch their next console at a lower price than the PS3/360 are selling for in the Kinect/Move bundles right now. Beyond that, the games and the exclusive capabilities/content are what will drive the value of the console. Heck, Skyward Sword is using nearly 10 year old tech (if you consider the Wii to be as powerful as a GameCube) and people are already fawning over the screens for that.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
True -- it won't be all that bad at the outset, but in another five years or so, once the PS4 and Xbox 3 have been out for a bit, things could get kinda iffy. Nobody markets like Nintendo, though...chances are, they'll still find a way to stay competitive with those consoles.

Nintendo is just a strange company -- they have a chance here to hype the Wii-U as being a valid competitor against the 360/PS3, but they, of course, are completely focusing on their "innovation." So instead of mentioning that your standard multi-platform games can work with a classic controller, they bring up this oddball idea of having one Wii-U controller + everyone else having Wii-motes. As if that's something that's ever going to get heavy support.

I think we'll have to rely on third parties hyping the possibility of Wii-U being worthy as a true "next-gen" system for the hardcore gamer. Some early reports are certainly suggesting that, but to me, it seems like we'll really have to wait and see what Nintendo does with its online functionality.

I can't see it toppling the 360 as the priority system for games like Call of Duty, for example, unless they put a real robust Live/PSN-type service into action.

(Also, Tekken coming to a Nintendo home console for the first time ever? We probably saw more blood spilled in that quick sizzle-reel than we've ever seen at a Nintendo E3 showing before.)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Something you mentioned got me thinking. They never showed a picture of more than one Wii U controller being used at a time. Why? Do they expect it to be a single-person experience or just that people will only use one at a time and every extra player will use the Wii remote? I wonder if the console can handle sending multiple video streams to multiple Wii U controllers at the same time or not.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
You're right (and I never caught that, myself) -- and it's gonna be one hideously-expensive controller, no matter what happens. What happens in head-to-head games like the new Smash Bros. or the LEGO games, if more than one person's trying to get in on the action?

Also, wasn't one of the big complaints about the original, original Xbox was that the controller was cumbersome as fuck?

I can't recall anyone ever saying, "I wish I could control my console with an iPad!" The Wiimote was a brilliant concept, because it made controlling games a simpler and more intuitive experience. This thing looks like a tablet pity-fucked the ugliest gamepad ever designed.

We now know that Nintendo themselves never figured out exactly why the Wii was a hit.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think you're sort of misreading the Wii U. It looks like the console is just a Wii HD but with a new controller. Think of it as an extension of the classic controller, the zapper, balance board, etc. as a new device that the console uses. The Wii U still has a sensor bar that goes above/below your TV and it looks like the games that would be appealing to that mass audience would probably still be made to work with the Wii remote. I doubt that grandma is going to be annoyed that Darksiders II plays better with the dual joysticks than with waggle controls.

From the things I've read and videos I've seen, the new controller appears to be large but still lighter than an iPad, so it's not quite as annoying/cumbersome to use for a longer period of time. Also, the Xbox original controller was ugly and bulky, but that was a negative because the buttons were placed too far apart and in an odd configuration for no reason due to it's size. If there was a giant touchscreen in the middle then it would have been a different story.

I just read a snippet of an interview with someone from Nintendo where they said they envision each household having maybe two of these new controllers at most, either due to the cost or the size/use factor. My guess is that this is going to be used to add functionality to games (think GBA-to-GCN connectivity features) rather than be the primary use for them. Really, aside from the right joystick, can you not really accomplish with a Wii remote that this new controller adds? If you're playing a game on the new controller's screen (instead of the TV) then you can use the touch screen in place of any pointer controls and still shake the controller for motion stuff. Aside from that...what does it REALLY add?

In terms of multiplayer games, I'm guessing that we'll get something like the demo being shown off for the 5-player game (similar to Pac-Man Vs. for GameCube) or it will be games that don't have much of a difference between using the new controller and using a Wii remote. Nintendo seems to be showing this off as a new device that is really neat, but not something people are going to be compelled to buy 3 extra ones for when the console first launches so you can have a four person gaming party that night.

My biggest question going forward is software. Frankly, Nintendo showed a bunch of demos (the Zelda video is just a demo, in the same way the Dolphin video of the Zelda that never came to exist was a demo) and announced some third-party support but didn't officially announce any Nintendo-brand games. Since we have TGS, possibly CES, another Space World, and maybe even another E3 before this thing is even out, we have plenty of time to see some real games get announced. Hopefully the first three months of the Wii U being out have a better software lineup than the 3DS has gotten.

Also, the one question I REALLY REALLY REALLY want answered: will the Wii U upconvert graphics from Wii games? I want to see Super Mario Galaxy 2 in HD!

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Morgan Jolley

Also, the one question I REALLY REALLY REALLY want answered: will the Wii U upconvert graphics from Wii games? I want to see Super Mario Galaxy 2 in HD!

They answered that; No.

I think you hit on something earlier, if they had just made this the Wii HD, presented it as an evolution, it would be better accepted right now. A lot of people wanted that.

Instead they started early rumblings about how they were getting back the hardcore gamers, taking a lot of people by surprise and getting their hopes up. The reveal has been pretty underwhelming, but they did it to themselves.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wish they could have come out and said, "Rage, day one. LA Noire, day one. And, your first look, GTA V, day one." Instant show winner. Seriously, offtopic, but Rage looks fing amazing. http://bethblog.com/wp-content/plugins/age-verification.php?redirect_to=http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/06/03/rage-the-well-official-gameplay-trailer/ Of course, other that GTA V, those will all be old next year.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
To be sure, the main issue for the Wii was never really the technology. The Wii is still innovative technology at work. However, they bet the farm on casual gamers becoming serious gamers, and that shift never happened, which is why brilliant "transition" titles like Boom Blox and WarioWare Smooth Moves sold dick; meanwhile, Party/Carnival Games sold well enough to warrant many sequels.

They opened themselves up to shovelware so old people could exercise, bowl, and play darts at home, and the system only stayed financially viable because of those.

Nintendo has its heart in the right place, bless 'em, but despite their sincerest efforts, they are not creating any new gamers. They're just further alienating the ones who want what they've been selling already. Much as I wish it still existed, I feel like in the course of only a few games, Clover Studios did what Nintendo should've done, financial viability be damned.

And if they really buckle down in the race for the NEXT next-gen (which, as I've read in places, Sony has said they won't be putting in as much of a stake), and if Nintendo can finally bundle this different shit with the required horsepower to court the serious gamers, then I think we'll see some big, big, interesting shit coming soon from The "N."

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think that overloading the Wii with a variety of software was not a bad idea. To suggest that a platform can only have hardcore OR casual titles is wrong. It's like saying PCs can only play Crysis or FarmVille. The problem is that gaming is viewed as a niche or hobby thing, so shelf space in stores doesn't reflect varying styles or interests. Look at the sections for DVDs/BDs/CDs/etc. in any department store. Now look at the section for videogames. There's a big difference.

When I look at my Wii, PS3, and 360 collections and I remove all of the third-party multi-platform games, there's not much of a quality or quantity difference between them. However, third parties sort of abandoned the Wii for multi-platform games due to the graphical inequality and perception of how they could sell the Wii version of a hardcore game to a person who probably owned more than just a Wii. THIS is the reason the Wii's software lineup was plagued with crap games and their sequels. The only games available in abundance were the ones made by Nintendo or aimed at a casual crowd.

The fact that the Wii U is similar in graphical quality to the PS3/360 means that the difference between platforms is now actually based on the unique capabilities of those platforms (Move, Kinect, XBL, friends lists, Wii U controller, etc.) instead of the options being "Wii or something else with better graphics." The ability for a game to have a unique interface AND graphical parity with the alternatives puts Nintendo in a strong position....until something new comes from MS or Sony, both of which now have 1 year to come up with something to steal the Wii U's thunder before it comes out.

Also, Nintendo seems to be marketing the Wii U controller as "one controller per Wii U console" and not selling additional ones. I guess this means that the primary control method will be the Wii Remote.

Sidenote about Rage: I will no longer believe that iD can make a good game, but rather just a pretty game. This is unfortunately the reason I have zero interest in Rage.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't know. The gameplay in the video looks awesome. I like the Pinkies and the Quakola Quayons.

Cool. Super Mario 3DS has a Zelda tribute level to celebrate the 25th. Mario in a Zelda-like dungeon.

Also, Pikmin is now for the Wii U instead of the Wii.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It appears that my vision of LAN party style deathmatches using the Wii U controller was premature. From the way Miyamoto is talking about it, it sounds like they haven't really looked into utilizing the Wii U controller in a multiplayer environment.

Well, with that out the window, my plan of Zelda SS being my console game swan song looks more and more likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks